Turn signals on the freeway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always signal. Lots of idiots switch lanes without signaling. It's a nightmare when two people want to merge into the same lane and the other one doesn't signal. If you drive with two hands on the wheel, it's easy to flick the direction as you turn the wheel. If you don't have enough time to signal, you're not spending enough time checking your blind sides before switching lanes. First thing I always do is check mirrors, then look over to check right blind side. For the left I have a pretty well calibrated blind side mirror so I just glance in the mirror for left turns unless it's dark at night and then sometimes a quick glance backwards to the left. If you're doing those, there's enough time to flick the directionals and then switch lanes.

It's the most dangerous on the highway not to signal. I'll skip signaling on city streets on some turns just so someone turning left in the other lane doesn't jump in front of you. Normally you would signal first and then hit the brakes. The clueless are the ones who brake first, then signal.

And too many clueless people out there that think signaling is asking for permission and that someone has to let you in because you signaled. I check to see if I have it. If I have the room, I just signal and move. If I don't have it, I don't signal. You're not asking for permission, you're telling someone what you're doing.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Are we suppose to use them? Sometimes I have split seconds to change lanes and the turn signals slow me down.

40.gif

Trolling.gif

In case real:

There is NEVER an instance where you have split seconds to change lanes during normal commuting. Someone cutting you off or taking your lane is a completely different matter.

Are we suppose to use them? Sometimes I have split seconds to change lanes and the turn signals slow me down.
. WOW!

Are we suppose to use them?
Nope. Apparently in the US, turn signal indicators are provided for decoration purposes only.

Sometimes I have split seconds to change lanes and the turn signals slow me down.
Sounds like you are driving recklessly and/or don't plan ahead. Slow down and stay in your lane until you have sufficient time to signal your intentions before making a lane change.

Supposed to ? Yeap. If there's no one around, I don't....

Can't guess how you have such a short time to change lanes and using your turn signal slows you down though !

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Are we suppose to use them?
Nope. Apparently in the US, turn signal indicators are provided for decoration purposes only.

Like Nascar.
lol.gif

Split second like... someone cut you off and you had to decide which way to bail at the last second? Or like you wanted to dart out to save 5 seconds?

When I'm not around any other motorists, say driving up to the cabin, I won't always use mine. It's pretty much habit, but on the highway I'll just choose my lane as I see fit when I don't have anyone around me.

As soon as there's vehicles around me, the signals are used. It's just common courtesy, not to mention safe.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I always signal. Lots of idiots switch lanes without signaling. It's a nightmare when two people want to merge into the same lane and the other one doesn't signal. If you drive with two hands on the wheel, it's easy to flick the direction as you turn the wheel. If you don't have enough time to signal, you're not spending enough time checking your blind sides before switching lanes. First thing I always do is check mirrors, then look over to check right blind side. For the left I have a pretty well calibrated blind side mirror so I just glance in the mirror for left turns unless it's dark at night and then sometimes a quick glance backwards to the left. If you're doing those, there's enough time to flick the directionals and then switch lanes.

It's the most dangerous on the highway not to signal. I'll skip signaling on city streets on some turns just so someone turning left in the other lane doesn't jump in front of you. Normally you would signal first and then hit the brakes. The clueless are the ones who brake first, then signal.

And too many clueless people out there that think signaling is asking for permission and that someone has to let you in because you signaled. I check to see if I have it. If I have the room, I just signal and move. If I don't have it, I don't signal. You're not asking for permission, you're telling someone what you're doing.

In bumper to bumper traffic, you're asking permission. You're letting the other cars know that you want to change lanes. The courteous drivers will give you some space to change lanes.

Originally Posted by Leo99

In bumper to bumper traffic, you're asking permission. You're letting the other cars know that you want to change lanes. The courteous drivers will give you some space to change lanes.

In bumper to bumper traffic, you won't get permission. That's when you don't have it. Signaling just tells them to close up the gap. That's where driving comes into play, accelerate or brake to move into position and then just signal and go. Never ask for permission, just tell them you're doing it and do it.

When I put on my turn signals......I'm signalling my INTENT to change lanes.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

When I put on my turn signals......I'm signalling my INTENT to change lanes.

Yup, sometimes you have to wait for an opening. This lets people know that is what you're doing.

In bumper to bumper traffic, you won't get permission. That's when you don't have it. Signaling just tells them to close up the gap. That's where driving comes into play, accelerate or brake to move into position and then just signal and go. Never ask for permission, just tell them you're doing it and do it.

Exactly. I learned not to leave my signal on when merging across the freeway in traffic. Signal on and move lanes immediately if there's room. Then signal off and pretend like I'm happy with this lane. When the next one opens, change lanes again quick.

But with a signal.

No, that's being lazy. You're supposed to roll down the window and extend your arm out pointing to the direction you want to turn. You know, like in the old days. Just be careful at freeway speeds—you could lose an arm.

First car I ever bought was a '53 Mercury, purchased in late '64. Had non-functioning turn signals and in order to pass inspection, they cut the turn signal lever off with a hack saw. How many of us are old enough to remember the hand signals for turning and stopping that were part of driver's ed?

Originally Posted by csandste
First car I ever bought was a '53 Mercury, purchased in late '64. Had non-functioning turn signals and in order to pass inspection, they cut the turn signal lever off with a hack saw. How many of us are old enough to remember the hand signals for turning and stopping that were part of driver's ed?

I guess I'm old enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back