Group 3 oil with best heat stability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know ester based oils will provide the best heat stabilization, yet in my experience with Redline it seemed that it didn't suit my application as well as I would have liked. I got some unpleasant liter chatter on the cooler mornings. And it's obviously not readily available in my area. So in short I switch back to what my GM dealership provides. With our ACDelco bulk synthetic we have at work I don't have that issue, yet I'm not really sure how true this "bulk" oil is.

Among the top tier brands at Walmart and local auto parts stores, which would you prefer for excessive heat and long track days? Or in technical terms a better volitily?

The issue I'm having is I recently replaced my balancer pulley with a 25% underdriven pulley. So during stop and go traffic I'm seeing 217-220 water temps. Once the car starts moving it immediately drops 185-195. So it runs about 10-12 degrees over stock with the new pulley. I would assume these idle temps will be even more ever present during the summer on track days in staging lanes etc.

If you're doing road course track days, I recommend that you put the stock pulley back on.
If you're buying oil at Walmart, M1 0w40 FS is really good.
M1 High Mileage 10w30 is a really good "sleeper" oil with high HTHS and pretty low volatility.

Definitely Mobil1 0w40 walmart SN 229.5 oil. Fram Ultra oil filter there too. The best I can think of here.
Since you plan on pushing the engine hard, the slightly-thicker M1 0w40 is perfect for an engine that might get 5w30 on an easy day. Just one grade thicker, and a full synthetic. SN and German specs are unbeatable for toughness.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
If you're doing road course track days, I recommend that you put the stock pulley back on.
If you're buying oil at Walmart, M1 0w40 FS is really good.
M1 High Mileage 10w30 is a really good "sleeper" oil with high HTHS and pretty low volatility.

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

I would also think about a cooler thermostat for those mid-summer open track days (IF you meant that and not drag race track days/test and tunes), as well as a manual over-ride fan switch (SLP used to make one for the LS1 4th gen f bodies, not sure about the LS2 style Aussie models), and maybe even a 60/40 (water to anti-freeze) mix.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back