Need Recommendations For A New SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be moving to a mountain community within a year. It gets a little snow for 2 or 3 weeks out of the year but it usually melts within a few days and it won't be like living in Buffalo or some place like that where you really get winter.
I figure that I will need at least all wheel drive and maybe 4X4. I do not need a big honkin' monster SUV that seats 7 and can tow a boat or trailer. I have been a lifetime sports car owner but as I approach retirement age I want something more practical. And easier to get in and out of ! I still want a vehicle with some power, good handling considering what it is, and good brakes. I think that will weed out any of the compact SUV's with less than 150 HP.

What I won't buy: A Ford, GM, Chrysler or Jeep, and anything with a CVT. I want to keep it under $50K.

Will an AWD with chains be sufficient in a hilly town with a few inches of snow for brief periods or do I need to step up to 4X4 ? So far I like the reviews of the Mazda CX5 with the 250 HP turbo and AWD. Gas mileage isn't a big deal as I will only be driving 5000 to 8000 miles a year. I'd like to stay under $50K in price too.

What are some of the other good medium size SUV's that would be good performers in that climate and have some get up and go ?

Last edited:
I was going to say a Subaru Forester. But it comes with a CVT or the CrossTrek can get a manual the CrossTrek is a bit weak on power in mountains.
Not sure if the Forester has a manual option? The new CVT in my Outback seems good so far. It also uses a chain instead of a metal band
The new CVT's are built by Fuji Heavy Industries with the chain and pulleys from the German company Luk

Last edited:
Audi Q5 with the 2.0T (current generation), and the longest extended warranty you can find.

I was going to say a Grand Cherokee SRT, as that will hand anything else in that price range it's a$$, but you've said no Jeep so
21.gif

475HP, the excellent ZF 8-speed, electronic locking rear diff, full AWD, big Brembo brakes....

The CX5 would be a fine choice. I own a 2017 GT and it has been exceptional. It handles very well in snow and ice conditions even with all season tires. You could run winter tires for added performance in those conditions. The six speed automatic is very intuitive and you have the manual option if you want more control.

Right now I am getting 31.7 with the 2.5 SkyActiv naturally aspirated engine. That is with 92 premium. I would expect a drop of around 2mpg with the turbo engine but there are plenty of other variables as well.

Consider the Hyundai Kona or Kia Niro. I don't think they use a CVT

I know you don't want GM, and I'm no fan of them either, but the Regal Tourx is worth considering. It's a wagon with AWD and plenty of power and no CVT.

Why the concert over CVT's? Most Subaru CVT's mimic a conventional transmission with shift points, and also let you 'downshift' with paddle shifters for engine braking. The engine logic also 'downshifts' on steeper downgrades if you don't press the accelerator. For a person around 60, the Forester is rated one of the best cars for older people because of excellent handling, visibility and clarity of controls. Around 30K. The Subaru Ascent drives like a luxury car and has decent power too, and has 3 rows of seats for the grandkids. Around 35-40K.

Another good option is a BMW 3 series Xdrive lightly optioned. You could also get a BMW 530 Xdrive without options for 50K.

Toyota will introduce a Prius later this year with AWD ($30K ish). For a roomy vehicle a Toyota Sienna has an AWD option (non-CVT), 35K.

You might also look at an F150 crew cab (40-50K) because of the excellent braking and tons of room, plus towing options.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well you've ruled out the Grand Cherokee and Durango which both have amazing AWD systems, never got stuck with mine.

Audi Q5 gets my vote.

Lexus RX350 AWD.
$2,000 Lexus $$ plus $6,000 discount.
Sould get you into the higher $40's.

Cheapest car you can buy due to reliability and resale.

I just bought another RX450h for under $49K, nicely equipped.
Has a CVT.

Last edited:
I had similar requirements, and also ability to tow 3000 lbs or higher. The only brand I wanted to stay away from was Jeep or Chrysler. I ended up getting a Ford Escape, 2017 with the 2.0 Turbo. I think its the same chassis as the Mazda CX5 but I could be wrong. 245 hp, AWD, 30 mpg actual on the highway. It had much higher tow rating than the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V. I was going to a spare set of wheels and winter tires, but so far I have not needed them so I have been procrastinating for 2 years.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I had similar requirements, and also ability to tow 3000 lbs or higher. The only brand I wanted to stay away from was Jeep or Chrysler. I ended up getting a Ford Escape, 2017 with the 2.0 Turbo. I think its the same chassis as the Mazda CX5 but I could be wrong. 245 hp, AWD, 30 mpg actual on the highway. It had much higher tow rating than the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V. I was going to a spare set of wheels and winter tires, but so far I have not needed them so I have been procrastinating for 2 years.

Ford and Mazda divorced many years ago. There is no similarity between the two at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back