Lube Intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just replaced all four ball joints on the 2002 E150 with new Moog grease type. (Broke one 24oz ball peen handle swinging on the axle yoke. Steering knuckles looked like Titanic anchor.)
What's a good lube interval for these? IIRC, they used to say 1K or 2K miles. Don't want to do that again.

Thanks.
Nibbana

I lube the ball joints and tie-rod ends on my Sierra twice a year, which works out to about 6k mi between greasing. My thirteen year old truck still has all the original joints, except for one inner tie rod end, which cannot be greased anyway.

Typically I grease my suspension parts every oil change...say every 3-5,000 miles, with a quality MoS2-fortified grease. Valvoline Full Synthetic (formerly SynPower) comes to mind, along with Schaeffers 238.

Originally Posted by NibbanaBanana
Just replaced all four ball joints on the 2002 E150 with new Moog grease type. (Broke one 24oz ball peen handle swinging on the axle yoke. Steering knuckles looked like Titanic anchor.)
What's a good lube interval for these? IIRC, they used to say 1K or 2K miles. Don't want to do that again.

Thanks.
Nibbana

I probably should have said that I only put about 1K miles a year on this truck so maybe time is a better measure than miles for lube interval.

I do mine every OCI with high moly chassis grease. Only need a pump - don't over grease the things!

I
grease suspension components every 10K miles when I rotate tires. I use green marine grease because that's what's in my grease gun. Never any issues. FWIW if you ever replace u-joints get the non-greasable ones. They are better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back