New Toyota Tacoma oil recommentation

Status
Not open for further replies.
normally i would say any synthetic 10W30, but they rarely are listed as an option, 5W30 synthetic may be on your approved list, + for warranty purposes keep receipts + records of spec oil used. that said i would dump my free oil from the VW dealer in my 2001 1.8T jetta + put 10W30 synthetic in as soon as i got home. later on as sludge issues were noted for that engine VW changed spec to synthetic, i was ahead of the game + traded it 200,000 later!! if you want a long lasting skip the xxW20's IMO

Originally Posted by Moondawg
3.5L V6, it lives in So. Texas.

Quaker State, Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil or Mobil-1..... take your pick. Buy the OEM oil filter at the dealer or Walmart.

While under warranty just use the 0W-20 called out in the Tacoma owners manual to reduce the angst in the rare event you have a warranty issue and oil used comes into question.

That being said, the same 2GR-FKS engine is used in the Australian Model Highlander/Kluger. Their owners manual gives flexibility to use anything from 0W-20 through 15W-40. I personally would not sweat using a 5W-30 in this engine.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Since you live in Texas, just get whatever SN or SN+ rated 5w30 is on sale when you're at the store. They'll all work just fine.

If/while your truck is under warranty, follow the owner's manual which says 0w20 or 5w20. After warranty, 100% this ^

The manual definitely says "0w20 is the recommended oil", and tries to steer you towards using it... but it also says (at least for my Prius) that a higher grade may be appropriate if vehicle is operated at higher speeds or extreme load situations. That's basically a legal "green light" for thicker grades if needed. And as someone else demonstrated - the Australian manuals show a super wide viscosity range... so no worries about grades. 0w20 could technically yield you the best mileage... thicker grades may protect better. It's really up to you.

I run Mobil 1 0w40 in my 2015 Prius. Runs great. No discernible loss in MPG. I've been pairing it with a TRD oil filter.

Originally Posted by Moondawg
3.5L V6, it lives in So. Texas.

To follow up mine has Mobil 1 0w40 in it right now. I run down 37 and way out west on I10.
Under warranty and covered with this lubricant.

Last edited:
So. Texas so any name brand 5W-30 like Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Havoline, Castrol, Walmart SuperTech, Amazon Basics, etc.

Originally Posted by ad244
This stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...;linkId=63c3026e52128054ac43225d102026a6

You're in warranty.

Please... stop... saying... things... like... this. Toyota has to advocate, recommend, and state 0w20 based on CAFE rules... but this doesn't mean it's the only lubricant allowed - nor that it's always the ideal choice. The OP should consider things like his/her driving style (around town -vs- freeway), towing, mountainous grades -vs- flat land, etc. Southern Texas gets a bit warm... so "cold weather performance" shouldn't be too relevant.

Here's a quote directly from the Tacoma (and every other Toyota) Owners Manual:

"The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

Last edited:
All things being equal, if my engine allowed me the choice between 0w20 and 5w30, I'd go with a synetic 5w30 and call it a day. Then I'd simply run 6,000 mile oil changes in that Toyota engine all the way up till 300,000 miles...and die fat dumb and happy.

That's not my life, my 2018 Chevy Silverado requires 0w20 and uses this stupid lifter collapsing system that is operated off of the oil. All I would need is for me to put 5w30 in it and have one of those lifters collapse (and never go back up), and have GM void my warranty. And from I've read...they're going to collapse anyway, probably right after warranty.

Last edited:
It's rare to see our 2018 Silverado in V4 whereas our 2017 Tahoe goes in V4 often …
Both have M1 EP 0w20 …

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Since you live in Texas, just get whatever SN or SN+ rated 5w30 is on sale when you're at the store. They'll all work just fine.

^^That^^ or dont even need to look for a sale = Super Tech

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back