Corvette UA0 with Redline 5w30: High Lead

Hi DH,

Read all pages here as I am trying to figure the oil in my 2013 10k mi z06 stock heads. DD, cold starts, autox 1x mo. New to me unknown oil now, assume dealer serviced. Used RL 10 yrs in my ls6, excellent. But, this is ls7 with it's own "characteristics".

So read all 20 pgs, long/short going with M1 0w-40 & will get old oil Blackstoned and will pull a sample of new @ 3k mi. Wish me luck & THANKS for all this discussion/info!

Froggy

I didn't read all the posts however as a long time Corvette owner of about 20 years I know quite a bit about their quirks. The 6th generation Z-06 Corvettes are known to have cylinder head issues and this may be where your wear is coming from. Do a google search and you will find many articles on how to correctly repair the heads in order to prevent dropping a valve. I know there are many aftermarket manufacturers that can redo the heads. One such product is called a Frankenstein head and they have had good results. I would get those heads redone correctly before you have more severe issues. I know it costs about $2000.00 for parts and labor if you have it done by a competent shop and thats from start to finish without taking anything apart yourself. I bought my 05 new but is just a Z-51 with the 6.0 engine and it doesn't use a drop between changes.

Just read thru entire thread. Interesting, even for someone who does not have a Vette, or any motor even similar to yours. But I do have Pb reading in the low 30's...on the one and only UOA I have done on the Ford.

My question is, now that your UOA's look so good (except maybe Fe), why did you have to replace the heads? Should the UOA's have given you warning? OK, I'll shut up until you answer; maybe it was a "power upgrade."

Last edited:
So here is my latest Blackstone report. As a reminder I had new GM heads replaced after they were inspected and valve seats lapped by Richard at WCCH. OEM powder metal guides and all other components are stock.

This is the first full (3K miles) oil change since my heads were replaced. I did change oil after the first 500 miles. So total of 3.5K miles since heads replaced. Everything is consistent with previous reports except increase of Iron (2-3X my average). Do you think this is normal and more time necessary till motor is completely flushed out or do you think this is indicative of new GM powder metal guides wearing in or wearing poorly?

The motor continues to be quiet. And there was very little, less than ever iron fuzz on my magnetic oil plugs. So I was surprised to see the iron levels up so much.
cheers3.gif
DH

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Always like seeing this car's reports. Planning to keep her for a while longer?

I most certainly would if I owned one.
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

The LAST very high performance naturally aspirated Vette out there, save for the C7 Grand Sport with all of the track options, which is still down on power to this car as it came from the factory, yup, even with most of the bolt-ons (excepting heads/cam changes) which could be done to the LT-1s.
frown.gif

Thanks guys. No plan on ever selling this car. I AutoX twice a month and daily drive it.

Any comments on the IRON ??!!

DH

Originally Posted by Dirty_Howie
Thanks guys. No plan on ever selling this car. I AutoX twice a month and daily drive it.

DH

As long as it trends down going forward I wouldn't worry.

Originally Posted by Dirty_Howie

DH

Iron is not a big deal, The oil you have in there is probably the best you can buy. Don't get bent out of shape about the Iron. Another major oil brand did had the same thing and the concensus is that it is a non-issue.

Thanks guys. I certainly am hoping for a downward trend.
And iron is certainly the metal I am least concerned with and very happy others especially lead continue to be low.

DH

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Falken
After reading up just now that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40 has a NOACK of 13, I just can't recommend Pennzoil products anymore.

I would seriously pull out the Big Guns and go Amsoil SSO 0W40 for two OCIs and get another oil report.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...-series-100-percent-synthetic-motor-oil/

I just don't think Red Line is working out on your car. And yes I agree with others the 30wt might be too thin!

Why can't you recommend Pennzoil anymore. Just curious if I missed something.
I didn't have a good result with my last oci of Pennzoil platinum but I can't say it was the oil to blame, I just dunno why.

DH try skipping the Auto Rx how you have maintained your Vette there is no reason to use it. Mobil One in the past has shown to produce higher than average iron you can try another brand 40 grade if you like.

Dave

Not sure what you are saying?
My IRON has been low has always been low until this last report which followed my head replacement.

DH

Mobil One historically has produced higher than average iron numbers in UOA. This with the facts of using Auto Rx which I would skip in your situation and you have new heads is adding a few variables for the uptick in iron. Honestly I would just use Mobil One and annual UOA's with your Vette and continue to enjoy your track time.

Head replacement is very likely the cause of your iron levels jumping. They opened the engine up and now that new valvetrain has to wear in. Don't sweat it.

DH, just wanted to say thank you for posting all your UOA's. I'm going to try mobil 1 0W-40 in my LS1, I usually do 2-3 autoX events each summer. I'll post up my results after 2-3k miles.

Originally Posted by sprinj76
DH, just wanted to say thank you for posting all your UOA's. I'm going to try mobil 1 0W-40 in my LS1, I usually do 2-3 autoX events each summer. I'll post up my results after 2-3k miles.

C5, or 4th gen f-body?

Back