Mobil1-104, two very different filters sold side by side at WMarr

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Enjoy...
The one on the left has exact same base plate as the Super Tech ST9688 except for silicon ADBV (bottom pic comparison).

20190323_203506.jpg

20190323_203518.jpg

20190323_203534.jpg

20190323_203538.jpg

20190323_203541.jpg

20190323_204940.jpg

It even looks like the labeling is slightly different. Note the area where M1-104A is printed. One print is smaller.

Very curious about this.

Where is ZeeOSix when you need him?
Sounds like you have NOS as one, and the newer design as the other. I can't decipher the codes. Dates in there?
I hope the SuperTech-like one is the newer model of M1.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Where is ZeeOSix when you need him?
Sounds like you have NOS as one, and the newer design as the other. I can't decipher the codes. Dates in there?
I hope the SuperTech-like one is the newer model of M1.

Looks like a simple date code for M1 filters. Left is 02/11/19 and right is 10/24/18.

Originally Posted by Linctex
All THREE of these filters shown are all made by Champion Labs

01.gif

Champ probably just changed the base plate design
smile.gif

ANd that ST is an Ecore
45.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Looks like a simple date code for M1 filters. Left is 02/11/19 and right is 10/24/18.
Cool! The left SuperTech on is the new design, better with more holes. Also a better gasket. I'm starting to like the Mobil1 filter now. Still, Ultra is better.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by Linctex
All THREE of these filters shown are all made by Champion Labs

01.gif

Champ probably just changed the base plate design
smile.gif

ANd that ST is an Ecore
45.gif

Ecore have been around for years now, without issue. Although I'm sure you know that by the Emoji.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by SteveG4
It would be good to see them cut and their insides compared.
smile.gif

Likely all components would appear very similar except for the actual filter element itself.
Look for an e-core version of the Mobil 1 filter to hit the shelves in the near future!
crazy2.gif

Interesting comparison, both Champ Labs. The one on the right uses the older Champ style round sealing gasket that used to be found on equivalent filters like previous STP S-2808 shown. The one the left is using the new 9688 sealing gasket design and common Champ blue button bypass they've used on many filters.

The new sealing gasket that extends to the outer diameter of the filter is their newest design for the 9688/3593a. The ST9688 shown is new hybrid design, ecore type cage with metal endcaps and separate blue button dome bypass. Older one had the narrow round sealing gasket and construction same as pictured S2808.

Looks like Champ trying to standardize some filter parts use, like baseplate and bypass among different tier filters. I see the new sealing gasket design as an improvement over older narrow one. As noted, it would appear manufacture dates explain the differences.

[Linked Image]

The baseplate with the 5 holes, one of them slightly bigger than the others, is a classic Champion design. The other one with the "inside out" tapping plate & the little oval holes around the outside, is a "Frampion" design, seen on lots of Frams, Fram made CQ Blues, and others. They were all basically made by the same company, which is good news BC there have been rumors of the "A" suffix M1 filters not being Champ any longer.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
The baseplate with the 5 holes, one of them slightly bigger than the others, is a classic Champion design. .
I saw that. What in the Sam Hill is that about?
[Linked Image]

Just to expound and clear any possible confusion, since mid 2016 when Champ filed for bankruptcy Champion Labs and Fram have no relationship. While the raised beveled thread boss baseplate shown in the newer filter is similar to Fram, unlike them Champ shown uses oblong inlet holes. Fram equivalent 9688/3593a uses a circular design. As copying designs is common, perhaps Champ did some of that here.

And clearly including the two M1 A suffix filters shown with manufacture date as recent as 02/2019 production, all are made by Champ Labs in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back