more dumb questions!! infiniti Q50

Status
Not open for further replies.
smile.gif

morning!

please excuse my ignorance! Thanks for all your great answers!

I have a 2017 Infiniti Q50 all wheel drive, twin turbo direct inject.

I have about 19,000 miles, and did Mobil one synthetic oil changes every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. many of my trips are 7 miles or less in cold winter weather.

i believe i have learned that i must have a transfer case, and TWO differentials.

OK, the manual says:

auto trans. fluid: NO maintenance needed

transfer and differential fluid, just inspect

steering gear and linkage. just inspect.

brake fluid, every 20,000

i do like my car, and might buy it after the lease in June 2020. i really take care of it.
stupid questions:

1. does my car NOT have power steering fluid? is that possible?

2. should i really NOT change the transmission fluid, transfer and differential fluids?

what if i keep this car for 10 years?

3. should i try Amsoil fluids? i do trust mobil one full synthetic.

cheap enough to pay some money on ALL fluids to keep car long term.

thanks for ALL your ideas!

best regards

Bob

1. Electric power steering is maintenance-free and does not contain a hydraulic fluid.

2. Not at 20,000 miles.

Last edited:
My '15 Altima(ePSF), previous '06 Mazda3(Dex) and current '15 Honda Civic(?) all have electric PS and have fluid that can be changed. Civic is questionable.

I can't find the P/S reservoir on my buddys '18 Equinox so, maybe you don't have a P/S res either.
If you plan on keeping the Q50, yes, do as many fluid changed NOW as possible from ATF, P/S(if possible), brake fluid, differential(s) & transfer case. Even if most fluids are a drain & refill, DO IT!

Don't pay someone to do the fluid changes unless you just don't have the means/tools/facility(garage/driveway) to do them yourself. I do all of mine in the driveway. And if you're not changing your own oil/filter, this is a good time to start &/or learn.

Last edited:
despite what your manual says, no fluid is "lifetime". I would change the ATF at 50k. that brake fluid frequency sounds excessive; and I recommend a Motive power bleeder for the task - much easier and faster than doing it the traditional method with two people.
the first change on the differentials is the most important according to research by Amsoil - as you want to get the initial wear metals out. the wear rate after initial break in is very low. Both Mobil 1 and Amsoil are very good. I use both; although I prefer Amsoil in my car with the turbo.

THANK YOU everybody!! I DO like the idea of brake fluid now, and in 2 years. i drive 10,000 miles a year. my brakes are incredible, and I want to keep them that way.

Tomcat: the first change on the differentials, should i do it NOW? now is 2 years and 19,000 miles. seems to me that i would remove the wear metals, and must use a HIGH quality synthetic like Amsoil or Mobil 1

thank you everyone.

I can change my fluids, but ONLY with my expert friend's help. We did my Cadillac brakes twice. but HE did the work, i hand him the wrenches and loosen lug nuts, etc.

I have a Q50s and worked on many G37's.

The trans I would change the fluid every 30-50k. You will need an adapter to get the fluid back in as it has to be pumped in through the pan floor. The AWD I would lean toward a drain/fill every 30-40k while the RWD is good for about 50k. The factory metal gasket on the pan I re-use once with no leaks. 2nd time I drop I replace to be safe but may still be re-usable. I use mostly Maxlife trans fluid.

The front/rear diffs and transfer case fluids are good for 100k unless you did something wrong. Never had any issues with the fluids in them even at 100k. I use 75w90 in the diffs and trans fluid in the transfer case.

I hope you get that thing on the highway now and then and let her rip.

I would change the diffs NOW with a premium synthetic in the grade in the manual - Then never again unless you got it under water. There will the tonnes of wear in debris in there.

On the trans I would do fluids at 30k then every 60k

On my Rogue that had the lowly CVT I only have to do a pan drain to get the majority of flotsam out.
I couldn't believe how dirty the fluid was in my 14 Rogue Select. There was even " mud" on the dipstick.(No dipsticks current).

I would think infinity put a 7 speed trans in their sports/luxury cars. Should not be as bad.

Brake fluid every 2 or 3 years in Mass.

Do you drive like your Screenname?
smile.gif

Transmission fluid: Every 60-70k.
Transfer case: With tranny fluid.
Differentials: Unless they are LSD or vectoring, every second tranny fluid change.
Brake fluid: Every two years regardless of mileage.

to Arcographite!

Yes! i DO drive like a little old lady. trips to the YMCA, market, library, daily, all within 7 miles, 35 mph speed limit. that is a cold engine and oil. about once every 2 weeks, drive 90 minutes each way to daughters house, highway, 65 mph.

i HAVE heard that full throttle acceleration is GOOD for a car. on the highway on cruise control, I may have about 1800-2000 rpm at 65 miles/hour. that is NOT full throttle!

should i do some full throttle blasts in there sometime?

I did get on this oil kick because of my readings. my car is twin turbo, direct injection. that must be tough on oil. lots of short trips, cold engine.

would like any of your ideas!

best,

bob and thanks
34.gif

Originally Posted by Robertslowpoke
to Arcographite!

Yes! i DO drive like a little old lady. trips to the YMCA, market, library, daily, all within 7 miles, 35 mph speed limit. that is a cold engine and oil. about once every 2 weeks, drive 90 minutes each way to daughters house, highway, 65 mph.

i HAVE heard that full throttle acceleration is GOOD for a car. on the highway on cruise control, I may have about 1800-2000 rpm at 65 miles/hour. that is NOT full throttle!

should i do some full throttle blasts in there sometime?

I did get on this oil kick because of my readings. my car is twin turbo, direct injection. that must be tough on oil. lots of short trips, cold engine.

would like any of your ideas!

best,

bob and thanks
34.gif

Yes, you should step on it, often!

Brake fluid every 20,000 miles is a lot. I'm glad they're finally having a replacement interval, but that seems a bit often.
wink.gif
I wonder what caused them to come up with that interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back