The case for quitting Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PPWarrior
I quit facebook when my job management said whoever was caught posting on news networks or politics would be written up.

That seems a bit controlling. Work shouldn't dictate what you do with your personal life! Haha

I never had facebook, nor the desire to, the closest to social media I get are online forums like this. That's it!

I tried giving it up, but the Facebook marketplace is nice. Much better than CL because you actually see who you're dealing with.

As far as updating my status with my location, what I'm doing etc., no thanks.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I tried giving it up, but the Facebook marketplace is nice. Much better than CL because you actually see who you're dealing with.

As far as updating my status with my location, what I'm doing etc., no thanks.

I don't get Facebook marketplace. It has about 10% of the listed items Craigslist does so the selection is really lame. As far as seeing who you are dealing with....sure you can see their page and photos but what does that tell you? I have done CL extensively for a long time. I generally don't have an issue since I insist on actually "talking" to people on the phone before I bother to go see what they are selling. There are a lot of flakes out there no doubt, that's why I like to use the phone first.

Originally Posted by jongies3
I quit facebook when my job management said whoever was caught posting on news networks or politics would be written up.

That seems a bit controlling. Work shouldn't dictate what you do with your personal life! Haha

I agree. While what one puts on FB may be telling of their character, routine snooping is a real concern. At least until there's other basis behind it (eg an employee going on vacation or having a second job, and lying about it).

But people spending ANY time on FB while at work (unless on a dedicated lunchtime), IMO is a big no-no.

I fell asleep with chapter 5 on my face but did not quit the book entirely …

Originally Posted by philipp10
I don't get Facebook marketplace. It has about 10% of the listed items Craigslist does so the selection is really lame. As far as seeing who you are dealing with....sure you can see their page and photos but what does that tell you? I have done CL extensively for a long time. I generally don't have an issue since I insist on actually "talking" to people on the phone before I bother to go see what they are selling. There are a lot of flakes out there no doubt, that's why I like to use the phone first.

Locally, CL is full of flakes that don't return calls and leave ads up/re-advertise forever. FB Marketplace isn't perfect but I've had more luck in a few transactions than I've had in a dozen attempted CL contacts.

YMMV, results depend upon various factors, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

I agree. While what one puts on FB may be telling of their character, routine snooping is a real concern. At least until there's other basis behind it (eg an employee going on vacation or having a second job, and lying about it).

But people spending ANY time on FB while at work (unless on a dedicated lunchtime), IMO is a big no-no.

Defaming your employer on social media can be valid grounds for dismissal. Also making a big public stink (politics, etc.) while listing your employer conspicuously can get you called into the HR or manager's office.

I had an account, used it a lot, found it to be a huge time waster so I deleted the account after I backed up my data.

Then after some months and friends/family members that only used Facebook Messenger to communicate and refused to use e-mail or other methods
mad.gif

I decided to get another account again but now I just use it for messenger and so I can see pictures of family members that don't live close by.

I don't post anything personal and I don't even have pictures of me on there or anything else along the same lines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JHZR2

I had one tenant that posted that she was going to punch someone's lights out. Not exactly the type of tenant I was looking for. I declined her application. I also decline when tenants want to be my friend.

No sane company wants to employ people whose behaviour reflects badly on them, in or out of work.

Originally Posted by StevieC
friends/family members that only used Facebook Messenger to communicate and refused to use e-mail or other methods
mad.gif

I decided to get another account again but now I just use it for messenger and so I can see pictures of family members that don't live close by.

Yeah, if they can't give you pictures any other way, you don't need them anyway.

The thread title is sort of a trick question, but the ultimate answer is never join in the first place. I seriously think I'd rather part with a limb than be forced to use fb everyday. It's literally the definition of cancer.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Facebook is a risk for those of us who need to search for a job.

I don't have anything that would incriminate me in that way and I keep it well locked down so nothing appears to those that aren't my friend.

Originally Posted by emg

No sane company wants to employ people whose behaviour reflects badly on them, in or out of work.

My niece unfortunately and she is so worth it.

Originally Posted by emg

On one hand, if you're dumb enough to publicly put where you work on Facebook, and I don't know why people would ever put where they work on Facebook at all, you get whatever is coming your way. But if Joe Blow is stirring the pot, but never says where he works, who cares?

My boss once told me he tried looking me up, all he could see was my profile picture and cover, which he had to explain to his wife he said.
lol.gif

EDA93885-40C9-4222-982F-188435E914F1.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back