Need help finding a riding mower with $1,500 budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at JD e100 but I don't like the way it change the oil . I like drain plug and oil filter type of oil change . New JD all you do is change the oil filter ( new oil filter come with prefill with new oil .

Something dependable . Easy maint . And automatic transmission . For cut just a small yard . I live in a corner lot .

I ask this question few year back . Never have a change to do it . Thanks you

Upon further research the E100 and E140 appear to have a conventional canister oil filter and drain plug. All other E series models are advertised to have Easy Change.

Last edited:
Per the link the kit only fits the e120 to the e180 but not the e100. The conversion can be bought from JD for about $10 without the oil and filter offered in the link. The e100 should be fine for a smallish level yard. My son bought the e170 last year for his 1 acre yard and likes it.

Last edited:
Look for something used local. I sold my 2000 model MTD yard machine 38" cut with mulch kit just last week for 250 bucks, not a thing wrong with it and never had any issues with it. There are good deals out there on used conventional rides as lots are switching out to zero turns. I only sold my rider because I bought a zero turn stander mower.

One thing with those JD mowers, parts are cheap and everywhere. Strangely the local dealers prices are almost identical to EBay Amazon . Try getting things for Simplicity...¾. I've got one and ain't bragging about it.

Buy a Toro Timemaster 30" walk behind. Most of us need the exercise. I have a riding mower and seldom use it.

You would be surprised how fast a walk behind 30" mower cuts.

Toro is a huge step up in mower quality from the John Deere or Ariens or Husquvarna.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
Buy a Toro Timemaster 30" walk behind. Most of us need the exercise. I have a riding mower and seldom use it.

You would be surprised how fast a walk behind 30" mower cuts.

Toro is a huge step up in mower quality from the John Deere or Ariens or Husquvarna.

Sorry, but that made me laugh coffee through my nose. Thanks! (Agree with the Husky sentiment, tho.....Ariens...meh.)

Originally Posted by Driz
One thing with those JD mowers, parts are cheap and everywhere. Strangely the local dealers prices are almost identical to EBay Amazon . Try getting things for Simplicity...¾. I've got one and ain't bragging about it.

Sold a JD to buy a Simplicity from numerous recommendations. Sad to say, the Simplicity has been a money pit. While what I bought was a "low end" Regent, at 130 hours, I've so far replaced [censored] near ever electrical component on it....starter solenoid, anti-backfire cutoff in carb,, magneto armature, PTO switch...also had to replace both idler pulleys on the deck, the idler and tensioner pulleys for the drive belt, 3 belts (throws one about every 1.5 years), gas tank, carburetor, fuel pump.....[censored] near everything. It's a 2012 model and unfortunately was after Simplicity was bought out by Briggs & Stratton...and the part selection/quality shows it, sadly.

Then, as you alluded to, there's the availability of parts. Amazon is a close friend of mine, as is ebay, PartsTree, Small Parts Warehouse, amongst others. Closest Simplicity dealer is almost 2 hours away and hugely overpriced. Snapper dealers also carry Simplicity parts (since Simplicity owned Snapper for about 2 years before the B&S buyout) but again, overpriced and rarely have the part in stock.

I am just glad I've got a new JD 240 coming in a month. Got the Simplicity about ready to sell...finally.

Automatic transmission and dependable might not be easy to find in a $1500 mower. For that amount I would expect a traditional geared unit to hold up better.

Last edited:
^ Disagree, my Scotts mower (during the period that MTD made them), with a B&S Intek engine and auto trans, has been as dependable as you could hope for over the 20-some years I've had it.

Sure it needed a pulley or two over that time, and 3 belts, and tires, and I got a spare set of blades so I could have a sharp set ready to swap on, so each set wore half as fast, and now it finally has a rust hole in the deck which affects nothing.

Budget grade units with an auto transmission don't shift gears, they just affect the belt slippage and are pretty reliable. You might have to replace the belt more often from the slippage but come to think of it, I haven't even needed to replace the primary drive belt yet, just the deck belts which seem to suffer more from the sharp radius of their pulleys.

The real question here is what special features do you need besides auto tranny (aka gearless) because you don't need to spend $1500 for something to do a small lawn unless you insist on a top brand and brand new.

A lot of people praise cub cadet and John Deere, but frankly you are Just Cutting Grass, they may have certain benefits such as making it easier to adjust the deck height, but as far as the rest goes, a JD pulley or belt doesn't last any longer and the blades still need sharpened, etc.

