Wagner OEX vs Akebono ProACT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need front pads. The Akebono are almost twice the price of the Wagner.
What are forum members experience or preference?

I put the Wagner OEX on my 2012 F-150 and I had no troubles with them. I think they stopped better than stock and the price was right.

IMO Akebono is better quality and longer lasting pad, plus they have OE manufacturing for alot of makes. But I have used the Wagners with no issues as well, really up to your wallet. For half price, Id probably go Wagner.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
I've used Akebono Pro-Act on two different cars. I won't use anything else.
At least when it comes to my Honda applications, pretty much the way I feel. Are they worth the significant price difference here over the OEX? Having no experience with the latter can't say. I will say the 'imo' the OEX design 'seems' a little gimmicky. But again that's just my opinion.

I'd add that reading a repeated anecdote blaming ProAct for pulsation, not in my experience. As ProAct popular and used for many applications, too many other variables imo to point to causation.

I have Wagner OEX on the rear of my 08 Liberty for about 15K miles now. I am very happy with them and will be installing a set on the front shortly.

If the brake pads are for the vehicle in your signature, why not use OEM? First time replacing? The front pads lasted 80k miles. Despite what people say about OEM, Toyota brakes are quality products.

If you just want another brand, I've had good luck with Wagner in the past.

Akebono pads are awesome and worth the money
smile.gif

But if you don't want to spend that much, there is nothing wrong with the OEX

Once the ones in my car wear out, I will buy akebono pads. I think they are worth the money. But you can't go wrong with either.

Originally Posted by dtownfb
If the brake pads are for the vehicle in your signature, why not use OEM? First time replacing? The front pads lasted 80k miles. Despite what people say about OEM, Toyota brakes are quality products.

If you just want another brand, I've had good luck with Wagner in the past.

I already bought Akebono but I wanted to see what the forum has been buying. Toyota pads were more the Akebono so I went with the Akebonos.

I've used Akebono on a lot of applications and always had great results. They came OE/factory on my 2007 Mustang GT and were pretty much brand new at 20k miles of hard driving on the street. Dust and noise is minimal, and they seem to be easy on the rotors as well.

I personally don't like Wagners on Japanese cars - the pads don't fit right in the caliper brackets. Akebono is the way to go, but from that The Critic told me they do leave more deposits on the rotors which may or may not cause pedal pulsation down the road. From my experiences, they work OK. However, on American cars I like Wagner - no problems with 3 sets of ThermoQuiets installed on a Explorer and a Tahoe(no longer friends with the owner, after some unsavory findings).

Toyota's old TCMC pads(to compete with the aftermarket) were close to Akebono ProACTs. Toyota switched back to Advics for the 2nd gen TCMC series - but shims are no longer provided. I have the first gen TCMC pads on my parent's Sienna and they are getting chatty.

Wagner OEX, great grab and built to disapate heat, I use them on both my vehciles and am happy with them. The channels are well thought out and the material is great at stopping with next to no dust. The shims are great too, for some reason oem shims are junk, these are soft and will never come off. That is a squeek point on many oem brakes, not present wanger oex. Never heard of the other brakes, I'm sure they are good.

One thing I did do it re-use factory clips, because the wagner oex has a warning clip, which means with maybe 5k miles left pn pads they will dig into rotors and let you know time to chnage. Of course ruins rotor. You see how the clean clip drops down further? Well that is the part that will dig into rotor. If you re-use rotors, use factory clips or snip that piece off.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back