Frontier battery advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Nissan Frontier with 75K with the original battery and it starts fine currently. I added some distilled water last week as it was a bit low. I bought a HF battery tester and when the load is applied the battery shows to be good.
My Frontier has a battery gauge on the instrument cluster that shows the voltage range and it is right in the middle where it should be. I was just wondering if those gauges really are reliable.

Your "battery gauge" is a better judge of the alternator. As long as your truck starts and your loads are what the alt can handle, it should be in the middle.

All signs point to continued goodness of your battery. If you want, though, log the HF tester results (and ambient temperature) so you can spot trends such as a sudden sharp decline. Test it every oil change!

Originally Posted by kpatter
I was just wondering if those gauges really are reliable

They can be.....you just need something like a scangage to verify it's accuracy. My temp gauge doesn't match my scangage readings.
BTW: It's a good idea to buy battery's that you can add water to especially when you live in a warm climate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Warstud
Originally Posted by kpatter
I was just wondering if those gauges really are reliable

They can be.....you just need something like a scangage to verify it's accuracy. My temp gauge doesn't match my scangage readings.
BTW: It's a good idea to buy battery's that you can add water to especially when you live in a warm climate.

Better to but an AGM battery.

owners in hotter climates do better with a flooded battery as long as they care for it, sealed batteries loose fluid at a very slow rate, but since its sealed when it gets too low your done!! read several times where hot + dry arizona residents only get 2-3 years no matter, heat is bad + add super dry air + its a formula for dried out anything, but NO rust!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back