Customer declined new belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
More weirdness at work.

IMG_20190322_131219.jpg

How much did you quote the customer for installing a new one? My old belt had cracks in it. Ordered a Bando off of Rock for $13 or so.

Simple! have your customer sign on your work order/receipt saying something like : "...offered replacement on a deteriorated serpentine belt, customer declined..." or something like that.

Hava good day!

Q.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
How much did you quote the customer for installing a new one? My old belt had cracks in it. Ordered a Bando off of Rock for $13 or so.

Toyota quoted my brother $180 to change the belt in his 4runner. He bought the belt from them for like $30 and changed it himself in literally 3 minutes.

Originally Posted by Quest
Simple! have your customer sign on your work order/receipt saying something like : "...offered replacement on a deteriorated serpentine belt, customer declined..." or something like that.

Hava good day!

Q.

This sounds like a very good idea… but I am sure you have it well in hand already.

He'll be calling to cuss you out when it snaps and leaves them stranded somewhere…

I can't compete with online stuff. My cost for the gates replacement is $21... We told the customer $32. No extra labor as I had to take it off anyway to do other repairs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142

I can't compete with online stuff. My cost for the gates replacement is $21... We told the customer $32.

$32 I will take this offer everyday.

I can't compete with online stuff. My cost for the gates replacement is $21... We told the customer $32.

That's a steal. My lowest quote around here was $90 at a tire shop. Dealer was a little over a hundred. Customers that won't spend $32 on a new belt are ones you don't want.

I can't compete with online stuff. My cost for the gates replacement is $21... We told the customer $32. No extra labor as I had to take it off anyway to do other repairs.

So how much was it on rockauto/amazon?

He probably thought you were trying to over-sell him parts that he didn't really need....like some places do.

I salute you for this magnificent offer!

That's a steal. My lowest quote around here was $90 at a tire shop. Dealer was a little over a hundred. Customers that won't spend $32 on a new belt are ones you don't want.

That's because the labor is already part of the work he's doing. He's not charging $32 for just a belt job. But I agree, that's weird to say no to.

Good for you. I've seen shops try to double dip on labor in a situation like this. Poor choice on the customer for walking away from that offer.

His problem, not yours. That's how I see it. I'd write a release and have him sign it so when it breaks he can't "try" to blame you or the shop you work for.

$32! That customer must have some serious money issues to turn that down. I would have thanked you for catching it.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
$32! That customer must have some serious money issues to turn that down. I would have thanked you for catching it.
Wow-$32 is 10 gallons of gas or a case or 2 of beer! Times must be tough out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back