Filter for 20k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat of a repeat thread, but:

I purchased 5 Mobile1 synthetic oil filters at Walmart for $3.99 each. Typically, my van goes 10k miles between OCI's per the oil life monitor. These filters are rated for 20k miles, so I could go two OCI'S on one filter. I haven't used these filters before. Would you trust them to go 20k?

Sure, why not?

Factory Honda filters are nothing special and they're specified for 2x OCIs. Factory filter interval in my 911 is 30,000 miles.

But I'm a "change it every time" guy.

I don't think there is an easy yes or no answer. It depends on the engine, oil and conditions. I once ran a Fram Ultra out to twice what the oil life monitor said I should go. When I removed the filter I found it loaded up with what appeared to be carbon so I don't do that any more. If your filter is easy to remove/reinstall then look at it after 12,000 miles and make your decision from there.

I call it the pizza pie question.

"Is replacing a filter every 10k instead of 20k worth a pie of pizza?"

Given that you frequent this place and are probably well aware that filters can be had on the cheap at Rockauto, Ebay, and the occasional clearance highlighted at the 'Rebates & Promotions' section, I would assume it would be worth a pie of pizza to do it every 10k.

But that may not be the whole story. If you're recovering from an injury, hate the hassle of an oil change, or just want to not waste money on what is promoted as a 20k filter, you may be thinking it's worth it to replace the filter on that interval.

If it were me I would just do it every 10k or once a year. Filters are so ridiculously cheap that you can pretty much get a top quality long-life filter for less than $5. Over 80,000 miles you would save maybe twenty bucks at most. Also, your filter housing on the Grand Caravan is plastic and I would hate to deal with getting that thing off after a 20k interval. We see plenty of ones that have broken off at the wholesale auctions and they're a pain to replace.

By the way, I'm this guy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bp/the-g...-oil-change-works-for-you-134321080.html

http://www.dashboard-light.com/

All the best!

Will likely be fine but wouldn't be my first choice simply because for $1 more I can get several high capacity full synthetic media, wire or mesh backed offerings that aren't glued together like a 5 year old did it (literally EVERY Mobil 1, Royal Purple and Amsoil filter ever cut open is glued sloppily. Search for yourself). I am using one now but its only staying on for 10K miles. I'm sure XOM has done their homework testing but I don't run anything to the brink of its rating.

Last edited:
Easily.

They should last much longer than 10,000 miles if the engine is pretty clean (internally) to begin with.

Many, many of us here have run one oil filter for 20,000 - 30,000 miles (with regular oil changes) and have experienced no failures.

I have a Fram Tough Guard with 32,000 on it now - it'll be cut open at the 50,000 mile mark and posted up on here.

Originally Posted by stanlee
Will likely be fine but wouldn't be my first choice simply because for $1 more I can get several high capacity full synthetic media, wire or mesh backed offerings that aren't glued together like a 5 year old did it (literally EVERY Mobil 1, Royal Purple and Amsoil filter ever cut open is glued sloppily. Search for yourself). I am using one now but its only staying on for 10K miles. I'm sure XOM has done their homework testing but I don't run anything to the brink of its rating.

They neither make nor design them. They're solely a customer of Champion Labs or other companies. Maybe they give them specs.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I have a Fram Tough Guard with 32,000 on it now - it'll be cut open at the 50,000 mile mark and posted up on here.

Must be going for the world record ... looking forward to the C&P.
grin.gif

for 3.99, change them at 10k
smile.gif

Also, the Pentastar cartridges are known to buckle in service. The only filter I'd go 20k on in that case is the Wix XP/Napa Platinum, which is wire-backed. (The Fram Ultra for the Pentastar is NOT wire backed but instead uses a plastic mesh like the Purolator Boss)

Our 3.6L Dodge has the easiest to get to filter I have ever seen … up top and up front …

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Linctex
Must be going for the world record ... looking forward to the C&P.
That could be interesting, but more likely boring.

My Chinese Tough Guard cartridge is currently at about 19k. I'll retire it at about 26k for evaluation. Previous oil filters from this car (of other brands) were very boring at about one-third and two-thirds that interval.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by stanlee

They neither make nor design them. They're solely a customer of Champion Labs or other companies. Maybe they give them specs.

Well aware but I'm sure they have fleet and lab data on them thru the 20k interval they rate them for.

Originally Posted by otis24
Somewhat of a repeat thread, but:

I purchased 5 Mobile1 synthetic oil filters at Walmart for $3.99 each. Typically, my van goes 10k miles between OCI's per the oil life monitor. These filters are rated for 20k miles, so I could go two OCI'S on one filter. I haven't used these filters before. Would you trust them to go 20k?

Curious! What is the part number?

Personally I won't leave a filter on for a second oil change because of the extra oil that's not getting changed if I leave it on. It's not that I don't believe the filter will last that long. If I was going to leave it I would still remove it and try to get as much old oil out before putting it back, but my ocd would be worried about contamination. I just try to buy filters on sale and change them with the oil whenever that happens to be. And for $4 why wouldn't you?

Crimping them with metal is probably worse as it reduces the amount of filter media surface area available and so does any glue more than need to keep keep the media layers from separating. This seems to be whining about increased filter performance in some respect that also may reduce cost.

Originally Posted by rinkevichjm
Crimping them with metal is probably worse as it reduces the amount of filter media surface area available and so does any glue more than need to keep keep the media layers from separating. This seems to be whining about increased filter performance in some respect that also may reduce cost.

So if you crimp it with metal to seal it you glue it how much oil is going to flow through that glued seam?

I've ran them for 20k in my vehicles. The only issue I have with M1 filters is that some filter numbers use the fram like leaf spring/ADBV piece that fits inside the dome end side of the center tube. I doubt that design always maintains it's seal. On many of the used frams Ive seen opened it's obvious by the impression left on the gasket (ultra)or fiber end caps(extra guard and tough guard) that there wasn't a complete seal all around. Some Ultras and Mobil 1 filters don't even have a gasket where the leaf spring/bypass combo piece butts up against the end cap.
Now some of the M1 filters have a thread end bypass which is by far a better design.
As far as the media in a M1, it's perfectly capable of lasting 20k + miles in a non sludged engine. The can is thick and solid and the ADBV is heat resistant silicone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back