2017 vw Jetta se vs 2017 Ford fusion se

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1O

Hey all. Bought a 2017 vw Jetta se from a local dealer and took it back yesterday due to them not disclosing it was a salvage titled car. Had the car for 2 days. So I have been on line and found another 17 Jetta se for 12900 with 13000 miles . Also found 2 different 17 Ford fusions se for 12769 and 13138 both have about 27000 to 23000 miles on them. One is the 2.5 liter n/a motor the other is the 1.5 liter EcoBoost. All three cars are equipped with touchscreens and the Jetta has a sunroof heated seats vtex seating surfaces. The fusion's are base se models with sync 3. Have driven both vehicles through work . All 3 are auto transmission as the girlfriend has to be able to drive it too. Which would you get? All finance at around the same payment. This is a car I will keep for 6 years

Fusion looks like an Aston Martin; Jetta is style-resistant.
I'd say go for the Fusion. 2.5L engine preferred, unless MPG is a priority for you, in which case the 1.5L would be more fuel efficient.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Once you have heated seats you don't want to go back to ice buckets. Jetta also looks less like the Aston Martin's fat sister and more like the German girl in the Porsche from Super Troopers.

If you don't intend on getting a tune on either, go NA.
Originally Posted by KGMtech
In short, the VW will be far more fun to own and drive, but a bit less reliable than the Ford Fusion.
No VWs owned? Check.

Driving fun, Jetta. hands down.
Refinement, reliability, Fusion. if you go with the Fusion, choose the 2.5 and not the EcoBoost. more reliable and durable.

Is your GF attractive? Jetta's tend to have more attractive looking women behind the wheel than the Fusion does.

There are no VW dealers in or around Zanesville however.?

You could teach your GF how to drive a stick if you ran across a deal with a stick, it's not rocket science.

"This is a car I will keep for 6 years"? Does that mean you'll have a 6 year loan on it? Try to pay more on it each month if that's the case.

Also to note, you will take a credit ding for your second loan application which could impact the interest you pay.

I'd get the Jetta only because every retired woman in Zanesville has a Fusion.

Yeah the 2.5 motor is tried and true but as an auto tech I have worked on both. Vw requires a different tool set which I have and both are now using one use bolts for everything. Fuel economy is number 1 on the list as I drive 90 miles a day

The one that had a salvage title was a stick I loved it. But took it to the shop and the alignment rack revealed that the sub frame was damage. Confirmed by my friend at a body shop

Originally Posted by A1O
Yeah the 2.5 motor is tried and true but as an auto tech I have worked on both. Vw requires a different tool set which I have and both are now using one use bolts for everything. Fuel economy is number 1 on the list as I drive 90 miles a day
The 1.5L Ecoboost would give you around +2 MPG over the 2.5L. About an 8% savings in gasoline.
I have the Fusion Hybrid's powertrain in my Ford C-Max, and I know you'd get between 36 MPG to 50 MPG with that powertrain option. Used Hybrids are available from rental car companies, and other sources. I do love that planetary gearset Hybrid powertrain (no clutches, no torque convertors, yay!).

No DI on the hybrid, or the 2.5L engine either, so no intake valve deposits & no carbon soot in the oil.... Port fuel injection cleans the intake valves as you drive, and no DI soot in oil.

A non-Hybrid Fusion with the 1.5L Ecoboost is interesting too, as you can really feel that turbo kick in even though displacement is small. I've got a GM 1.5L turbo, and its annoying off the line due to turbo lag, but it spins up (torque) very well once you get moving just a little.

Last edited:
I have looked at Both the fusion hybrid and the c-max I have a 2015 c-max sel on my saved list. It has 40598 miles on it they want 12954 for it. I am a little weary of it as I have no experience with hybrids as we dont see many of them

Originally Posted by A1O
I have looked at Both the fusion hybrid and the c-max I have a 2015 c-max sel on my saved list. It has 40598 miles on it they want 12954 for it. I am a little weary of it as I have no experience with hybrids as we dont see many of them
I like my '15 C-Max SE, getting 44 MPG average (range is 35 MPG to 50 MPG really), trouble free.
The C-Max has the Fusion Hybrid powertrain, and it's very good. Only get the C-Max if you want the hatchback....... C-Max is based on the Ford Focus platform, & is a 2" shortened version of the Ford Escape platform too. ...Handles and steers very well with the control-blade rear suspension Focus hot-hatch enthusiasts love.
Fusion Hybrid has the looks, styling, and has slightly better aerodynamics.
Its cool Ford now has police and taxi versions of the Fusion Hybrid available these days too.

Hatchback is fine with me I do like the look of the c-max it's a mini minivan and sel trim is a very nice vehicle

Get the Fusion 2.5. That engine has been around for a while and is reliable. Now if you can score a 2.0T, even better.

I have a '17 Fusion with the 1.5 Ecoboost. It lacks balls. Not enough power by any means.

Get the 2.5.

the naturally aspirated NONE DI VW 2.5 is a great trouble free engine. girlfriend had an 08 + it is better mpg's than her crappy 15 DI malibu except on a long trip, but still close. she had 7x,xxx trouble free miles until her mistake trading on a crapy Malibu!

Originally Posted by benjy
the naturally aspirated NONE DI VW 2.5 is a great trouble free engine. girlfriend had an 08 + it is better mpg's than her crappy 15 DI malibu except on a long trip, but still close. she had 7x,xxx trouble free miles until her mistake trading on a crapy Malibu!
2.slow was still available up until 2015 or so in the Jetta S. I'm not sure when they finally got rid of it, but you would be driving what hasn't rusted away to the scrapyard with that mill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back