Ford 2019 F350 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to find the list of approved oil for my truck. What is the current status of the CK 4 oils? The web searches i do for Fords WSS-M2C171-F1spec are dead pages.......
Jeff

HMMMM interesting. The Ford link is down.
If it's approved, it's likely to be on the bottles in stores by now.
For all practical purposes, CJ-4 is fine. CK-4 is probably OK if not CK-4/SN.
Delvac and Delo were not on the list at last look, Rotella and Valvoline are. Supertech was, may not be anymore since their change to CK-4/SN.
Harvest King is on the list if you have a Farm and Home or Rural King near you. Mystik was on the list.
Ford's stand on new oils...

What???? They approved 30 weights.. lol. Anyway, neat to see the Canadian offerings such as PetroCan and Co-op DMO (locally made).

Without 30 grades, and even with them, the list really stands out as the latest Fords walking on two crutches, as it were, one the phosphorus level and the other the viscosity. Previous iterations of the list, as in E, didn't seem to have this problem.

My local dealer is recommending 10w30. What brand/ weight are you guys using? I will be using in temps 0 to 100+(Utah) towing fifth wheel toy hauler occasionally. I'm thinking the heavy duty service schedule would be best....(5w 40). Synthetic.

Jeff

In my '15 I run 10w-30 year around, I do tow and haul heavy, but I am in northern OH with the only changes in elevation being overpasses.

While I can see the temp fluctuations you have mentioned (usually no colder here than -15F) I am going to assume towing through mountains you will see higher oil temps than I ever do as the highest I have seen are 215F., and that was towing my loaded 12,000 lb. gvw trailer through Cleveland during rush hour with roughly 3,000 lbs. in the bed.

I have only ever run dino 15w-40 oils in my 7.3 and 6.0 and have seen oil temps as high as 245 to 250 and have never had a problem. You guys worry way to much and are brainwashed into thinking that syn oil is the holy grail to everything. There is a lot of marketing in syn oil. Follow the money.

Originally Posted by arowbat
My local dealer is recommending 10w30. What brand/ weight are you guys using? I will be using in temps 0 to 100+(Utah) towing fifth wheel toy hauler occasionally. I'm thinking the heavy duty service schedule would be best....(5w 40). Synthetic.

Jeff

With the steep grades, towing, and temps in Utah, agree that 5w40 seems like the choice.

10w30 is factory fill.
Ford says 5w40 for severe, and that includes a stupid number of situations that all add up to CYB on Ford's end.
I run 15w40 because the temps I operate in do not require a 5w40, and if following the OLM I'll show about 4% fuel dilution.
For me, the sweet spot is about 6000 miles, oil and filter, every other change it gets a new wound string core in the Racor bypass.

Last edited:
I planning on running T5 10w30 or MC 10w30 in mine. I tow a handful of times a year at a max ox 5-7K.

Originally Posted by beanoil
Mystik was on the list.

My UOA from Mystik JT-8 15w40 SynBlend showed great wear numbers, even better than the more expensive Full Synthetic 5w40's I had ran previously. All while towing our travel trailer during the hotter summer camping season where I see oil temps of 260° climbing grades.

If it's approved and available to you I would highly recommend it.

I have not seen any data that shows a 10w-30 HDEO inferior to wear protection of a 5w-40. None whatsoever.
I understand what Ford "recommends". However all they "require" for warranty coverage is a lube that meets their F1 spec. A spec, BTW, that has 0w-40, 5w-30, 5w-40, 10w-30, 10w-40, 15w-40 all in the same list ....
I just don't see the data backing up their position.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/additionalinfo/dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted by arowbat

Jeff

Hi Jeff. I also live in Utah. Phillips 66 HDEOs are on Ford's approved list There's a Distributor south of Ogden that sells Phillips 66 HDEOs at very competitive prices.

If you're interested, PM me. I'm using Guardol ECT semi-synthetic, both the 15W40 and the 10W30 in the Detroit motor in my Semi-Truck, and I've had very good results.

SavagePatch, the numbers you got from Mystic JT-8 are very impressive, especially compared to two more expensive Big Name brands!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back