VW Passat R36 504 00/ 507 00 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm just wondering the best oil out there for a VW Passat R36 requiring VW 504 00/ 507 00 spec oil? Motul 8100 & Liquimoly TopTec 4200 both seem decent from what I've read

Thanks!

PP Euro LX is a great option. Kendall also makes a "Euro+" 5W-30 that seems to be a great choice. Ordering it is a little more involved than say placing a quick online order, though.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
PP Euro LX is a great option. Kendall also makes a "Euro+" 5W-30 that seems to be a great choice. Ordering it is a little more involved than say placing a quick online order, though.

I would say in Australia that would be Shell.

Use something that carries both 504/507 and 229.51, as the latter ensures noack under 10%. Both the oils you listed are good, I also like Total Quartz Ineo Longlife.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Use something that carries both 504/507 and 229.51, as the latter ensures noack under 10%. Both the oils you listed are good, I also like Total Quartz Ineo Longlife.

Or 229.52.

Totally agree with your logic. Combinations of approvals can never hurt.

Hi Mate,

VW always gives their oil a twin petrol (gas) and diesel spec. The older high-SAPS spec was VW 502 (petrol) / 505 (diesel). Longhand 502 00 / 505 00, many older semi-synthetics like Shell HX7 10W40 meet this spec and it's based on the Euro ACEA A3/B4 spec. Good full synthetic oils like M1 0W40 and Edge 0w40 still carry it.

The newer low-SAPS spec is VW 504 / 507, which I believe is what you car requires. It's based on the ACEA C3 spec.

In Australia, you have stuff like Valvoline SynPower XLIII 5W30 (ACEA C3, MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, Porsche C30, VW 504.00/507.00), and they say it can also be used for VW 503.00, 506.00, 506.01, but I'm not sure what those VW specs are..

There is Castrol Edge LL 5W30 (ACEA C3, MB-Approval 229.31/ 229.51, Porsche C30, VW 504 00/ 507 00)

Also Nulon European Full Synthetic 5W30, it's a PAO based oil with real VW 504 / 507, as well as C3, MB 229.51 and BMW LL-04.
This Nulon lists KV100 = 12.04 cSt, Sulphated Ash = 0.5%, TBN = 5.4 which seems typical for these low SAPS 504 /507 oils.

Does a petrol (gas) engine really need a low SAPS oil ?

I am going to use a 504.00 oil in my Superb 206, and weighing up the Toptec 4200.

However I am uncertain if it is a 100% or even ‘Fully Synthetic' oil. For the price you would think the former, but anyone know for sure?

The Motul is a 100% synthetic as far as I understand and is recommended by a number of VW tuners in Australia including Harding Performance.

Originally Posted by aratic
I am going to use a 504.00 oil in my Superb 206, and weighing up the Toptec 4200.

However I am uncertain if it is a 100% or even ‘Fully Synthetic' oil. For the price you would think the former, but anyone know for sure?

The Motul is a 100% synthetic as far as I understand and is recommended by a number of VW tuners in Australia including Harding Performance.

If you are using Liqui Moly, it is NOT full synthetic, period.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Oh god. Here we go again.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46

Oh god. Here we go again.

I hope benjy doesn't see this. lol

Not full or fully synthetic?

Apologies for appearing to drag up an appealingly heavily discussed topic. I did try searching the forum for ‘Toptec 4200' but I didn't have any success.

To the Op, Motul would appear to be the best option in this case. I searched on sparesbox last night, they have 30% off the 8100 x-clean + but it's out of stock.

If it carries the 504 spec, it's really not that important. If you want to split hairs then yes some 504's will be better than others, but any oil that carries that spec is very good oil.

Apologies for appearing to drag up an appealingly heavily discussed topic. I did try searching the forum for ‘Toptec 4200' but I didn't have any success.

To the Op, Motul would appear to be the best option in this case. I searched on sparesbox last night, they have 30% off the 8100 x-clean + but it's out of stock.

It is Group III based oil, like every other Liqui Moly.
Most important thing is that is approved VW 504.00/507.00 Are there better oils that are 504.00/507.00 approved? Absolutely.

Motul 8100 X-CLEAN + 5W30 and SPECIFIC 504 00 507 00 5W30 use a group III base oil

DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM),
HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC

According their security data sheets

Last edited:
I ended up getting some Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL fully synthetic 504 00/ 507 00. It's currently on sale over here in Australia for $60/5L. Sometimes it is as low as $45. It should do fine as I intend to change it every 12 months, which is less than 10,000kms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back