Just spent 22 days in the hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's good that you're ok, I personally would have passed out to learn I had a large mass on my lung...probably would have had a heart attack before they could come back and tell me it was fluid.

I hate hospitals and you're 100% right, you get no sleep in a hospital sat hey check your vitals at 3:00am and the person in the room with you is calling the nurse every half hour. Terrible. It's why as a patient you end up sleeping half the day (boredom and can't sleep at night).

Wow, what a nightmare!. Glad to hear you're home and on the mend though.
Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Well it's good that you're ok, I personally would have passed out to learn I had a large mass on my lung...probably would have had a heart attack before they could come back and tell me it was fluid.
I hate hospitals and you're 100% right, you get no sleep in a hospital sat hey check your vitals at 3:00am and the person in the room with you is calling the nurse every half hour. Terrible. It's why as a patient you end up sleeping half the day (boredom and can't sleep at night).

They put a respiration monitor on my dad while he slept in intensive care and it was going off all the time...I went to visit him and he was desperate, told me he thought he might die because he couldn't rest.
I talked to the doctor and was told that was a critical monitor needed to make sure dad kept breathing while he was sleeping. I told the doctor dad had snored as long as I could remember and it would gradually trail off to silence, then there would be a sudden commotion followed by more snoring. Dad just naturally would stop breathing while he slept, can't remember what the proper term for that is.
The doctor listened with an arched eyebrow and told me it was his opinion this still needed to be monitored...I told him that dad and I were both worried he would die from exhaustion. I had to sign something saying it was my responsibility if dad died during his sleep due to the lack of a monitor. I would rather have him (or me) pass away quietly while resting that die in a panicky state because he was exhausted due to the stupid monitor...he was in his late 70s at the time and had just had a stroke, if it was his time to peacefully in his sleep that was better than torturing the man.

Sorry to hear and get well soon
thumbsup2.gif

BobsArmory - glad to hear you're on the mend. I had pneumonitis (pneumonia/bronchitis) once, and it's the sickest I've ever been. Wasn't hospitalized, though, I spent about a week in bed, taking antibiotics and so on. Pretty weak for a while after that. I wish you the best.

Originally Posted by Railrust

I pass out easily when it comes to medical issues. It runs in the family.

Glad the OP is home and hope you're doing well!

Whew, that sounded rough. Hang in there and get well.

A bout of pneumonia laid me low for a month back in '08. During my mastectomy a yr later, the anesthesiologist suctioned a liter of gunk out of me while the surgeon was working on my arm pit. I was very fortunate to be diagnosed early. .
grin2.gif

3. Hospital beds are the most uncomfortable creations ever made by man.

Probably intentional to make those who don't need to stay, leave, to free up beds for those who really do need them.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Wow. Hope you have a good recovery and really hope you have good insurance. My wife just spent 2.5 days in and it was over $20k.

I should start a raffle and see who comes the closest to the final bill!

The one think I currently have is great health insurance

My wife and I were trying to keep track but we lost the count.

As I recall my blood was sampled 26 times
I had my vitals checked every 4 hours
Had 23 chest xrays
5 CAT Scans
Intravenous Antibiotics every 6 hours
Lytic therapy twice a day which lasted 4 hours each was from 11 AM to 3 PM and 11 PM to 3AM (6 days)
6 IVs Plus 3 that were botched because I was so dehydrated at one point
2 complete sets of chest tubes. 1 set for the initial drain and lytic therapy and the other set post surgery.

I did have a private room and much was done in room (even most of the xrays) but sleep was when and where you could find it.

Woah! Glad you're doing ok.

In '89, I was 21 and had a collapsed lung. Only started out as an ache in my upper left shoulder. I only went to the doctor when I was lying on my back I could hear a squishing sound every time my heart would beat. Freaked me out! It was pushing an air bubble around.
Three separate tries to fix it...third left me with a stapled lung and a 10 inch scar which fixed it. 21 days. Awful food and yes, uncomfortable beds.

Glad your OK. That stuff is scary for sure.

I had a bout of walking pneumonia 5yrs ago or so. It really put me out of commission. I missed almost a week of work, several doc visits, rounds of meds and chest X-rays. I think the cough remained for a month or more. One thing I found out around that time with bloodwork is I had a very low vitamin D count. Getting my vitamin D levels back up by taking vitamin supplements helped my immune system immensely.

Medical bills are frightening. It makes you wonder with these $10k/day, $3mil+ hospital bills, do insurance companies really pay that much or do they negotiate it down behind the scenes? There's so many out there that have spent weeks or more hospitalized, there's no way they could pay out that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back