What's in Maxima oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this above in the oil analysis forum, but it is bike oil....20/50 Maxima Pro Plus ester base synthetic..Costs about $36 a gallon shipped to my door..I'm trying it as an alternative to the more expensive Mobil V Tin in my 96 900 Ducati and 79 Triumph 750..

[Linked Image]

Great flashpoint. Might be the highest I've ever seen. That's from the POE (polyol ester) of course. This stuff is meant for high temperatures, to resist oxidation best. They use POE in jet engine turbines.
Zinc and phosphorus look right, typical here. Calcium is a bit on the low side, but I'm sure its enough for this application.
Lack of moly tells me this might work fine in a wet-clutch shared sump arrangement. JASO MA2 I'm seeing.
Maxima describes it as a "full syn, ester fortified" formula, so maybe lots of PAO to go with some POE in there, not all POE.

I'm currently running Maxima Extra 4 15W50 in my Triumph Tiger 800 and will post UOA results after a solid 6k miles on the oil (factory interval spec). I believe Maxima makes solid oils.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

Lack of moly tells me this might work fine in a wet-clutch shared sump arrangement.

this shows you really don't understand moly

Originally Posted by sunruh

Lack of moly tells me this might work fine in a wet-clutch shared sump arrangement.

Explain......It appears to me, not a oil engineer, that most or all Jaso bike oils have little to no moly..?

Red Line motorcycle oils are loaded with moly, way more than most auto oils have.

Originally Posted by stoan
Red Line motorcycle oils are loaded with moly, way more than most auto oils have.

Yes, Redline website claims 400 ppm moly in their 10/40 motorcycle oil....So what goes on? Not all moly is equal?

Originally Posted by Truckedup

Explain......It appears to me, not a oil engineer, that most or all Jaso bike oils have little to no moly..?

There's Molybdenum in the Shell Rotella oils, the T4 15w40 CK-4 conventional has (4), the T5 15w40 syn-blend has (68), and T6 5w40 syn has (60), RedLine 5w40 syn has (570), and Valvoline 15w40 Max-Life has (63) moly

Edit: the Rotella T5 15w40 syn-blend does not show the JASO MA/MA2 on the label, the T4 15w40 and the T6 5w40 syn does show on the label, not sure if JASO shows on RedLine or Valvoline bottles

Last edited:
Originally Posted by joe02151
how many miles were on this

I may have filed to restate it's a virgin oil sample

The Maxima Premium 4 20w50 numbers look very good to me, Flash Point (475) is high which is good, high in the detergent Calcium (1881) but it's low on the acid neutralizer Magnesium (7), the Phosphorus/Zinc are anti-wear agents, the only concern I have is the weight (20w50), do you have an air-cooled bike that runs hot? I am wondering if you need a 50 weight oil in your bike

Originally Posted by stoan

The Red Line 5w40 full syn has Molybdenum (570) which does seem very high for using in a wet clutch bike, in contrast the Shell Rotella T5 15w40 syn-blend has Moly (68) and Shell did not put JASO MA/MA2 on the jug label, but maybe moly (68) was not the reason, dunno

Originally Posted by Degreaser
but it's low on the acid neutralizer Magnesium (7)

For acid neutralization, you'd want to look at the Total Base Number (TBN). It's blank on the report because Truckedup didn't pay extra for the TBN analysis. The number will start out at something like, say, 9 for a virgin oil, and decreases as the base is used up. So on a UOA of the same oil it may drop down to 6.

Maxima oils have tested at or near the top of all of my 90+ uoa tests. they are very expensive and are pretty darn awesome!

Maxima oils have tested at or near the top of all of my 90+ uoa tests. they are very expensive and are pretty darn awesome!

Maxima Pro Plus is less expensive than Mobil1 V Twin and boutique oils when buying online..

Some Motuls have 500 ppm moly and still able to meet MA classification, but some Redline car oils have 700 PPM moly, and they will cause a clutch to break loose.

The redline mc oils, that I tested showed about 375 ppm moly

maybe so
but at $41.14 a gallon compared to $14 for srt, its a 3:1 and hard to justify

What is SRT and what is 3:1 ? thanks

maybe so
but at $41.14 a gallon compared to $14 for srt, its a 3:1 and hard to justify

What is SRT and what is 3:1 ? thanks

I assume he's referring to Shell Rotella T4 oil, and the cost differential between it and the Maxima Pro Plus oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back