M1 HM 10w-30 vs M1 FS 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine just bought a 2003 Silverado 5.3L with 188k miles. He doesn't know what oil is in it now, but it runs good and doesn't leak. He wants to run Mobil 1, but can't decide between Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30 and Mobil 1 FS 0w-40. He lives in Florida so cold cranking isn't a concern. What does BITOG think?

Just an idea. Run the NON-high-mileage, Xw-30 oil first, and see what the consumption looks like, if any (as distinct from leakage). From that starting point, he can make adjustments, presumably to a higher vis and/or HM oil as the developing evidence may suggest.

Valvoline Advanced High Mileage with Maxlife 5w30
I know you said Mobil 1 but high mileage oil doesn't meet Dexos spec except for Valvoline

Last edited:
I vote for Mobil 1 0w40 My truck seems to run the best on the thicker oils. I personally use the mobil 0w40 and i just rolled over 471,000kms on the original engine.

Originally Posted by BigJakeChevy
I vote for Mobil 1 0w40 My truck seems to run the best on the thicker oils. I personally use the mobil 0w40 and i just rolled over 471,000kms on the original engine.

How many quarts are you having to put in with the taller 10575 filter, and how often are you changing the oil and filter?

In this application, the 10w-30 HM would really be the informed one.

The viscosity (100C) is not that different - HTHS of 3.5 vs 3.6 for the 40, and it is known to shear more. Entirely possible that over the life of the fill, the 40 is actually thinner. In Florida, there is zero benefit to the 0w, at the cost of thinner base oil and much higher VII additive, which shear and do not lubricate. For a vehicle that old, an HM add pac is wise. In vehicles I have run both of those oils in (two of them), in each I saw higher consumption with the 0w-40. There's no real compelling reason for the 0w-40 in this application, and several negatives when view head-to-head with the 10w-30 HM.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Just an idea. Run the NON-high-mileage, Xw-30 oil first, and see what the consumption looks like, if any (as distinct from leakage).

And if that works fine, there is certainly nothing wrong with an Xw-30 conventional for that application.

I've recently switched my Volvo back to M1 10W-30 HM after three years of running on M1 0W-40. Here are a couple of observations:

• Highway mileage was the best it's ever been using the 0W-40
  • Consumption on long, high speed trips was higher with 0W-40
  • Cold cranking below 20F seemed slightly more labored with the 10W-30

As mentioned above, there is very little viscosity difference between these two oils at operating temperature and there is really no need for a 0W in that climate.

Originally Posted by tiger862
I know you said Mobil 1 but high mileage oil doesn't meet Dexos spec except for Valvoline

Sounds like the owner doesn't care about dexos1 as neither 10W30 nor 0W40 can be considered for that standard...but, it is very interesting to me that the M1 HM products in the appropriate grades are not d1G2. Maybe too much SA?
This Silverado predates dexos, anyway.

I have developed an interest in using Valvoline synth HM w/ Maxlife 10W30 for a summer change as it is SN+, has a relatively high HTHS at 3.2, and the Noack loss is 7.8% per Valvoline.
M1 HM 10W30 is SN+ and the HTHS is up there at 3.5 as mentioned above, but I can't find Noack loss results anywhere.
I know that I'm overthinking this, but I'm having fun with it!!!
A big question for me is if I can get a rebate on the Valvoline, looks like their typical rebate period starts in July and I probably don't want to wait that long. $10 or whatever isn't a huge deal, but I still do like them rebates...they make me feel good.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

M1 HM 10W30 is SN+ and the HTHS is up there at 3.5 as mentioned above, but I can't find Noack loss results anywhere.

M1 all day long. noak is 7.6. I don't think you need HTHS >3.0 for your Forester.

I suggested Valvoline MaxLife. I also suggested trying the Havoline 6-quart box since its his exact capacity. He is set on M1 though.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

M1 all day long. noak is 7.6. I don't think you need HTHS >3.0 for your Forester.

Thanks for the Noack loss info, could you share where you found it??

I've used lots of HTHS=3 or 3.1 oils and I think they're just fine for my application, it's probably fairly likely that I'll just end up using plain ol M1 5W30 for the next change.
Subaru was nice enough to put an oil cooler in my turbo car, I'm sure there are still locally high temps in the turbo itself but I guess that's why they recommended 5W30 instead of 0W20 like almost all their other cars.
I'm sure not going to be racing this thing, except at green lights!

But, BITOG is much more about what we WANT more than what we NEED! ;^)
I'm interested to try a 10W30 for the summer and that M1 HM has caught my eye now that it is SN+...the higher HTHS might cost me a bit in gas mileage, but me driving like an idiot has much more of an impact on that than any oil will.

Sounds like the owner doesn't care about dexos1 as neither 10W30 nor 0W40 can be considered for that standard...but, it is very interesting to me that the M1 HM products in the appropriate grades are not d1G2. Maybe too much SA?
This Silverado predates dexos, anyway.

I have developed an interest in using Valvoline synth HM w/ Maxlife 10W30 for a summer change as it is SN+, has a relatively high HTHS at 3.2, and the Noack loss is 7.8% per Valvoline.
A big question for me is if I can get a rebate on the Valvoline, looks like their typical rebate period starts in July and I probably don't want to wait that long. $10 or whatever isn't a huge deal, but I still do like them rebates...they make me feel good.

It predates it but GM updated spec to Dexos couple of years ago. Family has 2001 Silverado 4.8 that they got a letter to update specs. I guess cause warranty got extended due to piston slap when cold.

It predates it but GM updated spec to Dexos couple of years ago. Family has 2001 Silverado 4.8 that they got a letter to update specs. I guess cause warranty got extended due to piston slap when cold.

Good info, and very interesting that you have found that only Valvoline HM oils have dexos1.

Is there any reason Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 with a Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra filter can't go 7500 miles in a healthy engine?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Is there any reason Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 with a Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra filter can't go 7500 miles in a healthy engine?

No, why would there be?

ExxonMobil guarantees the product for 10,000 miles or one year:

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-oil-warranty

His question, not mine. He's still on the fence so I'm trying to give him more ammunition with more opinions.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by BigJakeChevy

How many quarts are you having to put in with the taller 10575 filter, and how often are you changing the oil and filter?

I can get a full 6L in it with the taller filter. I run my oci with the olm usually around 10,000-12,000kms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back