Rav4 vs Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our newer Forester got hit in the rear about a month ago and is now undergoing repair.
Didn't look that bad and wife drove it home as well as for another couple of weeks.
I eyeballed it and told her four or five grand, which isn't much as collision repairs go and I was right since it came to a little over 5K.
Anyway, we of course made the offending driver's insurer pay for a comparable rental and wife has been driving a '19 Rav4 XLE for the past week.
We were doing a 200 mile highway trip today, so we took it.
Overall, a solid little piece that lacks the room, the ground clearance and the compliant ride of the Forester. The Rav found every little pavement imperfection and fed it to the passengers with full fidelity. Also a little noisier than the Forester but not really bad. Oh, and the Rav has only a tiny moonroof as compared to the Forester.
The seats are comfortable and acceleration is good, although not as good as Toyota's BHP allegation might lead one to believe. Fuel economy appears to equal that of the Forester, so pretty good.
The Forester interior is nothing really special, but that of the Rav looks as though it was stolen from an old GM design. The Rav also had orange peel as bad as any early eighties Chevy, so bad that I would personally have refused deliver of the car as a retail buyer. We also found the exterior design to be quite overwrought, but that's a matter of personal taste.
If you're shopping small CUVs, I'd encourage you to drive a Forester. You might just find it a better machine than a Rav or the very similar CRV.
Overall, I was not too impressed with the Rav, although it wasn't really bad. It just wasn't as good as I thought it might be.

Interesting. We drove '14 RAV4s and Foresters back to back at the same dealership and couldn't park the Forester fast enough. Dated dash design, neither of us liked the seats, wife really didn't like the CVT. RAV4 NVH was a big complaint in 13/14, revised for 15, again for the 19 redesign. The '19 RAV should have been better against your '17 Forester. I really wanted to like the Forester over the RAV going in but came away unimpressed. Lucky we have choices. CUV was wife's call, got a RAV4, now I commute it 300 miles/week and she drives the Silverado 5 miles to work. Meh.

In every magazine road test I have seen the 19 RAV4 has not done well against the 18 CRV or Mazda CX5. A few have even not liked the ride of the new Forester...which is a huge change from models past..

I laugh about the zoom-zoom hype with the CX-5. My daughter has a '15 CX-5 that's the twin of our '14 RAV equipment wise and there's no difference operationally between the 2 in normal driving. The ALL BLACK interior steered us away otherwise it was a coin toss.

I have to agree that the ride is pretty rough in the RAV4. We chose it for the reputation for reliability and so far it has been excellent in that regard.

My wife has a 2003 Rav 4. with over 150,000 miles, the first failure was a o2 sensor at 90,000 miles, another failed alittle over 100,000 miles and a 3rd one not long after that. The water pump started making noise at 150,000 miles, also changed out alternator(thought that was the noise). It also had the tranny ecu replaced under warranty at 13 years old.

But it keeps on ticking, do new cars even have keys anymore, I don't want a vehicle with no key?

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
the RAV will last 500,000 miles, not the forester. Eat your words.
When you buy a new car every 3 years, or even every 6 years, what does it matter? How many people drive their vehicles for 500K miles?

That's just ridiculous. Though I liked our 2005 Rav 4 AD 5m. It was literally falling apart when driven in the Demanding Northeast weather.
in 3 years 57K miles:

waterpump leaking
rear shocks leaking oil blown seals
rear exhaust rusted through
Engine clacking loudly and burning oil
Clutch slave cylinder leaking

Eat your words.

People at work seem to love the previous gen Equinox. And the Fiat Jeep looks like fun and is peppier than the dog rav and has a real auto trans.

There are other things than flaky toyotas and Hondas out there.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

That's just ridiculous. Though I liked our 2005 Rav 4 AD 5m. It was literally falling apart when driven in the Demanding Northeast weather.
in 3 years 57K miles:

waterpump leaking

Eat your words.

amazing....it's pretty tough to blow up a RAV4 in 3 years. I have a 2008 and so far, never had a problem other than a couple recalls.

Originally Posted by sopususer

A couple of years old, but another reason to take the Subie over it's corporate cousin. (Toyota owns 25% of Subaru). Short of Audi, and its price tag, no one else does AWD better than Subaru.
https://youtu.be/k-TQdIqFvZo

Maybe true but the OP was giving his seat of the pants driving impressions of the '19 RAV4 vs his Subie, no mention of AWD function. If you don't like the car above the drivetrain it doesn't matter how good the AWD is.

People at work seem to love the previous gen Equinox. And the Fiat Jeep looks like fun and is peppier than the dog rav and has a real auto trans.

There are other things than flaky toyotas and Hondas out there.

Not sure what you consider a real auto trans, RAV4s have always had normal trannys, except for the coming hybrid with a CVT. Here's one review of the Italy Jeep: Built in Italy, the subcompact Renegade looks enticingly cute but is bogged down by a nine-speed automatic that's neither smooth nor responsive. Fuel economy with the 2.4-liter was 24 mpg overall. Handling is uninspiring, and the ride is unremarkable. Vibrations while the engine is idling and an overly touchy brake pedal also mar the driving experience. The Trailhawk version offers a token amount of off-road capability. You'd have to really not like Toyota to choose one of these. No thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by philipp10

in 3 years 57K miles:

waterpump leaking

Eat your words.

amazing....it's pretty tough to blow up a RAV4 in 3 years. I have a 2008 and so far, never had a problem other than a couple recalls.

Ask my wife who drove it. It was pretty easy and the car got good maintenance. No synthetic oil though. Mobil clean 5000 5w30 and toyota service filters at 5 k mile intervals. Winter Roads and weather were harsh during this period.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
When you buy a new car every 3 years, or even every 6 years, what does it matter? How many people drive their vehicles for 500K miles?

Exactly!
Aside from the rather bold assumption in the post you quoted, who would even want to try to get 500K out of a Rav?

Originally Posted by fdcg27

Exactly!
Aside from the rather bold assumption in the post you quoted, who would even want to try to get 500K out of a Rav?

Agreed! The sheer Toyota appliance boredom would kill you before then.

Exactly!

I've yet to figure out what people mean by "appliance boredom". Get in and go. No drama. If that's boring, that's what I want.

as manufacturers strive for more profits while getting more mpg's + keeping in the EPA guidelines todays vehicles are a crap shoot IMO, a VERY EXPENSIVE one at that. the suv AWD crase can be replaced with a better riding + performing sedan + 4 snow tires on a FWD will win over AWD + all season but winter tires. try several + buy what you like + can afford + MAYBE you will get lucky with a good one that all the xtra unneeded JUNK dont malfunction!!

IN general that IS true but the 2005 RAV AWD with a Stick was surprisingly "racy". When the engine ran well and came on cam I kept saying "porsche 944".

I'm not being sarcastic Too bad it didn't hold up.

I had a 1986 MR2. Yawn. It just Didnt do it. Well neither did the outgoing Fiat X 1/9.

Camry - YUCCK! Corolla - Yikes!
Bad cars!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99
PPWarrior said:

Exactly!

{/quote]

I've yet to figure out what people mean by "appliance boredom". Get in and go. No drama. If that's boring, that's what I want.

I have to agree with you on that.
There's a lot to be said for any car that takes you where you need to go and back for many years and miles without drama.
Most of us would trade excitement for durable and reliable performance.
I'll add that not too many folks here have anything especially exciting in their sigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back