2007 Escape - TCC solenoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey group!

Had this Escape for 4 months. 77k miles, V6, AWD. Has been problem free up until last week. OD light started flashing, 2-3 shift was slow (rpm would go up 1-2k and then slam into gear). Code P0741, TCC solenoid stuck open.

I do not know when the transmission fluid was changed, if ever. Doesnt smell burnt. Its clear and red (full red, not bright like new). All other gears shift fine. Fluid level is a smidgen above full.

My extended used car warranty does not cover the TCC, nor any diagnostic fees. I was estimated $600 to fix the TCC, more if that's not the issue. I can get a rebuilt, fully tested TCC and valve body (the other part I read that could cause my issues) for $150. Just a diagnosis at the dealership is $120, more if they rear into it (which...come on.....they will).

Anything else I should try before tearing into the trans? Seems straight forward: remove front panel, remove valve body and solenoid array, reinstall, dont F it up.

I'd like to add that the problem seems to go away after driving for 10 miles or so. I'm assuming the trans is fully warm by then. Code will still pop up even after cleared during this time but the shifts are normal.

What use is an extended warranty if it doesn't cover a transmission issue?

Anyway, if you're gonna do the work yourself you may as well change the valve body/tcc and hope it fixes it because it's only $150.

Last edited:
Well on the way to work the transmission decided it didnt want to stay in gear. Shut it off, turned it back on, and limped into a gas station. Itll drive but not well

TCC Regulator Valve bore wear is the most common cause of P0741 "TCC Stuck Off" DTC on the 6F50. Unfortunately.....This causes low pressure to be applied to the Converter Clutch & can quickly burn the clutch lining.

A Valve Body is worth a shot, I recommend Sonnax!

I would stay away from cheap re-built TCM's......You can end up with more problems than you have now! The mechanical portion of the TCC Solenoid rarely fails.

Originally Posted by Burks21
Well on the way to work the transmission decided it didnt want to stay in gear. Shut it off, turned it back on, and limped into a gas station. Itll drive but not well

And P0741 is still the only DTC?

Originally Posted by Burks21
Replaced the valve body and TCC, still doesnt move. Stealership it is!

I'd dump that thing and cut my losses. Dealer will want $3-4K to replace the transmission and that's more than a 12 year old escape is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back