Landline Answering Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recommend me one.
smile.gif

I was going to get just the answering machine by itself, but I see now days they come with a cordless phone.

One requirement:
It needs to have its own answering machine built-in because I don't have a voicemail account with the phone company.

Yeah I second Vtech (or AT&T, also made by VTech) or if replaceable AAA batteries are important to you instead of settling for lower capacity shrink wrapped & plugged packs, I know some Panasonic models have those.

One thing in particular I insist on for the base unit is a call # numeric display. There was a time when that was getting to be a rarer feature but a few brands have brought it back.

Link to cell (bluetooth) feature is nice to have too.

Practically anything remotely modern is DECT6 except the cheapest of cheap models. It's definitely worth having for range and transmission clarity.

Try to avoid models with the numbers printed on the top of plastic keys. They will wear off, particularly if you sometimes need to answer with dirty hands or anyone has longer fingernails. Try to avoid models with silicone rubber keys unless you want to have to take it apart and clean the silicone oil off every few years as it comes out of the rubber and fouls the electrical contacts. Most have silicone rubber domes under the keys too but the less silicone there is, the lower the oil gunk rate.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
One requirement:
It needs to have its own answering machine built-in because I don't have a voicemail account with the phone company.

Get a free google voice number. You can then set it up so that it answers your landline if you don't pick up within x number of rings. And if someone leaves a messsage, you can have it delivered to your email.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Get a free google voice number. You can then set it up so that it answers your landline if you don't pick up within x number of rings. And if someone leaves a messsage, you can have it delivered to your email.

Hey I just now set it up Pete! Give me a call and leave a message for a test. 900-2709
smile.gif

As of now, I'm not sure that if someone calls my home phone number, Google Voice will take the message if I don't pickup. I don't know if I have my home phone is linked to the Google Voice or not. But I do remember entering my home phone number into one of the boxes while setting up Google Voice.

As of now, I'm not sure that if someone calls my home phone number, Google Voice will take the message if I don't pickup. I don't know if I have my home phone is linked to the Google Voice or not. But I do remember entering my home phone number into one of the boxes while setting up Google Voice.

When you enter your landline number during setup on Google Voice's page, Google will call your landline and ask you to enter a confirmation code. If this step didn't take place, then your landline number is not linked.

Dumb question, but why are all cordless phones standing upright these days?

Makes it easier to see who's calling you when you're sitting at your desk.

What you guys think of this deal? $39.99 Costco.

I've had Panasonic cordless phones over the years. One is over twenty years old and still works. I have a more modern set with a couple handsets and a digital answering machine, but no experience with the one you showed. But, for that price, it's really hard to go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back