Turn signal bulbs for '15 BMW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The left rear turn signal is going out. The manual says P21WLL, but the only vendor I've found with that code is RockAuto; and they're the basic incandescent bulbs that I've used in cars for many years. Here is a video of a young man replacing his taillight bulbs on an F30 chassis like mine, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQOgsFi4Qpc, and they are clearly those kind of bulbs. Advance Auto has them too, 7506LL bulbs.

Is that correct, or has the 2015 BMW gone to LED bulbs?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
If' you're unsure (enter VIN) https://realoem.com

Thanks, BMW, but the screen comes up almost blank except for a link to something called "ezoic."

Weird. Try this https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

Anyways that appears to be the correct bulb.

I found it with a search on DuckDuck Go. Yes, the bulb does look like the standard one. I can pick up a pair at O'Reilly's, and order a pair from RockAuto to have as a backup. Autozone tried to tell me they didn't have it because it was an LED bulb.

Originally Posted by Miller88
BMWs have turn signals?!

Sorry, had to

Like the Corolla and Sentra they're optional.
grin2.gif

The left rear turn signal is going out. The manual says P21WLL, but the only vendor I've found with that code is RockAuto; and they're the basic incandescent bulbs that I've used in cars for many years. Here is a video of a young man replacing his taillight bulbs on an F30 chassis like mine, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQOgsFi4Qpc, and they are clearly those kind of bulbs. Advance Auto has them too, 7506LL bulbs.

The easy way to tell is park the car, turn on the hazards and look at the turn signals.

If you see them dim up and down as they flash, they use incadescents

No dimming up/down = LED.

BMWs have turn signals?!

Sorry, had to

Like the Corolla and Sentra they're optional.
grin2.gif

Especially among Swamp drivers. They are confused by all those stalks sprouting from the steering column -- so they just ignore them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
. . .

The easy way to tell is park the car, turn on the hazards and look at the turn signals.

So what I'd see with an LED setup is

Bright
BRIGHTER !!!
Bright

and with the incandescents,

Dim
Bright!
Dim

Yes?

. . .

So what I'd see with an LED setup is

Bright
BRIGHTER !!!
Bright

and with the incandescents,

Dim
Bright!
Dim

Yes?

LED is off, instant bright, instant off.

There is no filament on a LED to warm up and cool down

You can tell by looking at the assembly that there is a incandescent bulb needed by the back of the light and the reflector of the turns

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BMWs have turn signals?!

Sorry, had to

It's not used but they have it just in case some weirdo decides to use it.

You can tell by looking at the assembly that there is a incandescent bulb needed by the back of the light and the reflector of the turns

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I just didn't want to disassemble the housing to look at the bulbs in situ, if someone would know which bulb to use. The basic 7506 is fine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I just didn't want to disassemble the housing to look at the bulbs in situ, if someone would know which bulb to use. The basic 7506 is fine.

If you don't trust the BMW manual, then you need to go in and check.

7506 is Osram/Sylvania's part number equivalent for P21W. The basic 7506 is fine, but has reduced life compared to the LongLife that comes from the factory.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Go to the dealer and ask for a bulb.

You know, they'd even put it in for you!

This seems like the simplest thing to overcomplicate.

Sure, but I don't feel like selling a pint of blood just to get a bulb replaced. That's not a warranty item and the dealer labor rate is probably higher than I want to think about. Besides, I want to learn about this car as I have all my others.

7506 is Osram/Sylvania's part number equivalent for P21W. The basic 7506 is fine, but has reduced life compared to the LongLife that comes from the factory.

Of course there is the 7506LL long life version from Osram/Sylvania which may be identical to the OE version

Originally Posted by George Bynum

Of course there is the 7506LL long life version from Osram/Sylvania which may be identical to the OE version

The Philips PY21WLL versions for the fronts and P21WLL for the rears came today from RockAuto. The existing bulb is operating without issue and I haven't seen an error message, so I'll keep the bulbs in the trunk for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back