Problems After Adding 2 Stroke To Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read just about everywhere that many people are adding 2 stroke TCW3 to their diesel. So i decided to try it in my 2006 Dodge Cummins at a mixture of 1 oz per gallon which seems to be the going mix rate. After adding it i could tell that the engine was quieter and was very happy. After running it through 2 tank fulls one day after a drive i got home, put it in park and it was bucking like it was running off 3 cylinders. Really ruff idle. I have not used it sense. Truck still does not seem to idle as smooth as it used to. Do not know if it has anything to do with the 2 stroke but am just wondering if anyone else has had any problem with running 2 stroke in their diesel?

Two things. I haven't heard of a dose rate that high, normal mix is 640:1, or about 1 ounce per FIVE gallons of fuel. Second, did you add it and then nothing else between when it started running rough, or did you add fuel in the meantime? It sounds more like that, to me. I'd change your fuel filter and see if it's buggered up with anything, and for good measure use a can of Liqui-Moly Diesel Purge as directed on the can.

Considering the seeming thousands of people who have used TCW3 without problems, I doubt yours is 2-stroke related. Which TCW3 did you use?

What problem are you attempting to solve? Lubricity or something else? I have seen posts in various diesel forums about adding TCW-3 oil to a tank of fuel to increase lubricity and the claims about how much it helps. I have also seen posts claiming just the opposite and how it can harm the DPF over the long term (though your 2006 is "pre-emissions" and should not have a DOF). Though situated in South Africa, this 2-Stroke Oil In Diesel A Technical Study seems to be very straightforward and analytical in its approach and gives some good insight into the lubricity of two-stroke oil in diesel fuel.

SubieRubyRoo

The only times i added the 2 stroke is when i filled up. I would add it before i added the diesel. I used Walmart super tech tc-w3 Outboard. I have changed both my factory and my lift pump filter sense it started running ruff. Factory filter looked good. Lift pump filter is a spin on so i could not see the condition of it.

The problem is likely separate from your dosing. Many of us having been doing this for a long time(over 20 years) on various platforms with no such issues.

Yeah maintenanceman guessing it is just a coincidence that it happened after only 2 tanks after starting the 2 stroke. Just my luck. I'm going to run just the cleaner in the diesel and see if it clears up.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I run roughly 1oz per gallon of fuel in mine for lubrication reasons. Never had anything weird happen.

Same.

I run 128:1 in every diesel engine I own - have been since 2006 (13 years) and never any problems.

In some of them, I run 40:1 to 50:1 used engine oil.

NONE of my 9 diesel engines are "emissions controlled"

Another user here of 2Stroke oil added to my diesel for years without issue. An ounce for every gallon fuel. I stopped 2 years ago, only because we now have 2% biodiesel and I understand the mix now has enough lubricity and I can do away with the 2T oil.

Last edited:
I ran 1 oz to a gallon for my old 1999 Dodge Ram with the Cummins. No problems. It was a mechanical injector pump, Bosch VP44. In my 2015 PSD I use one of the name brand additives as the injector pump is more sophisticated. One additive for the winter and another for the summer.

I've used 1 oz. gallon in all my IDIs, and also in my (sold) ‘02 Ram with the VP44 IP, but I don't see a need to use it in my CR ‘06 Ram in my sig, it shouldn't need lubricity additives (although I do use silver bottle Power Service occasionally).

Originally Posted by doitmyself
The following peer reviewed paper says that the common amount to add per gallon is about 0.6 ounce. It goes on to not recommend the practice for numerous reasons such as valve damage and injector clogging.

https://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oil-in-diesel-technical-study.php .......Maybe you just need to clean the system up (injectors, etc.).

Bear in mind that article is with regard to motorcycle 2 stroke oils, not the TCW-3 ashless oils that are recommended.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Two things. I haven't heard of a dose rate that high, normal mix is 640:1, or about 1 ounce per FIVE gallons of fuel. Second, did you add it and then nothing else between when it started running rough, or did you add fuel in the meantime? It sounds more like that, to me. I'd change your fuel filter and see if it's buggered up with anything, and for good measure use a can of Liqui-Moly Diesel Purge as directed on the can.

Considering the seeming thousands of people who have used TCW3 without problems, I doubt yours is 2-stroke related. Which TCW3 did you use?

The 640:1 ratio is for gasoline engines.

The people experimenting with it in diesel applications seem to have settled on a TC-W3 heavier mixture.

Dump a 32 oz bottle straight into my 36 gallon tanks when filling. Zero issues over tens of thousands of miles with my Cummins 6.7 engines.

I use TCW3. It's meant for water cooled engines. Motorcycle 2SO is meant for air cooled engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back