Recommendation for Oil & filter for 2015 Honda CR-V SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I'm trino15 from Toronto and new in this forum.

I owned a 2015 CR-V SE last month. The 1st owner always maintained the SUV with dealer and his driving was 80 city and 20 highway in Toronto. When I owned the SUV the mileage was 57600 km and the oil life was remaining 70% as per MM.

In my case, I'll be driving the SUV mostly in city (95% of time).

Need your advice on which Engine Oil and oil filter will best fit my SUV? Which change interval should I follow - MM OR drive some specific kilometres and then change?

TIA

Honda has pretty good engines. I hope it has a manual transmission because the autos in those are not that great-- they might be jatco. Anyways, any SN Plus rated motor oil might do the trick. Just make sure it is synthetic so that it gets to temp faster.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Honda has pretty good engines. I hope it has a manual transmission because the autos in those are not that great-- they might be jatco. Anyways, any SN Plus rated motor oil might do the trick. Just make sure it is synthetic so that it gets to temp faster.

How is it going to get to temp faster?

Our CRV from my signature has 160k km mostly on Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 or 0w30 oil and Wix 7356 filters replaced every 8000 km. Uses no oil. 0w30 makes the VTC rattle at cold appear quieter to me.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior

Thanks for replying PPWarrior!

I think 2015 is the year when Honda started CR-Vs with CVT. Is there any difference among the 0W-20 of Mobil 1 EP, PP Ultra and Castrol Magnatec?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GimmeTorq
Our CRV from my signature has 160k km mostly on Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 or 0w30 oil and Wix 7356 filters replaced every 8000 km. Uses no oil. 0w30 makes the VTC rattle at cold appear quieter to me.

The manual recommends using 0w-20. Wondering using 0w-30 in CVT will create any problem?

Keep in mind that the 2015 CRV had a DI engine that is prone to fuel dilution. This tendency is worse in cold weather/short trip driving conditions. So whatever oil you use, watch for increasing levels on the dipstick and change oil more frequently the the Maintenance Minder suggests.

I have this CRV and UOAs of 0w-20 have shown >5% fuel and 100C viscosity in the low-mid 6s cSt after a starting point of 8.8 or so. If warranty isn't a concern you might consider a xx w-30 to preserve viscosity. In any event, any SN/SN Plus full synthetic would work fine but imho frequent oil changes are much more important than oil brand.

To make frequent changes easier, take advantage of Honda's recommendation to change the oil filter at every other oil change and invest in a oil extractor. Makes a filterless oil change a snap.

And for those that continue to bash CVTs, please point me to a single example in any forum of a Honda CVT failure.

Last edited:
Which engine is in this one the 1.5T or 2.4? Note Canadian spec may not line up with US spec.

Honda filters are fine.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Which engine is in this one the 1.5T or 2.4? Note Canadian spec may not line up with US spec.

Honda filters are fine.

It's 2.4

Originally Posted by trino15

Honda filters are fine.
It's 2.4
Sounds like you have the K24W "Earth Dreams" engine, same as my son's 2016 Accord. This engine has proven to have a fuel dilution problem for us with 80% highway miles, so I imagine that could only be worse with a lot of city miles. We've used 0W-20 M1 EP with a Fram XG-7317 for the last 22K miles, and the UOAs have shown high levels of both Al and Fe. We plan to bump it up to a 5W-30 if this does not improve with the next UOA.

Originally Posted by Danh
Keep in mind that the 2015 CRV had a DI engine that is prone to fuel dilution. This tendency is worse in cold weather/short trip driving conditions. So whatever oil you use, watch for increasing levels on the dipstick and change oil more frequently the the Maintenance Minder suggests.

I have this CRV and UOAs of 0w-20 have shown >5% fuel and 100C viscosity in the low-mid 6s cSt after a starting point of 8.8 or so. If warranty isn't a concern you might consider a xx w-30 to preserve viscosity. In any event, any SN/SN Plus full synthetic would work fine but imho frequent oil changes are much more important than oil brand.

To make frequent changes easier, take advantage of Honda's recommendation to change the oil filter at every other oil change and invest in a oil extractor. Makes a filterless oil change a snap.

And for those that continue to bash CVTs, please point me to a single example in any forum of a Honda CVT failure.

Hi Danh, previous owner used to change oil between MM 10-15%. In my case, changing oil at what point of MM (e.g. 20%, 30% etc) you think will help preventing fuel dilution?

Just use what the owners manual calls for and Honda OEM filters. The CRV will outlast your desire to keep it. Now I don't follow the owners manual in that I do a filter change every time with the OEM filters, but according to Honda that is not necessary.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy

Honda filters are fine.
It's 2.4
Sounds like you have the K24W "Earth Dreams" engine, same as my son's 2016 Accord. This engine has proven to have a fuel dilution problem for us with 80% highway miles, so I imagine that could only be worse with a lot of city miles. We've used 0W-20 M1 EP with a Fram XG-7317 for the last 22K miles, and the UOAs have shown high levels of both Al and Fe. We plan to bump it up to a 5W-30 if this does not improve with the next UOA.

Please keep updating us about your findings regarding the next UOA.

Originally Posted by Bud
Just use what the owners manual calls for and Honda OEM filters. The CRV will outlast your desire to keep it. Now I don't follow the owners manual in that I do a filter change every time with the OEM filters, but according to Honda that is not necessary.

Thanks Bud!

Originally Posted by Danh

Hi Danh, previous owner used to change oil between MM 10-15%. In my case, changing oil at what point of MM (e.g. 20%, 30% etc) you think will help preventing fuel dilution?

It's hard to know the optimal point, but fwiw I have never let mine go below 60%. This may seem too ofen, but my UOAs come back without excessive wear metals (I.e. 1.25-1.5 ppm of iron/1,000 miles), so maybe that strategy is working.

"mightymousetech" used to post here and was an Acura technician at a Canadian dealership. His opinion was that the Honda/Acura Maintenance Minder didn't penalize oil life enough for short trips. Based on what I've seen the MM logic and resulting OCIs didn't seem to change when Honda adopted DI, so he may have a point.

Honda filters are fine.
It's 2.4
Please keep updating us about your findings regarding the next UOA.
Will do! The plan is to change at 8K, matching the Blackstone universal averages for this engine. We should be there by the first week of June. Allow another week for the lab report to come back.

Honda filters are fine.
It's 2.4

If you're getting fuel dilution with lots of highway miles, try using 91/93 octane fuel. DI engines can get by with a higher compression ratio because the fuel evaporates in the combustion chamber, cooling the charge and inhibiting spark knock. There's a school of thought that some DI engines respond to spark knock by enriching the mixture, allowing more cooling but also more fuel dilution.

My CRV would show a noticeable rise in sump level during highway driving on 87 octane, especially when driving into a brisk headwind. 91/93 octane seems to prevent this.

My 2.4 D.I. Hyundai now has almost 3K and not even a hint of fuel smell anywhere. Dipstick-end smells 100% oil and I darn-near got some oil up-my-nose taking a good whiff up-close.
No rise on the dipstick either. Same full-level spot on the dipstick since new.

Oil color has changed from clear to amber brown. I will likely go for my one free oil change in the next couple weeks and yank that one within weeks. I want to run full synthetic 5w30, not synblend 5w20. I will keep the new dealer oil filter on. But I may loosen it - then re-tighten it to remove some oil in the pump lines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back