Quality Lug Nuts

Looking for replacement lug nuts for my Fusion. The stock ones are garbage and are starting to deform. I didn't realize there were so many variables for them. Anyhow, which manufacture makes quality lug nuts? I am not going to use Ford replacements. I've read a few good things about Gorilla. I am sure someone will have some thoughts on this.Thanks in advance.

I currently have Gorilla lug nuts but, they're for aftermarket wheels and are skinny(er) in order to fit in the smaller diameter lug holes of aftermarket wheels. Each nut fit the wheel/lug lock socket.

Yes, they're great & well made and are not capped like OE. I am sure that they make full size lug nuts for other vehicles, if they want to turn a profit! Or McGard full replacement lug nuts. IDK if you need to actually buy a particular brand name as I once bought 20 Chromed/Steel lug nuts for a Pontiac to replace the OE capped nuts from my local auto parts store and they were awesome and looked great for years w/o rusting.

Look on line and see what you can find in a fully chromed steel lug nut.

Make sure the lugnut head is not too small for OEM wheels, many come with "tuner wheel" style smaller diameter heads. (be it tapered, ball etc styles)

I will be in the market.. The jeep lugbolts come with notoriously bad caps that distort on them. Will be looking for 1 piece replacements.

I bought lug nuts from Costco- one piece really nice. I think White Knight brand. They were really good price about $0.39 as I recall. Lasted as long as I had that truck with chrome never rusting.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Never seem lug nuts at costco.

When I bought them years ago, I'm sure the ones they had were Gorilla. You need to go to the tire shop for those. They are in plastic bins that may or may not be visible to customers, depending on the location's set up.

The black chrome McGards, which I had (new) left over from my 4th gen f body, are on my factory ST wheels now.
These things are basically NUKE-PROOF!
thumbsup2.gif
smile.gif

The smaller diameter bolt recess holes on my Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 summer wheels require smaller hex lug nuts (17MM hex vs. 19MM, or 3/4" hex, in order to prevent the socket from scraping off the paint), so I use the short, closed end, Muteki SR35s (in a titanium color) for those.

I had two lug nuts that were messed up on my truck. It had American Racing wheels on it when I got it. I thought it would be expensive to replace them due to the wheels but it wasn't. I found a four pack of Dorman lug nuts on O'Reilly 's website for less than ten dollars that were a perfect match. If I hadn't found these, I was going to order a full set of Gorillas from Amazon for around twenty-five dollars that have excellent reviews.

This is really weird. Is this really a thing? The dealer rotated tires on my Jeep and my CX5 for 100K miles, every 5K miles, and nothing ever went wrong, even using power tools?

Originally Posted by Ws6
This is really weird. Is this really a thing? The dealer rotated tires on my Jeep and my CX5 for 100K miles, every 5K miles, and nothing ever went wrong, even using power tools?
Well-you live in no-rust land, and if your sealer used torque sticks and/or a torque wrench, there's really no reason for them to get damaged. Most of my lug issues seem to be rust related & some doofus over-torqued them in the past & damaged them.

Originally Posted by Ws6

It's a known/stated problem on most of the Ford performance platform forums, with multiple posts/warnings on the topic.
frown.gif

As soon as I read the first one about this hassle, I went out and changed the factory 'vanity cover' lug nuts for those McGard black chrome ones I had sitting in the basement.
wink.gif

Are these the McGard lug nuts you have? I really like these. I've been using these one car for 19 years, now and on another for 11 years. That includes a period of about 5 years where they were removed and replaced just about every weekend for SCCA autocross! Great product.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jjjxlr8
Are these the McGard lug nuts you have? I really like these. I've been using these one car for 19 years, now and on another for 11 years. That includes a period of about 5 years where they were removed and replaced just about every weekend for SCCA autocross! Great product.

[Linked Image]

No, I have the McGard regular old bulge hex models (but in black chrome finish), as I do not trust ANY of the spline drive type lug nuts, yup, even ones of McGard's quality, and despite your hard use experiences with them.
wink.gif

I despise those spline drive lug nuts, unless that is all that will fit an aftermarket wheel. The socket is very thin, and will get destroyed with an impact, plus if you break it, you are SOL. At least with a 3/4 hex you could easily find help. Also addressing an earlier post finding 99 cent lug nuts, they will work if you don't mind rusty nuts a couple years later after the chrome falls off, and you have to pound the socket on those too.

Last edited:
Back