Old Laptop - Keeps Freezing - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP here. I actually switched to a SSD (and added 4 GB of RAM) a few months ago, hoping it would solve the freezing problem.

Obviously, it hasn't. A couple questions: When fresh-installing WIN 10, does one delete the current one first? Can you still use Word/Excel and print using Linux Mint?

Thanks for all the ideas!
Ryan

Freezing is usually the result of overheating.

It's a good idea to do a clean install of Win 10. The offline installer, as in you burn a CD or USB drive, will do a clean install. Backup your data first!

You can't run Word/Excel in Linux. You CAN run LibreOffice. It's free and will work with your existing files - no conversion required.

Last edited:
Lots of good suggestions, but very few of them have even bothered to start with the recommendation of TESTING FIRST. I do see a couple suggestions to clean, which would be my first suggestion.

Before you start throwing more money at it with new hardware, I would start doing some initial testing as well as some thorough cleaning. In cases like this, heat is almost always a factor, and if the fan/heat sink have not been cleaned and checked in a long time, then airflow is definitely part of the problem. Also, make sure that the surface you're using the laptop on is conducive to proper airflow.

Here's what I would do:

1 - Check that the cooling fan (or fans) is working properly. You should be able to hear it spinning and hopefully pushing/pulling air
2 - Check the heat sinks/vents to make sure air flow is good. You should be able to place your hand next to the outflow vent and feel warm or hot air exiting.

- If either of the above indicates a problem with airflow/cooling, then you need to remedy that before you try ANYTHING else. It's entirely possible that the fan in your 6-year-old laptop is simply aging and not moving enough air.. and it's also entirely possible that it works fine, but dust has completely blocked the air it would be moving.

3 - Assuming air flow is not the issue, you need to start by completely circumventing the currently installed O/S and hard drive. Get a 8GB or 16GB flash drive, install Linux Mint or another Linux distro on it. Alternatively, if your laptop has working CD/DVD drive, get ahold of a Linux bootable CD/DVD and use that. Boot your laptop from the CD/DVD/USB so that it is not running at all on the hard drive, and see if it handles running Linux from the removable media without issue for a decent length of time.

- If it works fine with that, then it's likely either your hard drive or the O/S installation on it.
- If it still locks up or crashes running Linux from the removable media, then it's likely there is a physical hardware issue, like RAM or the motherboard/CPU/chipset.

The downside of Mint in my experience is installing printer drivers. None of my printers were plug and play with Mint. Took guidance from others online, not always easily found or easy for me to follow. Typing this on Thinkpad R61i running Mint, though I like Ubuntu better.
There is a learning curve with Linux. I am slow so it took a lot of trial and error to adapt.

If you install Linux and do not like it you could always go back to 10. It may show you if 10 is the problem.

It can be anything: ram, hard drive, windows.... usually not power supply for a laptop but you never know.

You can try swapping parts until you narrow down to one thing, but it may not worth the time for a 6 yr old laptop, it is really up to you. I would try swapping ram with another laptop if you can just for an experiment, or reinstall the OS (clean install), or swapping an old HD with an old OS on it, basically swap anything you can if you can borrow a spare laptop from someone.

Originally Posted by reemoe2
I have a HP 2000 Notebook laptop that's about six years old. It has an Intel Core i3 processor. I believe it came with Windows 8, but it's been upgraded to Windows 10 a couple years ago. For a while now, it randomly freezes up; I cannot do anything, even ctrl-alt-delete. I have to hold down the power button for 5 seconds to start over.

Ryan

There have been 3-4 MAJOR Windows Updates since you downloaded Windows 10 in that Windows 8 Notebook.
Have you been keeping up with all the Updates?

BTW..... my Toshiba laptop runs as fast today on Windows 10, as it did six years ago on Windows 8.

Last edited:
Sir says the right thing, like I mentioned regarding the cost/reward ratio. You MAY be able to salvage it, but if you are not comfortable or capable of safely disassembling and troubleshooting ever-shrinking laptop internals AND reassembling everything without damage, you are still stuck with a 6-generation-old processor that is now a pile of scrap and you're buying a new laptop anyways.

Even low-end hardware these days (Ryzen, DDR4, NVME SSD, etc etc) will give significantly better performance than any i3 from 2013, which was likely still Sandy Bridge.

Heat may well be the culprit of your issues, it may not be; run SMART and a RAM test in your BIOS if you even have the option to do so; it's doubtful with an HP as they have historically severely limited functionality in BIOS. If these two tests don't show any problems, I stand by my original recommendation to remove the RAM and SSD, then get your BFH and take out your frustration on it.

Wipe the SSD, and sell the RAM and drive on Craigslist for $30-50 to help recoup some costs. Buy an i5 or Ryzen 5 laptop for $400-600 that will last another 6-8 years, and move on. Big-box laptops are like TP; use it til it's full of crap, then throw it away and start with a fresh piece. Outside of drive size and some RAM upgradability, if you didn't buy the laptop with it, you're not going to be able to upgrade it.

Something like this seems to fit your needs: HP Ryzen 5 laptop $499

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
BTW..... my Toshiba laptop runs as fast today on Windows 10, as it did six years ago on Windows 8.

Triple, that's funny. Everyone knows Win8 was slow and quickly got worse than that with use... so it's probably not a good reference if you're extolling the virtues of 6-year-old hardware
lol.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Triple, that's funny. Everyone knows Win8 was slow and quickly got worse than that with use... so it's probably not a good reference if you're extolling the virtues of 6-year-old hardware
lol.gif

I musta' bought a freak-then.... one that's married to the Energizer Bunny.
Overall, you are absolutely spot-on. Most Toshiba laptop owners cuss ans swear at theirs.....lol

FYI, it is fixed. Thanks to poster, krismoriah72, who suggested checking Task Manager to see if any programs were taking up excessive CPU resources. Lo and behold, I had one taking 30-40%, so I ended it, and I haven't had the laptop freeze up since! Easy, one-minute fix!

Originally Posted by reemoe2
FYI, it is fixed. Thanks to poster, krismoriah72, who suggested checking Task Manager to see if any programs were taking up excessive CPU resources. Lo and behold, I had one taking 30-40%, so I ended it, and I haven't had the laptop freeze up since! Easy, one-minute fix!

What was the process/program?? I think we'd all like to know. I'd be willing to bet it's something sketchy.

Probably something HP related. I can't tell you how many times I've seen their processes / programs running eating up CPU time like mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back