Public opinion of this Lyft ride, and my reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright all, I'd like an honest opinion. It's been a week, and this event is still on my mind which is unusual for me.

I'll keep it short and sweet. I got a Lyft ride last Saturday to go meet some friends. The car was a DISASTER. He pulled up with the driver's headlight out, turn signals that hyperflashed, and the worst part was a HORRIFIC driveline vibration at speed. As some know from my posts, I'm a mechanic for a living. This thing either had a carrier bearing about to explode or a u-joint that was shredding with every revolution.

Once I safely reached my destination, which was about 13 miles, I immediately contacted Lyft telling them that 1. This driver can NOT be driving people around and 2. I'd like a refund of my fare due to my dissatisfaction. It was about a $32 fare.

I received a quick, but curt response. Basically, we've taken appropriate action against the driver, we won't pair you with him again, etc. However, because I "completed" the ride, no refund was due. Basically they gave me the internet meme "BUT DID YOU DIE?"

There was a little back and forth, I pleaded my case, and dropped it. I only wish I had paid with a credit card, I would request a chargeback instantly but alas, it was my debit card. Not much I can do.

So, am I crazy for wanting a slight service gesture and $32 back? I won't be using Lyft again, regardless. Yes, I know this can happen with ANY ride sharing app, but the Uber customer service, in my opinion, is much better.

Yeah, the burger might have been lousy but you ate the whole thing. They probably get a thousand of emails like this a day.

Sorry. Agree with Lyft on this one. You arrived at your destination. I have a 2018 Silverado-I guarantee you would also hear drive-line noises as well. IT's a great truck but it has a fair amount of "drive line slap".

I have used both services. Each time the driver was pleasant and the car was clean.

I would say move on with your life. Maybe next time you should do a full 120 point inspection before you get in....................

I drove (and still occasionally do) for Lyft, mainly just when I want to cruise around for 'fun'... There is one mechanical inspection required each year, thats it.
My car is always perfect, as are most. I've seen other drivers using new BMWs, one used a Tesla! Mine is a new Equinox or new-ish C-Max, both impeccably maintained (meaning "it can't be pecked"), as you'd expect a bitoger to do. (BTW, optimized oil in at least one of my cars, the non-leased one!)
Surprised Lyft didn't refund it all. They will probably ban the driver from their slave-like fleet of hapless drivers. The driver will get a call asking him about the issue. They may require him to go out and get a new mech inspection. .... Wouldn't it be funny if 14Accent was the inspecting mechanic on this very car?

The few rides I've been the passenger in have been OK. It should be rare to see what you did. Sounds like the car was in a recent accident.

One other thing to check: Was the car the same one (color, model) as the one you saw pictured on the app? Lyft drivers must post the same car they are actually using. Once I forgot to switch cars on the app, and it confused the rider a little, unintentionally, and no harm if rarely done.

Last edited:
The car and the driver matched.

Well, it looks like I'm wrong. That's alright, the grass is always greener.

Originally Posted by CKN
Sorry. Agree with Lyft on this one. You arrived at your destination. I have a 2018 Silverado-I guarantee you would also hear drive-line noises as well. IT's a great truck but it has a fair amount of "drive line slap".

I have used both services. Each time the driver was pleasant and the car was clean.

I would say move on with your life. Maybe next time you should do a full 120 point inspection before you get in....................

I'm fully aware it's luck of the draw, but to be fair this wasn't "driveline noise". This was driveline vibration that left me tingling and my ears ringing for several minutes after I got out of the car. It's difficult to describe, but if you've felt a bent/severely out of balance driveshaft or a completely failed u-joint at speed then you'll know what I mean.

Sorry, but I side with Lyft on this one. You should have him stop the car and get out and get a different ride. You don't get to eat the hamburger and get your money back at the same time. It's usually one or the other.

If I'm at a restaurant and the food is bad, I don't finish the food, I bring it back and make them make me another one. Normally those fast food places never give you a refund, they just remake it.

I think it would be fair for Lyft to refund half the money, or give you coupons for $16 worth of rides.
As a Lyft driver myself, it is Lyft's and the driver's responsibility, together, to deliver satisfaction. Ok, sure, you ate the burger, but the burger should be good too.

