When to send in oil for testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to get a feeler here. Had my oil pan and timing cover off, replaced oil pump while I was in there. New gaskets, new metal parts. I realize this will vary a bit from vehicle to vehicle, but what's a good waiting period for silicon, break in wear metals, etc to sort themselves out?

Depends on what you're going for and if you plan on getting regular UOAs to continue tracking trends. When I had the head off on my Fusion for valve work, etc.. I started doing UOAs from the next oil change onward. It has proven a great way to continue tracking the engine following the work.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Depends on what you're going for and if you plan on getting regular UOAs to continue tracking trends. When I had the head off on my Fusion for valve work, etc.. I started doing UOAs from the next oil change onward. It has proven a great way to continue tracking the engine following the work.

Admittedly I've not done any tests on this rig yet. But since the oil pump I installed was high pressure / high volume, I want to play around with different oil viscosities to see see if one gives better results than the other. Can't do that while material is shedding though! The pump gives me a fair bit more wiggle room, both to not lose pressure in the Xw20 territory, and not lose flow if I'm going thicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back