PZ 37 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening folks
wink.gif

Off of a co workers new to him 2017 Nissan Sentra. Had this and judging by local quick lube I used to work at (pennzoil place) PP 5W20 in the sump. 43k on vehicle and 3,993 on oil and filter. Put a NAPA GOLD and some PP 5W20 he supplied in and back on.

Other than both end caps falling off as I pulled filter out of can, I would say filter looks alright. Not overly impressed though and end caps should not just fall off
frown.gif

20190320_191637.jpg

20190320_191808.jpg

20190320_191824.jpg

20190320_191833.jpg

20190320_191926.jpg

20190320_191931.jpg

20190320_191945.jpg

20190320_192020.jpg

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Seems to happen with Purolator filters sometimes, but at least the end spring holds it all together. The pleats & ADBV look pretty good, though!

Yeah, it does look good media and louver wise
smile.gif

Originally Posted by anndel
Looks like a decent filter. Thanks for the C&P.

You are welcome sir
smile.gif

Good work wild man....

Those are called Rapid Release End Caps for easy dissection of the filter after use
lol.gif

Hope you are doing good. Always good to see you on here
smile.gif

Maybe Purolator is swapping to a glued endcap design, but don't want to shock everyone at once, so they just toss metal caps in them after the fact
wink.gif

So we can now say media tearing, ADV slicing, endcap falling off pieces of junk?

Maybe they should glue some type of endcap material to the cellulose media that bonds better than metal...
whistle.gif

The PZ-37 is the one I took off my sisters care with the problems (LINK)

So those are metal caps just set over fiber end caps … and not potted ?

Originally Posted by 4WD
So those are metal caps just set over fiber end caps … and not potted ?
They're potted, but they still fell off, the steel is too slippery to get glue to stick very well (guessing oil or something on it). Still minor compared to weak media tearing & sliced ADBvs, though.

Tiny. I have used the Titan V8 spec filter on a QR25DE engine to keep engine racket to a minimum in the Winter. It adds about an inch to the height - and still quite small.

I hope the Napa doesn't have a base end bypass in this version, other wise the filter area will end up below what would be only O.K. for an in-line fuel filter.

Bonding different materials something Fram has pointed out ... and some of them use a ton of glue. They say the PF63E bonds differently and I don't see the ends are ever warped ... think I might rig up a little pull test ...
Will have a couple to cut tomorrow

BTW, Denso on my boat has no end caps

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
The bypass valve is open, off to one side.

It's an optical illusion. The reason was pointed out when your former self always posted about this - it can't be open even if it was off center slightly because of the way the seat is designed. Go back and find those threads your former self posted in.

Bypass valve close-up photos:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4095638/Purolator_dome-end_bypass_pics

?? This bypass valve is OPEN, and the spring is OFF TO ONE SIDE, just as I said. If there are MORE to see, then GREAT.
lol.gif

Someone needs to get their eyes checked, and have a better understanding of mechanical device designs when shown clear photos of such.

Stude ... please take a look at that bypass valve when in your hand and tell us if you see the bypass valve being open.

The pictures show the bypass disk on top of and to the side of the recess lip it goes into and the spring off to one side. Not optical illusion. It's open and off to the side. If people can't see this, not a problem, different conversation.Talk doesn't change pictures.
10.gif

The pictures show the bypass disk on top of and to the side of the recess lip it goes into and the spring off to one side. Not optical illusion. It's open and off to the side. If people can't see this, not a problem, different conversation.Talk doesn't change pictures.
10.gif

It's not and your insistence on continuing the conversation only shows you don't have a clue what your talking about. Cheers.

10.gif

Apparently you did not look at the photos in this link I already posted in this thread - look at the 4th photo.

The disk does NOT sit inside a recessed lip - ever. It sits ON TOP of a lip. It also looks like the disk a slightly tapered where it goes into the hole, so it can't really side side-to-side much at all - not enough to open a leak path. You've had this misconception for how may years now? If you don't believe the photos go buy a Purolator and cut it open to teach yourself what's going on with this bypass valve design.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4095638/Purolator_dome-end_bypass_pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back