Mixing Toyota Spec'ed 0w20 & 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to resurrect a dead horse, but I don't seem to remember threads quite like this one.

I am responsible for oil changes in a variety of family vehicles and vehicles of friends and use Phillips Choice syn-blend oil 5w20, 5w30, and 10w30 which I have always heard is the same as the revered Motorcraft brand of syn-blend. Using some clever shopping I am able to procure quantities of these oils for less than $1.90 per quart including tax when I hit a sale.

Being very old school I limit OCIs to no more than 3,000 miles, tops.

My 2014 RAV4 calls for 0w20 (86,000 miles on it currently) and I've stuck to that in full syn so far.

I'd like to begin using the 5w20 in the RAV in order to make things a lot easier and cheaper. Toyota states in the manual that 5w20 may be used "but 0w20 should be used in the next oil change."

The question is, is it worth mixing one or maybe a quart and a half of the 0w20 with the 5w20 to thin it down for cold starting or should I stick with the 0w20 full synthetic? I know Phillips makes the "Choice" in a 0w20 syn-blend, but I've never seen it in a store-only on Amazon and at real high prices compared to what I can buy locally.

Any thoughts are truly appreciated.

Your RAV won't know the difference but you're dumping a lot of good syn oil on 3k OCIs. I've been running 5w-20 full syn for 10k OCIs since 36k in our 14 now at 55k and it seems very happy. These are really easy on oil, maybe there's an old soldier in your fleet that would be happy with the RAV 5w-20 dump oil for another 3k going forward?

Toyota used 0w20 in EPA MPG tests, and for CAFE, so they try to steer customers to 0w20 per EPA mandate to use the same CAFE oil.
Bottom line: A full sump of nothing but 5w20 will be fine in a Rav4, since it has the same hot viscosity as a 0w20, and Missouri winters aren't cold enough to see much difference.

Thanks for the opinion. The RAV is actually in Nebraska most months where it can see winters as cold as -20F at times, but it is garaged 99.9% of the time where the indoor temp is 20º warmer than actual temps.

Had a 2006 Corolla that I only used 5w30 syn-blend in and it's at 250,000 with absolutely no oil usage. That vehicle is still in the family.

One part of me says the Corolla and RAV have the same engine, so what's the diff? The other side says to be careful.

Most of the planet with that identical RAV4 engine uses 5w30 to 20w50 oil in it. Going thicker does affect MPG a little, probably a fraction of a percent going from 0w20 to 5w20 here.

OP...I own a 2016 4Runner with 30,000 miles and the factory warranty just expired. The rigs calls for 0W20 and I am now running 5W20 because I've been finding M1 Synthetic cheaper in that weight. I am also running 5W20 in my out of warranty Acura TL which also calls for 0W20. I suspect I'll go back and forth between the two in the future and will fully depend on what oil I find cheaper when intervals are due. 5W20 is fine for your application.

Thanks so much to all responding to my questions!

To help you understand my situation, my current stash is at:

12 cases (12 qts each) Phillips Choice 10-30
2 cases (12 qts each) Phillips Choice 5-30
4 cases (12 qts each) Phillips Choice 5-20

Looks like I'll store more 5-20 and 5-30 as sales allow!

Originally Posted by David2431
... My 2014 RAV4 calls for 0w20 (86,000 miles on it currently) and I've stuck to that in full syn so far. ... I'd like to begin using the 5w20 in the RAV in order to make things a lot easier and cheaper. Toyota states in the manual that 5w20 may be used "but 0w20 should be used in the next oil change."...
What's they're indirectly telling you there, besides the CAFE angle mentioned by oil_film_movies, is not to use non-synthetic oil for intervals longer than 5000 miles, while up to 10,000 is supposedly safe with synthetic. No reason for 3000-mile changes unless it's doing a lot of short trips.

I think it's fine to blend a 0w20 with a 5w20, I've been doing it for years in my wife's Honda CRV (130,000 miles).

But I think if you really want to save money, you can always go to the Toyota recommended oil change interval for the Rav 4, which is 10,000 miles. You'll save yourself three oil changes at the rate you change oil, that alone should end the discussion of 0w20/mixing 5w20. I personally am not a fan of 10,000 mile oil changes but I've never heard anything negative about it from a Toyota owner or technician. I've settled in at the 6,000 mile oil change interval for all of our cars using synthetic.

Agree with what most says here. If you really can't go longer than a 3,000 mile OCI, than a 5w20 is fine for it. Being it gets so cold where it is, a 0w20 would be better.

One part of me says the Corolla and RAV have the same engine, so what's the diff? The other side says to be careful.

The only similarity is they are both four cylinder engines. The Corolla is a 1.8l where the RAV is a 2.5l. They are not the same engine.

Originally Posted by RTexasF

The only similarity is they are both four cylinder engines. The Corolla is a 1.8l where the RAV is a 2.5l. They are not the same engine.

That's right. At one time the Corolla had a 2.4L 2AZ-FE option, which was the base engine of the older Rav4 before the 2.5L.

Originally Posted by David2431
Thanks so much to all responding to my questions!
To help you understand my situation, my current stash is at:
12 cases (12 qts each) Phillips Choice 10-30
2 cases (12 qts each) Phillips Choice 5-30
4 cases (12 qts each) Phillips Choice 5-20
Looks like I'll store more 5-20 and 5-30 as sales allow!

A lot of 10w30. Great to use that in the summer in any 0w20, 5w20, 0w30, or 5w30 application. .. May-Oct in MO. Flows well above freezing temperatures. Perfect hot weather oil.... I've got a relative that's 97 years old and worked for Phillips for 50 years, and he once told me (20 years ago) about how TropArtic multi-grade was a sensation in 1954. Good brand.

Your RAV4 on mixed viscosity oil.

Toyota-RAV4-caught-fire.jpg

Last edited:
I have always kind of done 4k mile changes too but since doing an analysis with 7500k that showed I could go even further, I wont go less than 7500 miles on an oil change now.

For a 2014 RAV4 in Australia, they say you can use: 0W20, 5W30, 10W30, 15W40 or 20W50

Given you climate ("Nebraska ... winters as cold as -20F ...") either of the Phillips Choice 5w20, 5w30 syn-blend oils sounds fine to me. No need to mix.

BTW I think 3000 miles is a bit early, you could easily extend to 5000 miles and still be well within the Toyota change interval.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back