Lisle funnel for radiator drain & fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pepboys has them on sale for $25: https://www.pepboys.com/lisle-spill-free-funnel-thread/product/669560?quantity=1

My question--does it take as long as a lisle-less funnel takes--is the only advantage that it keeps you from spilling coolant?

Or does it make the burping process quicker?

If I am going to spend $25 to save a few paper towels every time I do this with my cars, I might hold off. But if I don't have to keep the engine running for 30 mins (which is about how long it takes to burp the air out), that could easily tip the scales and I think I'd want one.

i tried that thing once on a dodge ram, it didn't work at all and the coolant spilled everywhere. returned it

I've got that part. My question is--does it save time when burping, or does that take just as long?

Originally Posted by Warstud
Instead of it boiling over onto the ground it boils inside the funnel while your bleeding.

I have the EPAuto version from Amazon for a few bucks less. Works very well on my Hondas (blue cap adapter). Virtually no spills which is good if you have pets. The main advantage I saw was the ability to keep fluid in the funnel while burping so you don't have to worry about sucking in air during the burp process.

I bought a similiar one from Amazon. Works well. Just installed a radiator in a 2004 Sentra.
Had the car on ramps so the front was elevated. Filled the radiator and just let it run.
Easy peasy.

Originally Posted by paulri
I've got that part. My question is--does it save time when burping, or does that take just as long?

Originally Posted by Warstud
Instead of it boiling over onto the ground it boils inside the funnel while your bleeding.

It works great and much faster. No need to squeeze a hose either. Suggest you put a large rag over the perimeter to avoid any boil over, which only happens if you fill too fast. $25 is a great price - use on many cars.

I've done coolant changes several times and never needed such a funnel. I pour coolant carefully and don't make a mess. I've never had issues burping out air either. My driveway is on an incline, which likely helps the air rise faster. If I'm in my garage, I just jack up the front end a little. Run the engine @2500 RPM for 2 cooling fan cycles, heater on max hot, blower off, done.

They used to put bleed valves on cooling systems, but now not so many if at all. Why not? Penny pinching? Or discourage self service?

Originally Posted by mclasser
I've done coolant changes several times and never needed such a funnel. I pour coolant carefully and don't make a mess. I've never had issues burping out air either. My driveway is on an incline, which likely helps the air rise faster. If I'm in my garage, I just jack up the front end a little. Run the engine @2500 RPM for 2 cooling fan cycles, heater on max hot, blower off, done.

Except cars where the coolant fill is under the cowl.................. dumb! The Lisle kit with angled fittings is a Godsend in those cars.

Last edited:
Yes, it saves time when burping. It makes it much easier to see when you're done, easier to see when the bubbles stop, and you can take the leftover coolant and pour it right back into the original bottle
smile.gif

The Lisle funnel, and the extra coolant in it, makes sure you are well above the highest point in the radiator/cooling system, making the bleed process much easier and faster.

OK that means I would not only save coolant & paper towels, but also time. Sounds like a bargain for 25 bucks.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Yes, it saves time when burping. It makes it much easier to see when you're done, easier to see when the bubbles stop, and you can take the leftover coolant and pour it right back into the original bottle
smile.gif

The Lisle funnel, and the extra coolant in it, makes sure you are well above the highest point in the radiator/cooling system, making the bleed process much easier and faster.

I got one 20 years ago - best bang for buck of anything I've ever bought. Not just for a coolant change, they are good for head gasket checks too.

These work very well at filling and expelling air from cooling systems.The Lisle kit contains the most common radiator adapters. It helps too open up the heater core when filling to avoid air pockets.

Pepboys has them on sale for $25:

It's on sale for $17.58, and is discounted because of the Customer Appreciation Event.

"Customer Appreciation Event - 30% Off Select Products Instantly! Discount will apply automatically in cart during checkout. Those products that are eligible will be displayed in search results and product detail pages."

Originally Posted by BigD1

It's on sale for $17.58, and is discounted because of the Customer Appreciation Event.

"Customer Appreciation Event - 30% Off Select Products Instantly! Discount will apply automatically in cart during checkout. Those products that are eligible will be displayed in search results and product detail pages."

Where did you find it for $17.58?

When I look at that item, the $25 is with the 30% taken off--the normal price that I am shown is $35.

I'm also curious---where do you see it for $17.58?

Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by BigD1

Where did you find it for $17.58?

$25.12 retail price minus the 30% customer appreciation equals $17.58 for me.

Lislefunnel.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back