Chrysler Valvetrain week??

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 Dodge Challenger 3.6L Pentastar with 98,xxx miles, It's an Auction car brought in by one of the used car lots we do business with.

The rear #3 Intake Valve Springs is broke.....I heard it "Huffing" through the air filter housing & the first thing I did was install a Vacuum Gauge! It bounced rabidly between 17 inches of Vacuum & 2 psi.
Hooked up the scan tool & showed a P0300 & P0303.....I expected a MAP sensor performance DTC to be included but P0106 isn't supported?

Pulled the valve cover & sure enough.....Now I had to prove-out that the valve isn't bent.
*Barred the engine 'til all #3 valves were closed, Had a helper hold a breaker bar on the crank bolt while I introduced air via my Leak-Down regulator while pulling up on the spring retainer with a Awl.....No dice as the lash adjuster was pumped-up.
*Removed the rocker arm using a special tool called a flat blade screwdriver.
* Re-Introduced air pressure, But didn't have my Awl positioned right ....Instead of backing off the regulator like I should have. I just re-positioned my Awl & scared the "S" out of my helper when the valve sealed
blush.gif

*Excellent leakdown percentage at 80 psi.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Could have been worse if the valve dropped down far enough get hit by the piston.
eek.gif

I changed the valve springs on my Z06 because they were known to break the OEM valve springs. Lots of Z06 guys lunched their engines when a spring broke.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Is this a common thing with this engine?

I don't think so.....I rarely see broken valve springs on OHC engines in general as they don't have to dampen a lot of weight like a OHV engine. This is a bottom of the barrel Auction vehicle that's pretty ragged out!

It must be that week … son's 2007 Chrysler 3.5L sounds like rocks are tumbling driver side OHC …
Probably end of the road for that car …

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Could have been worse if the valve dropped down far enough get hit by the piston.
eek.gif

I changed the valve springs on my Z06 because they were known to break the OEM valve springs. Lots of Z06 guys lunched their engines when a spring broke.

I'm well versed with LSx engines breaking springs, I actually like the Yellow & Blue LS6/LS2 springs used in Non-Performance/Low Rev applications!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Is this a common thing with this engine?

I don't think so.....I rarely see broken valve springs on OHC engines in general as they don't have to dampen a lot of weight like a OHV engine. This is a bottom of the barrel Auction vehicle that's pretty ragged out!

But at least there's no sludge or varnish!
grin.gif
Sadly ironic.

Nice and clean. Based on your comment: "This is a bottom of the barrel Auction vehicle that's pretty ragged out!" I have a feeling the engine was driven hard while still cold most of its life. Neglect doesn't always come in the form of skipping or extending oil changes too far.

Surprised it made it to over 90K.

Just finally gave up the ghost with cycling failure.

5 dollar part. Happens.

Those are nice 6-ers. Had a Charger "cop car" rental couple years ago.
Kept opening the hood to look for a Tuned V8.

That means the air pressure was pushing the valve with the broken spring up against its seat and it was sealing, correct?

Originally Posted by das_peikko

That means the air pressure was pushing the valve with the broken spring up against its seat and it was sealing, correct?

Correct, And that cylinder was washed down with fuel so 25% leakage is really good!

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Well now! Maybe you'll get a sludged up 4.7L next
lol.gif

You were way off
grin.gif
........4.7L that broke a connecting rod right below the small end, Surprised I was able to get all the Torque Converter bolts out!

The wreaking yard engine looked ROUGH on the outside, But pretty clean on the inside & passed a Leakdown with flying colors. It was also REALLY quiet for a 4.7L even on the initial fire-up.

The 4.7L is a hunk of crap in my opinion, Not 2.7L bad.....But still pretty bad. This isn't the first engine swap for this 130,000 mile Ram 1500 either!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
eek.gif

The valve springs GM chooses makes me shake my head. Any GM V8 needs better ones if it's going to be beat on at high RPM.

Originally Posted by 4WD
It must be that week … son's 2007 Chrysler 3.5L sounds like rocks are tumbling driver side OHC …
Probably end of the road for that car …

Some of those engines had issues with the rocker arm assembly and after that was replaced w/updated version the engines went on for a long life. The 3.5 is actually a decent engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back