PSF3 in older Kia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything special about this fluid? Can I use atf to replace it? Doing a complete flush of the lines and would like to use the best fluid I can afford. Would love to know the specs of the elusive psf3. Any help would be appreciated.

So it's just Dexron II. Would regular Valvoline white bottle psf cover that? Can get for about 4 usd a qt. Or would I be better off with a Castrol Dex/Merc product because it still meets the dex specs.

Since/if it is indeed Dexron II then any Dexron II or III would work well such as Castrol Dex/Merc or Valvoline MaxLife ATF or even my favorite, Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

The lubegard psf looks interesting, but not a fan of "recommended". Seems to cover an awful large amount of fluids. Ravenol specs look exactly like a dex3. Looks like it's Castrol Dex/Merc for 4 bucks a qt. Will keep y'all up to date when I flush on Friday.

Real Hyundai PSF-3 is proprietary to Hyundai, much like Honda ATF DW-1 can only be purchased from Honda. Any third-party fluid is going to be "recommended" for the application. Doesn't make it evil or bad but automakers don't license those specifications to others.

Doesn't your owner's manual say "PSF-3 type" fluid?

The lubegard psf looks interesting, but not a fan of "recommended". ….
Personally wasn't promoting Lubegard, more about the entire content of the linked thread. kschachn explained the use of "recommended for" , some use "suitable for". Anyway, Dex II/III not a difficult spec to meet. I wouldn't over think it.

I love lubegard products. When I had my impala it saved me from having to rebuild the transmission. Now I have a Kia, and wanted to flush out the likely factory fill still in it. Wouldn't hurt to have more 3rd party licensed fluids floating around imho.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
Wouldn't hurt to have more 3rd party licensed fluids floating around imho.

That will not happen.

Also, hasn't Hyundai changed the spec to PSF-4 now?

Did the psf flush with Castrol dex/merc. Took about 1.5qts. Have a half qt left over for a future drain and fill from the reservoir. No leaks time will tell and fingers crossed everything stays dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back