Any Mazda experts here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As previoiusly mentioned, the dealer replaced the OCV valve the first time, but they rushed the job and didn't properly seal the valve cover. I had to take it back so they could redo the valve cover. Two months later, the OCV was leaking again, only worse. So I went back a 3rd time and they replaced the valve cover, valve cover gasket and OCV. This was about a month ago. Today I noticed it leaking from the top of the valve. It only occurs when I bring the rpms above 4.5k. I'm about to give up on it.

24CFF60B-0C76-4E23-9A1F-F0942918AC45.png

No Expert. Owned a Miata and a 626. Od issues with those I coould list.

How much is it "weeping" ? I've gave up on worrying about weeps. My toyota yaris had oil coming out of everywhere with synthetic in her

If its leaking a lot, Back again I suppose.

At least they fix things for you. My dealers say " they all do that - that's normal!"

Or they mess with something I never authorised and wreck the car. Like with my old Hyundai Sonata MT lube job. They ruined a perfectly good car.

Good luck. - Ken

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
How is your PCV valve?

I don't know. It's a PITA to check. I opened up the oil cap and felt very slight suction while the engine was running. How else could I check it without remove the intake manifold?

Unless they never actually replaced the actual OCV?

Mine has been seeping for about three years now, started at about 130k-140k miles, I just keep wiping it off every once in a while. Original PCV, BTW.
If you feel slight suction at the oil fill cap, which is what I feel as well at over 170k miles now, the PCV is fine. This sits right near the timing chain and cam sprockets, so it is constantly being sprayed by the oil being slung by these components.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Mine has been seeping for about three years now, started at about 130k-140k miles, I just keep wiping it off every once in a while. Original PCV, BTW.
If you feel slight suction at the oil fill cap, which is what I feel as well at over 170k miles now, the PCV is fine. This sits right near the timing chain and cam sprockets, so it is constantly being sprayed by the oil being slung by these components.

How strong was the suction? It was very weak what I felt.

Suction? If I pop off the oil filler cap while the engine is running it's shooting oil droplets and air like a worn out diesel

Originally Posted by buster

Yes it's weak, but it will keep the oil cap on.

Originally Posted by E150GT
Suction? If I pop off the oil filler cap while the engine is running it's shooting oil droplets and air like a worn out diesel

On my Mazda it will also sling some oil through the fill hole, but that's because there is a cam lobe directly below without a baffle.

Originally Posted by buster

Yes it's weak, but it will keep the oil cap on.

Umm, if I pop the cap on my Accord its puffing bursts of air out. No suction whatsoever.

I haven't done a volume calculation, but I would guess (and always thought) the total crankcase air volume changes at certain crank angles and is "pulsed" by the pistons moving up and down - even though the two middle pistons are moving up as number 1 and 4 are moving down - with a flat crank.

I just saw some youtube videos on crankcase pressure testing on an Audi that was blowing oil out of seals. Maybe check some of them out.
smile.gif

It just doesn't make sense, and the oil is now coming from the top of the valve.

I took my car on a long highway drive last week and it stayed dry. I have no explanation as to why it seeps but I can sa with confidence it's quite common among Mazda engines. It's likely just the nature of the part design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back