PP EURO LX 0W30 Winter run of 7500 KM in 2018 GOLF R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three consecutive UOAs:

Earliest UOA (applicable right column) CASTROL 0W40.
Middle UOA FUCHS TITAN GT1 5W30
Latest UOA (applicable left column) Pennzoil Platinum EURO LX 0W30 (This oil was in the sump from early November to mid March, during a very cold winter)

(ALL DISTANCES are in KILOMETRES)

(PP EURO LX 0W30 was replaced with M1 ESP Formula 0W40)

Blackstone Report for PP0W30 Nov 2018 to March 2019.PNG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by s2krunner
Thanks for posting. How do you like Golf R?

You are welcome "s2krunner".

I do like this car. But I regret getting the 6 speed MT. All accounts are that the automatic transmission (DSG) is superb.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Thanks , I was wondering how that Pennzoils would do in a VAG engine .

No problem "Kjmack".

| know this particular OCI for this 504 oil is only around 4500 miles but it was run for all the months of the winter which was particularly cold with many trips being short, with this 2 litre turbo engine not reaching operating temperature.

In the past VW has recommended the use of some 5W40 oils (502/505). Clearly this much thinner PP oil is more than capable of providing protection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 21Rouge

I do like this car. But I regret getting the 6 speed MT. All accounts are that the automatic transmission (DSG) is superb.

I have the MK7 GTI with DSG. It's very good for what it is, but nothing can replace a manual gearbox. Automatics can't and don't have the situational awareness a human driver does. Sure, it has a manual mode and a sport mode, and it shifts very quickly, but it's very bland (paddle shifters and shifter shifting, both) compared to a manual. There are times I'd wished I gotten the 6 speed.

Originally Posted by BobFout

I have the MK7 GTI with DSG. It's very good for what it is, but nothing can replace a manual gearbox.

The difference is that MT for the GTI is more than capable of 'handling' that engine. But with the same MT in the R, which is AWD and close to 300 hp, the clutch is notoriously weak and invariably needs to be replaced at mileages often (much) less than say....50k miles.

Last edited:

I have the MK7 GTI with DSG. It's very good for what it is, but nothing can replace a manual gearbox.

The difference is that MT for the GTI is more than capable of 'handling' that engine. But with the same MT in the R, which is AWD and close to 300 hp, the clutch is notoriously weak and invariably needs to be replaced at mileages often (much) less than say....50k miles.

You done good by getting the 6-speed! I was curious, so I looked up the labor time on a clutch. 8.3 hours including flywheel R&R. Not all that bad for a tightly packaged AWD transverse engine, with a turbo.

That being said, the 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD 6-speed is 8.6, and those are apparently a complete PAIN to do. I've luckily never had the displeasure, as they only made about 30 of those (exaggerating for effect). They are EXTREMELY rare.

Should be able to upgrade the clutch and flywheel? South Bench Clutches outta have something...

s2krunner said:

Should be able to upgrade the clutch and flywheel? South Bench Clutches outta have something...

For sure there are several aftermarket options for a "beefier" clutch and flywheel but I resent having to pay well over $2k (CDN) so early in the car's life for a wear item that should be good for easily over 60k miles. (And it will begin to slip prematurely, even for a stock R such as mine, and especially for a tuned R).

It was in part my fault as I followed my heart rather than my head when deciding on the transmission when making this purchase.

Yep, replacing Golf R clutch / flywheel can cost arms and legs in US. But manual is fun to drive all around tho.

Last edited:
Thats lot of calcium from Castrol. Thanks for posting. How do you like Golf R?

And zink

You can't do heel and toe downshifts with an automatic... which for me, is one of the greatest joys one can get from driving!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back