Test drove a Tesla Model 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the last day of my kid's school break, and I've been bugged about maybe checking out an electric car.

So I made an appointment for today and got a same day test drive. Got there, they had a look at my driver license, and we walked to the garage where they had the Model 3s.

It didn't take much time to adjust. It did have an auto braking system where letting off on the accelerator kicked in the regenerative braking. I saw an indicator that goes green with regeneration or black when drawing power. Going downhill still meant regeneration even with the accelerator pressed. The Tesla employee suggested a few winding roads to test the handling.

The only thing that didn't seem to work was the auto park feature. Tried about 3 times and it didn't give the option.

Were you able to drive one with the full self-driving capabilities?

I crunched out the pricing of a RAV4 Hybrid Limited (the one I want) and the price comes scary-close to a Model 3. Now I am starting to rethink what I want to replace my Prius with.

Originally Posted by The Critic

I crunched out the pricing of a RAV4 Hybrid Limited (the one I want) and the price comes scary-close to a Model 3. Now I am starting to rethink what I want to replace my Prius with.

My test drive was the AWD performance model. I think it said about 3.6 second 0-60 times. I didn't come close to maxing it out.

I believe it did self drive, but I wanted to actually drive.

I'm surprised you're considering a new car. Best bang for the buck of course is a used car and you know how to fix them, so that's usually the part that scares people away from used cars and towards new ones. Around here, I'm seeing 2014 Mercedes E-350's go for 20-25k and some of the ones at 20k are pretty well loaded, they're higher up in mileage in the 60-80k range. If you go down to 30-50k they're more like the 25k range. Model 3 seems pretty basic, reviews call the interior cheap and unembellished compared to the C class or BMW 3 series. No Sirius nor Apple carplay/Android auto.

I would also question their parts/repair prices. Your only option is basically just Tesla and DIY can be difficult.

C'mon man, you gave a few observations and the auto park thing didn't work. What was it like to drive the darn thing?? Would you buy one?

Kinda like:

I had a date with Sophia Vergara!! She wore red shoes.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Come on, man, you've got to have more feedback than that. What a lacking review!!!

All I had was a phone that fit in my pocket. It's kind of hard to bang out a big essay. I was just starting with my initial obseverations.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The Model 3 is the future. Not for everyone and expensive.
But it is an amazing vehicle.

Soon everyone will get one for free as part of NGD …

Originally Posted by 4WD

Soon everyone will get one for free as part of NGD …

And here comes the P word and the lock......hopefully not before a proper review.
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted by Wolf359

I'm surprised you're considering a new car. Best bang for the buck of course is a used car and you know how to fix them, so that's usually the part that scares people away from used cars and towards new ones. Around here, I'm seeing 2014 Mercedes E-350's go for 20-25k and some of the ones at 20k are pretty well loaded, they're higher up in mileage in the 60-80k range. If you go down to 30-50k they're more like the 25k range. Model 3 seems pretty basic, reviews call the interior cheap and unembellished compared to the C class or BMW 3 series. No Sirius nor Apple carplay/Android auto.

I would also question their parts/repair prices. Your only option is basically just Tesla and DIY can be difficult.

Great BITOG typical post when someone could be contemplating a new car purchase. The only difference is this one happen to be an electric one. The maintenance on a Mercedes is outrageous if you don't DIY-which of course the vast majority of Mercedes are either leased with a maintenance package or taken to the dealer for (outrageous pricing) service and maintenance.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Wolf359

Great BITOG typical post when someone could be contemplating a new car purchase. The only difference is this one happen to be an electric one. The maintenance on a Mercedes is outrageous if you don't DIY-which of course the vast majority of Mercedes are either leased with a maintenance package or taken to the dealer for (outrageous pricing) service and maintenance.

I've run into The Critic on a few other threads and he seems to have some good DIY skills and has worked on some Mercedes which is why I brought it up.

Have you looked into what Tesla does regarding their parts and service information?

I was a pretty fun ride. I guess I said that I would give a more detailed writeup.

When I made the appointment I was given two locations - San Francisco (Van Ness) or Walnut Creek (Broadway Plaza). I frankly didn't want to deal with bridge/commute traffic, tolls, and parking in San Francisco, so I chose Walnut Creek even though it's a bit further away. I wasn't quite sure where it was, but it's kind of a small space, with only 3 cars there in the showroom - a Model X, Model S, and Model 3. The other odd thing is that they're virtually paperless. No brochures and no business cards. However, my kid did get a coloring page, which was about the only thing that had that was printed on paper. When I asked the Tesla employee said that all contact info should be obtained through the email confirmation I got. The test vehicles were all in the garage about a block away.

I was given a look at the front trunk (rather large actually) as well as the front trunk. The front had a bag that contained the charging accessories, including an adapter as well as the cables to charge off of 220V and even 110V. I was kind of surprised that there was really no way to see any of the mechanicals of the car. I suppose it's probably better since there's stuff there that could be pretty dangerous.

