2014-2018 Chevy Silverados

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned my 2018 5.3 for almost a year now. Curious to see how others feel about these trucks and what problems I may run into with it.

Also, does everyone just run 0w20 Synthetic, or are some running 5w30?

I test drove a 2014 Sierra SLT Z71 Crew cab yesterday... I'm a bit shocked how loud the direct fuel injection is on these 5.3's. Clickety, clackity, tippity, tappity....

I have a '14 with ~71k mi on it now. 4.3 V6. Had to have a leaking AC hose replaced under warranty during 1st year of ownership. Has not been back to the dealership since. 100% reliable. I plan to drive it til the wheels fall off!

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
I test drove a 2014 Sierra SLT Z71 Crew cab yesterday... I'm a bit shocked how loud the direct fuel injection is on these 5.3's. Clickety, clackity, tippity, tappity....

I think it's pretty normal nowadays, I'v heard better, I've heard worse. An Audi A4 sounds like a cement mixer compared to most cars, but yeah the 5.3 isn't the quietest.

Originally Posted by Geauxtiger
I have a '14 with ~71k mi on it now. 4.3 V6. Had to have a leaking AC hose replaced under warranty during 1st year of ownership. Has not been back to the dealership since. 100% reliable. I plan to drive it til the wheels fall off!

I've heard good things about that V6, sounds like a good motor.

My plan is to own this truck 10-15 years, right up till I retire. I may take it out of commission towards the end and buy a compact car for my last few years at work (long commute), but who knows at that point? But I'm hoping I can get 300.000 out of it.

I've had the '16 4.3 for 2 years and 30k miles, not a single issue so far with anything. Only wish now would have been to get a 4wd but at the time and place 2wd was the right truck. This 4.3 has more hp and torque than the 5.3s of the early 2000s. If you're not towing or hauling heavy it should be all the motor you'd need.

Have a 2018 Z71 4WD and 2017 Tahoe 4WD with same power train … far quieter than my 2010 5.3L that I bought new and traded in (never saw a mechanic ever) … no issues with 2010, 2017, and 2018 vehicles …
and I run some hard places …
M1 EP 0w20 for now …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Have a 2018 Z71 4WD and 2017 Tahoe 4WD with same power train … far quieter than my 2010 5.3L that I bought new and traded in (never saw a mechanic ever) … no issues with 2010, 2017, and 2018 vehicles …
M1 EP 0w20 for now …

I agree with this and the 5.3 is a lot more refined then the 5.7 Hemi it is a mouse doing business on cotton it is far from a loud motor.

I traded in a 2012 GMC Sierra SLT for a 2018 Silverado LTZ. (Both 5.3s) There is quite a bit of refinement that took place through the model years. The 2018 is more quiet, the transmission is smoother, and the AFM is undetectable.

Currently has about 7,000 miles on it.

Last edited:
FYI for you guys in rust states, there's a spring loaded flapper valve in the tailpipe just behind the muffler on all of these trucks. I wired mine open to see if there was any difference, maybe a tiny bit louder, no noticeable change in power....then forgot about it. They can rattle and apparently can rust up and not open/close properly.

Here's a thread about it: GM flapper valve

Originally Posted by AZjeff
FYI for you guys in rust states, there's a spring loaded flapper valve in the tailpipe just behind the muffler on all of these trucks. I wired mine open to see if there was any difference, maybe a tiny bit louder, no noticeable change in power....then forgot about it. They can rattle and apparently can rust up and not open/close properly.

Here's a thread about it: GM flapper valve

I can hear mine squeaking when it opens and closes, if the windows are down on a quiet side road. Doesn't really bother me, but you're right, there's a chance one I find these days the thing is going to rust in one position.

Speaking of rust, that's one of my concerns...the wax frame coating underneath was coming off in places the day I bought it. Not a big fan of it. I've done two treatments of fluid film since I bought it. Made it through the winter and it looks like aside from one little spot, it's doing ok now.

Originally Posted by CKN
I traded in a 2012 GMC Sierra SLT for a 2018 Silverado LTZ. (Both 5.3s) There is quite a bit of refinement that took place through the model years. The 2018 is more quiet, the transmission is smoother, and the AFM is undetectable.

Currently has about 7,000 miles on it.

When I bought mine last year the sales guy asked my what I thought during the test drive - I was amazed at how quiet it was. I was trading in a Lexus LS460 at the time, considered to be one of the quietest vehicles ever built and in all honesty the truck is almost as quiet inside. When I first bought that Lexus it took me two months to get used to the quietness of that interior...I'd start to fall asleep when driving. This truck is similar, but luckily I'm used to the quiet.

Originally Posted by 4WD
M1 EP 0w20 for now …

Right now I'm running 0w20 Pennzoil Platinum. When I bought the truck last year they gave me two "free" oil changes...used one. Spent two hours at the dealer waiting...don't think I'll use the other one.

So in one year I have 27,000 miles on it...I've used Pennzoil Platinum a couple times, 0w20 Walmart Super Tech, Napa 0w20 Synthetic and the free stuff (whatever that was) from the dealer. Not sure what my go to oil is going to Ben long term, maybe the Super Tech, it's very reasonably priced and the additive package looks very good.

I installed an oil catch can after 5,000 miles. Don't really know if I'm going to keep it, it catches a lot of stuff but if I don't remember to drain it every couple of weeks?? That would be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back