Aem dryflow vs Motorcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought this AEM Dryflow to use instead of the Motorcraft in my 2018 Ford F-150 5.0L. I'll be keeping the new Motorcraft as a spare to use for when I clean the aem. Anyone have good experiences with these aem filters? I haven't used them before. But for $40 US shipped to my door from amazon it seemed too hard not to pass up... they advertise an efficiency rating in the 99+ % range.

5DF0A3A3-0792-4159-ACCC-06BB7A45DFC0.jpeg

D533BA6C-2B51-4998-A362-A1951F56DF37.jpeg

I have on for my 99 Tacoma and it works well. I clean it a couple times a year with soap/water, let dry, and reinstall it. My purchase price was closer to $50 six plus years ago.

I would love one. They DO filter better than K&N.

It's just that air filters for my F150 are only $6 from RockAuto - - Is there any REAL benefit from getting an AEM?

Not really sure on much for benefits. It's cleanable. So less waste. Filters very well with a high efficiency rating. They are sturdy so they should last well and the seal is very pliable. Not sure what the efficiency ratings would be for some of the cheaper filters on rock auto for a comparison.

Originally Posted by advocate
Not really sure on much for benefits. It's cleanable. So less waste. Filters very well with a high efficiency rating. They are sturdy so they should last well and the seal is very pliable. Not sure what the efficiency ratings would be for some of the cheaper filters on rock auto for a comparison.

Hastings is a good brand that I trust (Baldwin/Clarcor) for $6

There are cheaper ones - I did order one of the ULTRA-POWER 46418 {#FA1632} for $3.63 - - we'll see what it looks like when I get it!
grin.gif

I change it every 50,000 miles ($24 if I make it to 400,000 miles) ...... it's really pretty tough to beat paper efficiency numbers with a woven fiber air filter.

I strongly discourage people from using any sort of "high performance" filter on their stock tuned daily driver because the stock intake system does not limit HP 99% of the time. That 1 percent of the time occurs at WOT and is costing you less than 10 hp.

More specifically, the panel filter is rarely the restriction. The intake ducting itself usually turns out to be the restriction.

But for one strictly after washability, there's no harm here. DryFlow filters very well.

I've got AFE ProDry on the Tacoma 4.0L and CRV 1.5L T. Haven't touched the CRV yet (12K miles) the Tacoma I blew out to clean at 30K interval. I may push it to 60K before cleaning.

I installed an AEM Dryflo air filter on my 2014 Focus 5 speed M/T along with the 'snorkel delete' to remedy low speed drivability issues when coming off the clutch from a start (the car hesitated and bucked as if it were choking for air)….this minor modification made for a huge improvement....I'll eventually do a UOA to see how it's filtering....

Originally Posted by Traffic242
AEM is owned by K&N so, you basically have a dry K&N filter.

And... Fiat owns Chrysler. so your Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L 392 is basically a Fiat 500

[Linked Image]

Right?

The dry aren't simply non oiled filters they're different material many times instead using synthetic fibers. Aem for example makes 3,5, 7 and 10 layer filters depending on application and dry of oiled. There's but a few companies that own all the nation breweries. Try handing a bud drinker a Old Milwakee see how that goes haha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back