"The new" Mobil 1 Racing Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

Would you use this in your daily driver? I know what I think,but curious as to what others opinion are?

VOA in text form - 0w30

Elements PPM
ALUMINUM 0
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 2
COPPER 0
LEAD 2
TIN 2
MOLYBDENUM 1654
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 6
BORON 118
SILICON 14
SODIUM 8
CALCIUM 3152
MAGNESIUM 8
PHOSPHORUS 2202
ZINC 2442
BARIUM 0

cSt Viscosity @ 100�C 62.9
SUS Viscosity @ 210�F 11.03
Flashpoint in �F 415
Fuel % -
Antifreeze % -
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.0
TBN 9.9
TAN
ISO Code

roil.png

Last edited:
I would not. Ph is VERY high. Street racing and high HP engines only need 1200 ppm and from what I've read, over 1200 ppm and engine wear begins to increase. There are plenty of street M1 products to choose from (M1 HM 10w30).

Allow me to mention something that hasn't been mentioned yet. How about supplementing 1 quart of the M1 Racing oil,as a "so called oil additive".
Say you have a vehicle that holds 7 qts,and you use your go to full synthetic oil for the first 6 qts,and then for the 7th qt you add 1 qt of the M1 racing oil?

Thoughts ??????

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Thickie Nirvana!
laugh.gif

Yea, so much for thin oil for racing. lol

All kidding aside I'm sure there will be plenty of Bitoger's using this for part of a Frankenbrew.

Holy moly! That's getting it done! Lots of Zn & P too, I wouldn't use this in anything with a cat, but this would work in a non-emissioned car for track day, for sure. So much for the theory that over 2000 PPM of ZDDP is automatically bad, this has an overdose of both.

I have thought of this as in the past, as I opined the only SYNTHETIC oil that EXxon Mobil sold was the 0w20 EP and the M1 racing.

I would do a 1.5 quarts per 5qt into a sump sump of M1 AP. This is a primary PAO base so no use making it a semi blend using anything less than M1 AP.

And I hear M1 AP is "on sale" now.

Than leave the oil in for 10K miles/1 year !

Any thing less would be idiotic.

And in a Turbo? NO!
It likely wouldnt pass TEOST with all that moly,

I wouldn't use any more than 5% of the sump with this Racing oil. The rest can be any M1 syn street oil. Mixing is kind of risky. 5% would boost moly by 80 ppm. Normal silver bottle M1 5w30 has about 70 ppm moly already, so this takes it up to 150 ppm with just 5% Racing oil in the sump, not bad, and it should be OK. Probably won't get much, if any, clash, and you'd get less friction with more moly.

Last edited:
Mix a little M1 0w30 Racing oil with some 5w30 Kendall GT-1 Max that has 80ppm Titanium. WOWSER!!!

Last edited:
I see no need to use such an oil in a daily driver. The incredible additive package is really too much for ideal street use. The ideal oil situation for a daily driver includes the choice of a quality synthetic oil of sufficient viscosity and frequent oil changes.

However, I've been known to drive highly modified cars that require much more robust oils than the manufacturer states.

Last edited:
No.

Pick a good oil to start with. No need to try to improve what has been researched and tested to meet strict standards. That is folly.

It's weird stuff.
Why does a racing oil need a TBN of 9.9?
Does it need the sky-high zddp content because it has such high TBN?
Why formulate a racing oil that can meet 0W low temperature specs?
Then how much VII does it have that may make it prone to shearing in continuous high-rpm operation?
There are other Mobil 1 blends that have higher flashpoints, and possibly lower NOACK numbers.
About the only use I see for this oil is to boost Moly and ZDDP in other oils as an additive.

I wouldn't use it by itself. I especially wouldn't want to blend it due to possible incompatibility issues. As mentioned, the ZDDP level is way to high for street use. At those levels, it's actually corrosive and can cause spalling problems. From what I've gathered, ZDDP should not exceed ~3%(wt, ~1920 ppm zinc) of the total oil composition for a street engine.

I'd run M1 FS 0w-40 long before I'd consider using this oil.

the word RACING is thrown around a lot incorrectly, that oil like Redlines real RACING oils are just that meant for racing with a lot of protective additives but little for longevity!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back