The interior was minimalist almost to a fault. No dash and everything from the center touch-screen display. I don't know if it was just this version, but there was a strip of wood along the length of the dash. I didn't really play with the radio, self-driving features, climate control, etc. I really just concentrated on driving the car. I asked the employee what would happen if the display failed, and he indicated that it should still drive, but you kind of have to know all the controls. I suppose it would be like driving with no speedometer. I had to adjust the mirrors with the center display, but at least the windows were all traditional rocker switches on the door. It was raining too, so the wipers actually started automatically. There was also a press in on the turn stalk to manually operate the wipers for a single cycle.

Initially I was kind of scared that it might have something like a hair-trigger accelerator. The employee went over the basics of the gear selector (down for D, up for R, push the end for P) before we left, and noted that we would have about an hour since there would the next appointment. It was actually kind of easy. If you've ever driven the Autopia cars at Disneyland, the accelerator works somewhat like that. Obviously it gets moving with with the accelerator, but letting off of it automatically kicks in the regenerative braking. I wasn't really paying attention earlier, but eventually the employee pointed out the line where it indicates the rate at which it's using/generating power with a green (regenerating) or black (expending) line that grows longer/shorter with the amount of use. There was apparently three steering modes (from soft to performance) which the employee helped me select. There was also a braking mode where one could select more aggressive regeneration or a less aggressive mode where it would be closer to coasting in a traditional car.

It felt kind of heavy, but that's probably because I'm used to driving my wife's 2002 Civic or my 2004 WRX which is light (and for my WRX) tossable. This was a heavy car with a beefy suspension to get it to handle well. We took a route that the employee recommended that included freeway driving, city driving, and kind of a residential/semi-rural road with a lot of twisties. I only tried flooring it once, and believe that it could go 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. However, it doesn't really behave like that unless the driver really wants to. In traffic it was extremely well behaved. It was also odd seeing the display show symbols of roughly where all the surrounding vehicles were. I guess that's tied into the self driving and emergency braking system. He said that emergency braking only operates at over 5 MPH, so one could possibly intentionally rub another car at low speed.

I guess it wouldn't be complete without something going wrong, which was on the return where the employee suggested testing out the self-park feature where it sees the space and then backs in. I was supposed to drive past the space where a park symbol was supposed to come on the screen, then select it. I tried it and nothing. Then I tried another space, and nothing. Then I backed up and tried the previous space, and nothing. So I ended

Not sure if it's the car for me though. I'd miss driving a stick. I kind of thought that my WRX was kind of heavy, but the Model 3 was definitely not light, which I'm guessing comes from the batteries. It also has a fairly low center of gravity with the batteries under the floor, and didn't have a whole lot of body roll when I tried to whip it through corners.

I asked about availability, and I was told that if I wanted the performance version I could order it for a $2500 deposit and get delivery within a few weeks. And it would either be delivered to my home or picked up in Fremont or Sacramento. Apparently no more deliveries at their service centers (and the one in Berkeley is close to home).

The seats weren't quite like what I've been experiencing in my last few test drives. I've tried performance cars with deep, deep bucket seats where the driver and passengers practically wear them. This was more conservative bolstering. I think leather is standard, and I'm not really all that used to leather.

The seats are "vegan leather", in keeping with the sustainability theme.
The autopilot feature takes getting used to. We test drove the Model 3 in Sunnyvale (we live in Los Gatos) at a service center in mid December.
It was a little rainy. On 280 North, Sue put it in AP; there was a large semi and other cars in the right lane.
She signaled for a right lane change; the car accelerated around the semi and made the change.
When she 1st put it in AP, the car shifter ever so slightly to the center of the lane.

Yes, there are no knobs, known as the clean minimalist look.
Some call it "very Japanese".

I tell people it is not for everyone; if you like things the way they are, you will struggle with the Model 3.
My brother in law is a car guy (3 classic Vettes, etc).
He kept his left foot on the brake and 2 footed it generating a warning message on the display.
He tested AP and drove it like he thought it should work which just doesn't work.

Young people, on the other hand, take to the car naturally.
They are amazing.
This car is the future.

The car is expensive. Our white mid range was about $63K out the door with CA tax and registration.
Of course the tax credit will help, as will other incentives.
That buys a lot of other cars.
For example, I got a Lexus RX450h 2 weeks ago for my sister. Nicely equipped.
Lexus quality and does so much so well. It was like $55K out the door for the ultimate Costco vehicle.
And Mark can 2 foot it...

Last edited:

Not up here in the frozen north. Less than 50% range in extreme cold...kinda useless.

I was surprised to see 8 Tesla charging stations at the Meijer store in Maumee OH, though I have yet to see any of them in use. I wonder how much benefit they are to a typical shopper who probably spends no more than one hour shopping (probably less).

If the main display fails, you can use the phone app to get speed (with a delay), set climate control, etc. This was according to someone on the M3 forums who was initially stranded when his display went blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back