Originally Posted by JamesBond
Yeah, the burger might have been lousy but you ate the whole thing. They probably get a thousand of emails like this a day.

Good way to put it...

I use Uber a lot, not lyft. In the app, both on the trip and after, there are ways to advise on safety.

Yes you are crazy for wanting a refund since you got to your destination without undue hardship, yet you were right to report it and see that you don't get assigned that driver again.

So you wanted a chargeback to stick it to someone who is financially struggling enough that they can't afford to fix their vehicle? Seems kind of like a low blow, from what I've read many of those drivers barely make any money as it is (some go in the hole doing it when all is said and done). Only a fool drives a *nice* car for uber or lyft and I don't want a fool for a driver either as that really could affect my safety as a passenger.

Maybe take your own car next time so you are in control of everything.

I would not use uber or lyft at all. Unless they can prove they are carrying livery insurance on their automobile. If there is an accident with injuries you may not be covered. When I bought a new vehicle, the insurance agent asked me if I was going to use this for uber or lyft. She said if I was, I would need livery insurance, which raises the price dramatically on insurance.

Get a ride from a stranger you find on the internet....

Did you feel you were in danger or just annoyed?

Dave9, so either it's poor people who can't maintain their car and can't get a real job or dangerous fools using a good car? I'll pass.

Originally Posted by Dave9

So you wanted a chargeback to stick it to someone who is financially struggling enough that they can't afford to fix their vehicle? Seems kind of like a low blow, from what I've read many of those drivers barely make any money as

Agreed, I would argue
"served you right for using Lift."

The drivers usually don't even make minimum wage after lift and everybody else takes their cut
let alone enough to pay insurance, maintenance or really anything else.

Lift is a I'm already going that direction so it's minimal $$$ to pick someone else up type of thing and really not profitable as a job

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Originally Posted by Dave9

So you wanted a chargeback to stick it to someone who is financially struggling enough that they can't afford to fix their vehicle? Seems kind of like a low blow, from what I've read many of those drivers barely make any money as

Agreed, I would argue
"served you right for using Lift."

The drivers usually don't even make minimum wage after lift and everybody else takes their cut
let alone enough to pay insurance, maintenance or really anything else.

Lift is a I'm already going that direction so it's minimal $$$ to pick someone else up type of thing and really not profitable as a job

Wait, the economics probably aren't what they make it out to be, but I think it's still better than minimum wage. He paid $32 to go 13 miles. Not sure how long that took, but typical lyft cut is 20% plus other taxes and fees so maybe around 25% so the driver got $24. There's several articles out there that basically say Lyft and Uber drivers make about $15-$17 an hour after their expenses, they probably make around $20+ an hour but they have to pay for their own gas, maintenance, insurance etc which gets you to the effective $15-$17 rate. Of course some drivers that don't drive enough will make less.

Welcome to the economics of FHV

My father's been doing it for 20+ years, 10/10 wouldn't recommend

You wouldn't last a minute in a traditional NYC taxi....

I do agree it's unprofessional, and there is a possible case of safety to be made, but it's a race to the bottom side hustle, what do you expect?

I've never used Lyft. I have used Uber several times. The Uber drivers I've had have stated they are expected to keep the car clean and maintained.

I've never read either companies TOS, but I would assume it's similar for both.

I'd say you were within your right to complain, but since you accepted the ride and reached your destination, you're not entitled to a refund.

Great points by all. This is exactly the discussion I was hoping for.

I totally agree that I requested a service, was provided said service, and wasn't subject to any major hardship. I suppose what I should be focused on how many GREAT rides I've had, no this one bad one. Heck, I used Uber twice tonight and had two fabulous rides. Clean, new, well-maintained vehicles with nary an issue.

I appreciate all the feedback, I think it took a view from the other side to set me straight. Keep the comments coming, if anyone has anything to add.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Am I crazy for wanting a slight service gesture and $32 back? I won't be using Lyft again, regardless. Yes, I know this can happen with ANY ride sharing app, but the Uber customer service, in my opinion, is much better.

If you go to a restaurant and order a steak and eat it and complain in the end it did not taste exactly right would you refuse to pay for it?

The answer to your question is yes. You are better off taking the bus or own vehicle from here on in.

yes your crazy. He got you there....you owe the fee. Just because the car had a few issues does not get you a free ride....geez

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back