Chemical fire in texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering why they couldn't call up this?

[Linked Image]

They did use foam, but 11 tanks were burning at one point. They extinguished it about 03:00 today, but they are still putting water and foam on the surrounding tanks to prevent re-ignition.

The plume was stretched out for miles, but they say it was high enough in the atmosphere such that it will not cause any health issues (right).

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I was wondering why they couldn't call up this?

[Linked Image]

I watched Juan Browne's mini-documentary on that and the DC-10 firefighting tanker. I understand they fly VFR conditions only while fighting the fires. I imagine you need to be a very good 747 pilot to hand-fly that monster at low altitude on fire retardant drop missions.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
They did use foam, but 11 tanks were burning at one point. They extinguished it about 03:00 today, but they are still putting water and foam on the surrounding tanks to prevent re-ignition.

The plume was stretched out for miles, but they say it was high enough in the atmosphere such that it will not cause any health issues (right).

We had some haze in San Antonio from it.

Large tankers are not generally used to put out fires, they create boundaries using fire retardant, often dropping on ridge lines. In general the smaller the aircraft the closer it drops to the fire. Helicopters drop water directly on fires.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

Yeah, tell that to the 15-20 people I triaged in the ER yesterday coming in with exacerbation of the breathing problems, with all of them starting the day after the fire started, and getting worse as the fire got worse.
We are 50 miles downwind of it.

My Mother-in law lives 5 miles from that plant and was sitting outside smoking her cigarettes the entire time.
My wife got mad at her for being outside (they had a shelter in place initially), but I asked my wife "why are you mad at her from going outside to smoke her cancer sticks? Are you worried she mike inhale something bad?".
That did not go over well...

My brother in law works at the plant next to the one that burned. They spent the past 3 days getting all the stuff they could transferred out of tanks near the fire.

How many of those are trying to get a "Payday" from any of the Lawyers that advertise all day on the television and billboards?

Don't worry … EricG sees plenty like him if passing through Lafayette …

Originally Posted by EricG
How many of those are trying to get a "Payday" from any of the Lawyers that advertise all day on the television and billboards?

Exactly. Bet there will even be claims made by folks in San Antonio and Austin. Soon as news of the fire broke, I'm sure there were plenty of lawyers that added a few phone lines.

Too bad it goes like that … only makes it harder on the actual folks who deserve compensation …

I know a couple stories of this all too well …

Originally Posted by blupupher
2015_PSD said:

My Mother-in law lives 5 miles from that plant and was sitting outside smoking her cigarettes the entire time.
My wife got mad at her for being outside (they had a shelter in place initially), but I asked my wife "why are you mad at her from going outside to smoke her cancer sticks? Are you worried she mike inhale something bad?".
That did not go over well...

rofl !!!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Bud
Originally Posted by EricG

Exactly. Bet there will even be claims made by folks in San Antonio and Austin. Soon as news of the fire broke, I'm sure there were plenty of lawyers that added a few phone lines.

OT but this reminds me of the BP claims for the blowout in the Gulf of Mexico. BP said they'd pay no questions asked and some attorney's made a good living off that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back