Amazing human feats - free-diving...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some vids that I found captivating.

First one is a training tank...Nemo33 - 33 metres, or 110 feet deep...the dude with the tats was near crippled and heading for a wheelchair before taking up that sport.

Here he is displaying agility sans wing suit...neck weights to give the downwards acceleration.

Now for the endurance records...234metres. nearly 5 laps of an olympic pool...767 feet.

And a proper 145m free dive...475 feet down via weight, then swim back to the surface. Water pressure 1.45MPa...210psi

Last edited:
That would make me freak out so bad that I would die on the spot...I think the mental challenge there is as least as great as the physical one!
Extremely impressive!

My ears felt the pressure just watching that. My friends thought that it was strange that I liked to hang out at the bottom of the 15m public pool as a 10 year old. The pressure was noticeable for me as a land dweller, but it was peaceful and the perspective looking up was serene. I couldn't imagine going to those depths.

I highly recommend the Oscar winning documentary Free Solo. It was about the feat of solo climbing without ropes but also explores the psyche of the extreme athlete. Maybe he's depressed and doesn't really care if he falls and dies. And if does fall and die, what are the resulting ethics and culpability regarding the cameramen and crew.

A friend of mine was an avid free diver for abalone that's up on the North Coast of NorCal. He recently had a stroke and his doctor kept him from any form of diving for a bit. He really loved diving, abalone was just a extra for him, so he was quite depressed when he couldn't dive.

I'll take up scuba diving, a dive instructor said I looked quite natural underwater when I did a discover scuba session in a pool.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
That would make me freak out so bad that I would die on the spot...I think the mental challenge there is as least as great as the physical one!
Extremely impressive!

It's nothing on those guys, but I've been doing wim Hoff breathing work for about half a year now.

50 press-ups on a single breath is my morning routine, and I've cracked 60 a few times. It's certainly not as elegant as the water versions.

There's a number of mental thresholds that you pass through on the way to 50. 30 is the immediate need to breathe...that's easy. 40 has an "I'm gonna die" pop into your head, and a feeling to evacuate one-self...through that, (it's all mental) and then it's how long the muscles will go...that's physical.

O2 sat only drops to about 92%, and pulse rises to 100-105....so not extreme at all (I get to mid 60s O2 and 55 pulse in the regular breath work - 135 pulse in the sauna after 40 minutes).

I would love one of those Nemo pools,

Originally Posted by nthach
A friend of mine was an avid free diver for abalone that's up on the North Coast of NorCal. He recently had a stroke and his doctor kept him from any form of diving for a bit. He really loved diving, abalone was just a extra for him, so he was quite depressed when he couldn't dive.

I'll take up scuba diving, a dive instructor said I looked quite natural underwater when I did a discover scuba session in a pool.

I'd go more by how you felt than what you were told.
If you're comfortable in open water as a swimmer then you'll probably become a competent and confident diver.
If you're at all fearful of being in open water, you probably don't need to dive.
Just my observation based upon what I've seen of others on many dives over the years.
Scuba is fun but, as with piloting a light aircraft, it isn't something everyone can learn to do safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back