AC Delco promotional video: "glass filled nylon core"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good marketing and promotion for the ecore type cage. Of course not mentioned, not all ACDelco filters use the ecore centertube, many use classic metal.
56.gif
That includes but not limited to the oft preferred UPF series Ultraguard Gold filters.

Should we take advice from someone who wears his hat backwards?
Did he "forget" to tell us the flimsy paper AC-Delco media can break free through the huge gaps in the e-core?

All this marketing just to say the centre tube is made of some strong plastic. Has anyone ever seen a plastic centre tube collapse? I don't like the large holes it has and I think the filter media/material has to be very strong with this design. Here is a pic of a Purolator filter from a few years ago where the media was pushed in past the ribs of the cage resulting in numerous holes.
[Linked Image]

Same people that bash acdelco for using plastic give fram a pass for using a plastic bpv and almost tinfoil guage center tube.

LOL must not be aware of many parts ag & industrial manufacturers switching to glass filled nylon parts. My company can give you an injection molded glass filled nylon part with the strength of steel at 1/4 the cost of steel and 1/3 the weight. We make many ag planter and hay handling parts. Due to the new nylon resins available, we can't keep up with companies moving from steel to plastic. You can't compare today's glass filled nylon materials to "normal" plastic.

Dave

Those glass filled, low surface energy plastics can be very tough. Also very hard to work with and repair...

The cage being open doesn't worry me one bit. Plenty of cartridge filters have minimal internal support and work just fine. It's a fear over nothing.

Polymer filled with fiberglass. Some use steal
Most our guns now a days use the same thing.

Not for or against it. Lots of experience in injection molding....

Not seeing a problem with it at all. Glass filled nylon is tough stuff, most power tools use it as the case and we know how rugged they are.

I've noticed they also have a filter for our Kia/Hyundai engines now. Wemay have you tried those by any chance?

First Ecore I cut open on my 2007 Silverado I saw VERY shallow pleats due to large diameter centertube. You can see the shallow pleats in the video of the crossection if you hit pause. This . leads to significant loss of filter media area. then there is the design problem that WobblyElvis posted about. Cage has sharp edges that will tear fibreglass media in cold starts.

Originally Posted by SlavaB
I've noticed they also have a filter for our Kia/Hyundai engines now. Wemay have you tried those by any chance?

Hi SlavB,

Not AC Delco but yes, the very similar SuperTECH ecore. A few times in the previous Sonata GDi 2.4 and once in the Santa Fe 2.0T. The ST9688 worked just fine for ~5K mile intervals. No rattles, start-up noise etc. I cut one open after use in the Santa Fe and it held up exemplary well. No tears, odd pleats or media coming through the center tube. These are marketed as 10K mile filters so I doubt <5K is pushing it. I really don't know why I haven't used it more often...maybe I will. I'm a Dnewton3 (bitog member) fan and his logical, analytical approach to the oil change process is beginning to penetrate my dome, at least where filtering is concerned since he'd consider 5K on syn...a sin. Even at $15.xx a jug.

The Ecore has improved since the early days-they made the cage openings/windows smaller, and Champ (usually) started putting more media in them. Really not a flimsy design at all, as long as they don't scrimp on the media. Video is pretty much marketing fluff piece, though.

Completely with you on it being fluff. I was more interested in his description of the center tube materials. I'd never heard of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back