Now the shocking part that is on-topic for this forum. The oil filter I've used on mine with the 19HP B&S Intek engine for over 20 years (and it still runs great), is nothing special, a $3 Fram Extra Guard PH3614, also spec'd for the smaller V6 on a ~ 2005 era Toyota Camry, as well as a dozen other makes and model years.

Some things just aren't worth pouring a lot of money into, like your lawn. Just keep it weeded, seeded, and mowed as needed.

Originally Posted by Dave9
^ Disagree, my Scotts mower (during the period that MTD made them), with a B&S Intek engine and auto trans, has been as dependable as you could hope for over the 20-some years I've had it.

Sure it needed a pulley or two over that time, and 3 belts, and tires, and I got a spare set of blades so I could have a sharp set ready to swap on, so each set wore half as fast, and now it finally has a rust hole in the deck which affects nothing.

Budget grade units with an auto transmission don't shift gears, they just affect the belt slippage and are pretty reliable. You might have to replace the belt more often from the slippage but come to think of it, I haven't even needed to replace the primary drive belt yet, just the deck belts which seem to suffer more from the sharp radius of their pulleys.

The real question here is what special features do you need besides auto tranny (aka gearless) because you don't need to spend $1500 for something to do a small lawn unless you insist on a top brand and brand new.

A lot of people praise cub cadet and John Deere, but frankly you are Just Cutting Grass, they may have certain benefits such as making it easier to adjust the deck height, but as far as the rest goes, a JD pulley or belt doesn't last any longer and the blades still need sharpened, etc.

Now the shocking part that is on-topic for this forum. The oil filter I've used on mine with the 19HP B&S Intek engine for over 20 years (and it still runs great), is nothing special, a $3 Fram Extra Guard PH3614, also spec'd for the smaller V6 on a ~ 2005 era Toyota Camry, as well as a dozen other makes and model years.

Some things just aren't worth pouring a lot of money into, like your lawn. Just keep it weeded, seeded, and mowed as needed.

I agree you do not want to spend more than is needed on a lawn mower. But do not want to spend weekends fixing the lawn mower either. In most riding mowers its sold or given away and the engine still runs. The mower deck and the stuff on it goes. The deck rusts, spindles get expensive. Belts are not cheap either, The carb on the engine will get crudded up if you do not use a stabilizer or run dry or use E0. Seats get beat up,

Originally Posted by Dave9

Are you sure your Scotts is an MTD product? In that time frame, Scotts riding mowers were made by John Deere.

In regards to the OPs question, the "what's the best riding mower for ~$1500" comes up often. IMO, in this price point, they're all about the same, although I do prefer Husqvarna group built machines over MTD. I feel they're built a little better and are easier to work on than MTD.

Which ever way you go, the key to longevity is in how you use and care for the machine. If you set the cutting deck such that it does't ride on or plow against the ground, it going to last a long time. Quick cleaning the underside of the deck with a stick and blowing the whole thing off with a leaf blower after each use helps them last as well. Dry storage is also important. Make/model/size of the engine is irrelevant in this price range, although I don't care for large Kohler single cylinder engines.

Last edited:
I went to home depot , I like the cub cadet but they all leave it out side, it look dirty and rotten, I check lowes and Husqvarna YTH18542 18.5-HP Hydrostatic 42-in Riding Lawn Mower with Mulching Capability

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-...apability-Kit-Sold-Separately/1000368427

might be my pick, my redneck friend, told me I should pay a little more for Kohler or honda or kawashaki engine.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
I went to home depot , I like the cub cadet but they all leave it out side, it look dirty and rotten, I check lowes and Husqvarna YTH18542 18.5-HP Hydrostatic 42-in Riding Lawn Mower with Mulching Capability

might be my pick, my redneck friend, told me I should pay a little more for Kohler or honda or kawashaki engine.
cheers3.gif

Good rider, I have the Craftsman version, not hydrostatic and I like it. I do feel it is rather overkill for a small corner city parcel. I do not know how mobile you are but a good walk behind might get that lot cut quicker than a bulky rider.

Yes … my 42" Craftsman is six years old now with zero issues … 19 HP B&S runs great as does the hydro drive …

I got the short turn with cast iron axle … and has grease fittings up front …

Originally Posted by MetalSlug

cheers3.gif

The Kohler Courage is a Chinese made engine. I have one in my Ariens walk behind with no issues, but most people avoid them.

I'd purchase the John Deere and get the retro-kit for doing oil changes or to save some dollars get the 42" Craftsman with a B&S engine. Taken care of either of these mowers will be running after you can't. -Ha. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back