Ichiro Suzuki retiring from baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A true icon of the game in the modern era. He played the game true and without any help. He kept his nose clean and was always a model citizen wherever he played. It has been said that he is a magician with the bat.

His final walkoff at the Tokyo Dome yesterday with the Seattle Mariners is a great memory.

https://youtu.be/T8gg2NolekM

They said he could have been a homerun hitter if he wanted but he preferred to slap the ball around. He was instantly loved when he was a Yankee.

He was a class act I was pleasantly surprised to watch him play last season. I thought he retired years ago. To bad he played the majority of his career in Seattle if he played on the east coast he would have been more widely regarded.

Originally Posted by dave1251
He was a class act I was pleasantly surprised to watch him play last season. I thought he retired years ago. To bad he played the majority of his career in Seattle if he played on the east coast he would have been more widely regarded.

There is that. I don't think Ichiro was in it for the fame though.

He beat my A's so many times.
In fact, in his 1st and last games he beat the A's with the same score; 5-4 I believe.
Sheesh.

Was reading last season that Ichiro's whole life is baseball and he doesn't know what he's going to do once he doesn't play anymore.
I'm not sure if he's the type of person who is interested in managing...

He may be the last of a dying breed, the MLB hitter who concentrates on making contact and trying to beat it out rather than hitting solid line drives or lofting the ball deep...he was really a baseball slapper for those who are familiar with fastpitch softball. I have seen that he can put on a power show in BP, but I wonder how well that would have carried over to the actual games. Ty Cobb (a much larger man) disdained power hitting as brutish, uncultured, and antiscientific, and claimed he could have hit plenty of HRs if he had been interested in them...of course, Babe Ruth said he could have hit .600 compared to Cobb's .400 if he had been trying for mere base hits instead of HRs. The men became good friends later in life...

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Was reading last season that Ichiro's whole life is baseball and he doesn't know what he's going to do once he doesn't play anymore.
I'm not sure if he's the type of person who is interested in managing...

He may be the last of a dying breed, the MLB hitter who concentrates on making contact and trying to beat it out rather than hitting solid line drives or lofting the ball deep...he was really a baseball slapper for those who are familiar with fastpitch softball. I have seen that he can put on a power show in BP, but I wonder how well that would have carried over to the actual games. Ty Cobb (a much larger man) disdained power hitting as brutish, uncultured, and antiscientific, and claimed he could have hit plenty of HRs if he had been interested in them...of course, Babe Ruth said he could have hit .600 compared to Cobb's .400 if he had been trying for mere base hits instead of HRs. The men became good friends later in life...

I totally agree. Most sports figures these days are in for the fame, the money and so forth. The last couple of years or so Ichiro has known he was declining. Most athletes have left the sport long before they are 40. Here he is at 45. I think his mission these past few years was to teach the nuances of the game.

He did play in the east coast a while back, for the NY Yankees 2012-2014. Happy Retirement Suzuki-san! Domo arigato for the adventure.

Last edited:
Ichiro would have broken Pete Rose's All Time Hits record, had he played his entire career in MLB. He may have even batted .400 in one of those earlier seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back