Using synthetic blend or full synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2015 Mustang with an Ecoboost engine runs a synthetic blend per the owner's manual. Any advantage of running full synthetic instead?

IMO yes.

welcome2.gif

Don't go crazy like the rest of us.
smile.gif

Yes Yes Yes !!!! Run only full synthetic oil in a turbo motor
Look for an oil turbo rated, the Honda HTO-06 rating is good guideline to follow
I ran QSUD in my 2012 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
Worked very well !!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘
Welcome to the oil crazy nut house of oil guys ...†...†...†

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FixItDad28
My 2015 Mustang with an Ecoboost engine runs a synthetic blend per the owner's manual. Any advantage of running full synthetic instead?

Ford beat the tar out of that motor with the spec oil if there was any reason the recommended oil was not up to snuff Ford would recommend a different spec.

Turbo might be different. However, all SN+ oil is semi syn. If I was changing my own oil group 3 is almost as cheap. I'd use it. At oil change places it costs more than twice as much. At least with GDI I'd prefer 5000 changes with conventional -semi syn than 7000 with group 3.

Last edited:
Yes Yes Yes. Using Castrol Magnetec in my Ecoboost. But honestly, you can't go wrong with any major brand syn oil that meets spec.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Yes Yes Yes. Using Castrol Magnetec in my Ecoboost. But honestly, you can't go wrong with any major brand syn oil that meets spec.

And Magnatec worked great in Ecoboost engines when it was a blend too.

Oil meeting the Ford spec is fine. Look for SN+ API rating that is designed for TGDI engines.

1) Is it a DOHC or flat tappet engine 2) does it have a timing chain 3) does it have VVEL, i-vvt or VANOS? 4) is it European 5) does it use forced induction?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, synthetic oil is right for you. Side effects include a slightly lighter wallet and much more high temp and deposit protection. Nice ride, enjoy the car!

If you knew anything about a Ford Ecoboost 4 cylinder engine in a Mustang you wouldn't even ask those questions
Good lord 🤨🤨🤨🤨

Last edited:
[censored] are you talking about [censored]?! The ecoboost is derived from and uses the same basic block that was in the Mazda Speed6, it is a direct injected turbo design first developed with Ford who owned all the rights per their corporate partnership at the time. I was making a partial list of different conditions in which synthetic oil might be of benefit, not discussing features of his car/engine. Keep you idiotic assumptions to yourself.

Originally Posted by FixItDad28

I'm assuming you have the 2.3 EB, the same engine we have in our 2017 Explorer. Ford's oil spec for that engine included many conventional oils, not only their synthetic blend Motorcraft 5W-30, conventional Shell Formula 5W-30 met the Ford spec. We keep our vehicles till the bodies rot, ~200,000 miles, so with the small price differences any more between a synthetic, a blend or a conventional and the extra demands on the oil in a DI Turbo engine it's a no brainer for us. We've been using "plain" Mobil 1 5W-30 for up to 7,000 mile OCI's and our UOA 's have been really good, they're posted in the UOA section. We'll probably go longer in the warmer temps. Winter does have some minor fuel dilution due to my wife using the remote start frequently
lol.gif
. For a small engine in the heavy Explorer it's got great power across the rpm range and the gas mileage really decent.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back