Windshield wiper quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone do for windshield wipers? Specifically, are dealer purchased Toyota wipers significantly better, about the same, or worse than a mid to upper range Napa, let's say. I ask, because mine are almost 2 years old (factory Toyota) and just starting to streak and it's annoying me so I want to replace. Total parts from dealer about $35. Napa I can get their Napa brand high quality level on sale right now for the same or less. I've always run really high quality aftermarket blades on other cars and don't feel like these Toyota were significantly better, but definitely solid quality.

Opinions, facts, or opinions you claim as fact appreciated in advance!

I've always liked generic metal frame wipers with plastic rib inserts - i.e. Anco. Used to be easy to find the universal plastic refills, although there's no issue using metal inserts. I used buy the SuperTech wipers at WM (really just relabeled Anco without the brand name on the wiper frame) but now they have some generic from China with a crimped-on wiper insert. I also bought refills from Amazon, which still has them but for more than $10 a pair. I'm looking to order from RockAuto where they're about $2 a pair for the refills and where I have plenty of the frames used over the years.

I like them because they're cheap and I'd rather replace them even 6-12 months than spend more on something that's supposed to last a couple of years but where it's streaking for half that time.

I can't say anything about NAPA or OEM, but I can say that I've been very happy with Rain X (the cheapest, "expert fit conventional" line). I used to buy the cheapest blades I could find at autozone, and got tired with having to replace them every 18-24 months. I moved to RainX, and they last a LOT longer than that. Walmart brings the price down very reasonably ($8-9). RainX blades do a very good job of aligning to the surface of the windshield. I replaced one on my highlander b/c the blade was leaving streaks on one 3-4 inch section of the windshield and it was distracting & annoying me. Now, the rainx blade sweeps all the water away--no streaking.

I buy OE. I've tried about every brand out there and for me none of them are quiet as good as the OE. Bosch comes close.

Originally Posted by MParr
I buy OE. I've tried about every brand out there and for me none of them are quiet as good as the OE. Bosch comes close.

I've been reading online about country of manufacture and that many aftermarket are now crappy rubber which degrades faster and streaks faster and that OE use better rubber. But I also figure Toyota probably farms out wiper production to Anco or Bosch or something so hoping someone maybe knows of aftermarket that's cheaper with good quality rubber.

I buy from the dealer and they have a 12mo warranty.

Helpful, since I'm super picky about wipers and change them at the first sign of streaking or chattering.

Trico wipers are good. Walmart has US-made Trico Ultra wipers for $17 each.

If that is too expensive for you, then get Trico Flex from Rock Auto. The ones marked "private label package" are actually the Trico Tech, which is the exact same as the Flex but geared towards the jobber/shop market.

I'm willing to bet my 6 year old wipers work better than anything mentioned thus far. My 2013 wiper blades don't squeak or streak...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Piaa-Aero-Vogue-Windshield-Wiper-w-Silicone-Blades-22-22-Set-Made-in-Japan/262104033258?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
I'm really not a snob, I just get sick and tired of having to keep replacing #$%& that doesn't last; and I have too many cars to maintain....My time is more valuable than $17 wipers...It's not just the wipers themselves, it's like the time it takes to remember them and what size they are, go buy them, install them, and mark it on your calendar to do it all over again in a short time...That is, unless you're a BITOG hoarder and have a 10 year "supply" rotting on a garage shelf.

Ever since my MB I've moved to beam wipers and have found nothing better than OE. There may b, but I don't know which so I stick to OE

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Originally Posted by MParr

I've been reading online about country of manufacture and that many aftermarket are now crappy rubber which degrades faster and streaks faster and that OE use better rubber. But I also figure Toyota probably farms out wiper production to Anco or Bosch or something so hoping someone maybe knows of aftermarket that's cheaper with good quality rubber.

I was at a Subaru parts dept and I looked over what they had for wipers. Labeled as made in the US, but basically just a standard width insert with metal ribs that was crimped on to the metal frame. Nothing wrong with it, but also nothing special about it other than the price. This was clearly not the OEM NWB narrow wipers that were installed at the factory.

Have you tried cleaning the windshield and wipers and applying any conditioner like 303 or Armor All ?

I like the OE ones with the spoiler for my european cars, not the beam style, the ones with an actual small spoiler attached. On the golf I run Bosch clear advantage, a cheaper Icon, and they usually last at least a year.

Last edited:
On my long quest to find decent wipers, the best so far are the Valeo 900. I got them cheap on rockauto and so far they are better than the bosch.

I'd stick with OE.

Whatever you do, keep your original wiper frames so you can easily go back if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back