Oil Change Tips for the Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
This popped up in my YouTube feed and I can't resist an oil video so I gave it a watch.
It has some really good information in it for the newbies here and/or those that lurk here.

The myths dispelled at the end is excellent for Newbies and some members here stuck in the 1970's, warning it will not make the "Thickies" happy.
lol.gif

The only thing I disagree with is the Oil Change intervals but you can't go wrong with a default strategy of 3K miles if you didn't know better. No harm will result other than a lighter wallet.

Last edited:
They say higher viscosity oil offers increased protection while thinner oils allow increased fuel efficiency and horsepower. Thats pretty much exactly what the thickies have been saying for years.

Originally Posted by Kage860
They say higher viscosity oil offers increased protection while thinner oils allow increased fuel efficiency and horsepower. Thats pretty much exactly what the thickies have been saying for years.

Watch the second video with Eric the Car Guy. The chemist/engineer say otherwise.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
You could make that video about 3/4 of a second long when answering oil change tips for newbies: do them
lol.gif

Do them & follow the manual. DONE!

Lots of good information here (You can use high mileage oil in a new engine); but there are some things not exactly true or answered...For example, 12:20+ they are discussing 3K oil change, 4K for synthetic?...12:44 oil is black?...13:16 change more often for DIY??? "Cheap insurance" blah, blah,blah...13:48 "You can prolong the life of the vehicle the more you change the oil"...?!?!?! The fresher your oil is, the better your engine will perform?!?!?? Why not change it every 1 or 2K miles? Color change an indicator when to change oil???? 14:43 Instead of answering, they change the subject to a Toyota Camry??? Pay attention to who is telling you what, and what are they selling?

I thought it well established on BITOG that the COLOR of the oil reveals the COLOR of the oil, nothing else. (Assuming we're talking normal healthy engines...) I understand the video is oriented toward newcomers, but why perpetuate myths? Oh, because they have scripts and work for Valvoline.
21:11 discussing synthetic oil "Pretty much everything comes from crude (oil)" NOT...https://www.google.com/search?q=synthetic+oil+from+natural+gas&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS832US832&oq=synthetic+oil+from+natural+gas&aqs=chrome..69i57.15675j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Originally Posted by StevieC
And the recommended video after it... Also good, in case you want more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back