Coil Spring Isolators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for a consensus from a few people.
If I wanted to raise the ride height of a car and inch or so, could I do so by adding OE coil spring isolators to the bottom as well as the top of the front coil spring? The car in question is the 1981 380SL I have been working on for the past two years. The OE coil springs are shot and I found a set of H&R sport springs which has the perfect balance of firmness and comfort. The front springs lower the front end by 50mm (1.97"). I only wanted to lower the front end by no more than an inch. The OE Mercedes isolators are 23mm (.905") thick and are only on the top of the spring. If I were to get another pair of isolators and install them on the bottom of the spring; could this work to bring the front end up by almost an inch? My biggest concerns are (1) rust from lack of drainage at the control arm. And (2) since the control arm moves and the spring perch at the top is stationary; Could the movement of the control arm eventually cause a lower isolator to work itself off?
I worked on a friends 2005 Silverado 1500 2WD front suspension a few months ago and there were isolators at the top and bottom of the front coil springs. But the Moog and GM replacement front spring kits both call for the omission of the lower isolator due to issues of the lower coil spring isolator walking off the control arm. Most cars and light trucks I have seen do not have front coil spring isolators on the bottom of the spring. This tells me this might not be such a good idea.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Thank you for posting this, you gave me some clarity on my issue of wanting to lower the rear of my already lowered 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T that has Eibach lowering springs in it. I want the rear 1/2 lower for looks and handling. I just ordered upper and lower OEM isolators from a discount OEM online store so I can get measurements for some polyurethane red isolators that I can machine down to being very thin on top and bottom. You brought up a good point on no isolators on the lower spring that I have too seen is more the norm. I will try taking the lower isolators out of the picture and concentrate on shaving the uppers to get my rear end lowered to a better level. Every 1/8th /1/4 inch counts.

http://www.energysuspension.com/universal-products/coil-spring-isolators.html

I would go with OE springs again if looking to raise the ride. Like roofless said, the car is probably sagging to begin with and this will get you back to stock height.

Originally Posted by Audios
I would go with OE springs again if looking to raise the ride. Like roofless said, the car is probably sagging to begin with and this will get you back to stock height.

He wants the car 1" lower than it is now, and has performance springs that lower the car 2" compared to new factory ride height.

I think he'll get what he wants by just installing the new springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back