Sodium (Na) 7

Contaminants

Water (%)
Coolant No

Physical Tests

Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.8

Physical / Chemical

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 2.2

This sample saw frequent towing, average mpg for the interval was 12.9. olm was at 1%. The filter used was a fram TG10575.

Comments from the lab: "Engine wear levels appear satisfactory for first sample. Silicon level (dirt/sealant material) satisfactory. Water content acceptable. Viscosity within specified operating range. Action: As oil and filter(s) already changed, resample next service interval to monitor and establish wear trend."

I'm not familiar with that engine and you dont have universal averages or what the average miles are but the Iron and Copper look outrageously high to me.

Is this a 0w20 specified truck? I'd think a 5w30 would be more appropriate for towing. Seems like a lot of iron/copper. I suppose the numbers are within universal average.

Yeah, it's a 0w-20 specced truck with zero ambiguity about it. We might compare a run or two of magnatec 5w-30 and see how it likes it, but stuck with 20wt so far. This engine has a variable displacement oil pump and cylinder deactivation, but member gonefishing seems to have tried 5w-30 at some point with no apparent issues. I believe the truck is equipped with an oil cooler.

0-20 Should be in this truck, Also Copper levels are normal for L83 sbc, Iron is about on par also maybe slightly high but well okay. Run Wix XP or Fram ultra and use 0-20 like dexos approved oil and see how next analysis is at 7k.
(I know these numbers are about on par cause my last truck was L83 5.3 also)

Last edited:
So what's a bad iron number on a 7,700 mile run?

2ppm per thousand miles is more typical. Is this the kind of bump we should expect from towing?

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
So what's a bad iron number on a 7,700 mile run?

2ppm per thousand miles is more typical. Is this the kind of bump we should expect from towing?

No, it's the kind of bump you should expect from a GM V8.

Well, if it were me, I'd change a losing game.

I'd at least change brands. If that didn't help I would move up to slightly heavier oil.

I've always heard Fram filters were garbage, I use Napa Gold (Wix) or purolator. I've almost never heard of anyone actually like and recommend a fram oil filter.

Originally Posted by battleman13
I've always heard Fram filters were garbage, I use Napa Gold (Wix) or purolator. I've almost never heard of anyone actually like and recommend a fram oil filter.

Fram's quality is variable. The cheap orange cans are a bottom tier filter, but the Ultra (gold can) is a top tier filter, as good as anything made and not too expensive, either. The Fram Ultras are a favorite around these parts.

Huh, I wonder where you got that.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Huh, I wonder where you got that.

Amen to that reply and hopefully not many more members here are living in years past.
Speaking of the past, how old is this oil? With that much Calcium and so less Magnesium, I'll bet the 5w20 Magnatec is not built like that anymore.

Last edited:
We need a bit more information on your towing. With my towing, I'm pulling 6000 lbs and my engine is running at 3500 rpm. Even with a factory motor oil cooler and a factory auxiliary tranny cooler I suspect the motor oil is heating up past 100 C.

You are starting out with an 8.8 cSt oil. If your oil temp is higher, you might be down at 6 cSt. I would recommend a 5w30 oil.

smile.gif

I have had 3 5.3 GM engines, including my current 2004 Yukom 5.3. They shed iron a lot, typical GM v8's. UOA doesn't look that alarming considering.

I am currently running Amsoil 10w30 to see if it helps with the high iron numbers I see.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster

Fram's quality is variable. The cheap orange cans are a bottom tier filter, but the Ultra (gold can) is a top tier filter, as good as anything made and not too expensive, either. The Fram Ultras are a favorite around these parts.

For the price of an orange can, I got a case of PF63e's ($4 each) … going to give Fram time to purge the old XG10575 stock … I don't support breaking seals to peek inside for the proper PRV …
They seem to bond the ends well on AC Delco filters

Also just ordered AFE instead of EP since the OLM (both 5.3L's) are done at 7k … Oil and filter time …

F494F0DD-EF74-4344-AD5D-9C40C6103E0E.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back